The Smile & Laughter Clinic.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
The Smile & Laughter Clinic.
:)
Having recently joined this venerable forum, I have viewed the various threads and posts here with great personal interest. Many are inspirational,others harrowing and indicative of individual experience of this accursed affliction of Dementia in it's various forms.
As someone with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, I can still identify with the joy that people feel in living and being involved with the day to day expectations of maximising it, despite cognitive decline due to the condition.
I recognise that while there is great sadness in losing one’s cognitive abilities, family members and caregivers can still share a wealth of love and moments of joy and laughter with people living with dementia.
With the help of these occasional posts, I hope that our view of Alzheimer’s can through humour and laughter, shift from “the long goodbye” to “the long hello.”
These posts and their humorous content, are not intended to be flippant or disrespectful of the seriousness of the AD condition, but are intended to shine a light into the dark private places that can be depression and anxiety.
Providing occasions for humour, laughter, and this celebration of life, IMHO is another weapon in our armament for helping to improve the quality of life for those who have the disease in it's various forms, including that of their carers and family.
I invite you all to contribute to the Smile and Laughter Clinic post, through your participation and donation of suitable chuckle material,whether it be a good joke, humorous anecdote, story ,photo or cartoon image. All donations will be gratefully received and enjoyed.

Joke 1. - "I've sure gotten old! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees. Fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my driver's license".

Joke 2. - Doctor Ryan tells his patient, Muriel, 'Well I have good news and bad news...'
Muriel responds, 'Tell me Doc. What's the bad news?'You have Alzheimer's disease.'Good heavens!'exclaims Muriel, 'So, what's the good news?''You can go home and forget about it.' Says Dr Ryan.

An Alzheimer’s Sneaky Thief!

Even before Ed became demented, when we went to restaurants he had the odd habit of wrapping food items in napkins, putting them in the breast pocket of his sport coat and taking them home. These were things like the little packets of ketchup or mustard from McDonalds or pieces of leftover bread from just about any restaurant. Not that he needed those things – it was just a habit. And one I found amusing at the time.

Well, when he developed Alzheimer’s he kept up that habit when he was living at Alois Center. After finishing each meal he would carefully wipe his spoon clean with a napkin, then wrap the spoon in another napkin, put it in the breast pocket of his sport coat and take it back to his room.

Pretty soon his room would have spoons all over the place so the staff would go get them and return them to the kitchen. But sure enough the next day he would start a new collection.

Then the staff tried to stop him of this habit by giving him plastic spoons, which they hoped he’d have less interest in. It worked for a while, but soon he started stealing the plastic spoons as well.

I often sat with him when he was eating and had observed this behavior many times. Finally, one day when he started his cleaning ritual I said to him, “Don’t take those spoons, Ed. They don’t belong to you. They belong to the facility.”

“Oh, no!” he said, loudly enough for everyone to hear. “I take them every day with no remorse!”

He was aware he’d said something funny, and we both burst into laughter.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I will make another appointment for the smile and laughter clinic on the way out...with a smile on my face

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
Hi Sandpiper, loved Joke 2. And here's one for you.........
Husband sitting in bed, looking rumpled. Wife at dressing table, slathering on lotions and potions. Husband, looking for sympathy, observes: "It's no fun being old, I've lost my hair, my face is all wrinkled, I can't see my feet for my belly". Silence from wife. "Well, have you got anything to say"? asks husband hopefully. "There's nothing wrong with your eyesight", she replies.:D

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Nice one II Gufo,:D

Here are a couple more.

Joke 3. - A man buys a pet parrot and brings him home. But the parrot starts insulting him and gets really nasty, so the man picks up the parrot and tosses him into the freezer to teach him a lesson. He hears the bird squawking for a few minutes, but all of a sudden the parrot is quiet. The man opens the freezer door, the parrot walks out, looks up at him and says, "I apologise for offending you, and I humbly ask your forgiveness."
The man says, "Well, thank you. I forgive you." 
The parrot then says, "If you don't mind my asking, what did the chicken do?"

Joke 4. - Three sisters, ages 92, 94, and 96, live in a house together. One night the 96-year-old draws a bath. She puts one foot in and pauses. She yells down the stairs, "Was I getting in or out of the bath?"

The 94-year-old yells back, "I don't know. I'll come up and see." She starts up the stairs and pauses. Then she yells out, "Was I going up the stairs or down?"
The 92-year-old is sitting at the kitchen table having tea and listening to her sisters. She shakes her head and says, "I sure hope I never get that forgetful." She knocks on wood for good measure. She then replies, "I'll come up and help both of you as soon as I see who's at the door." 

:D:D:D

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
If someone is into Meths they are either an alcoholic or a South African who loves numbers.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Joke 5. - One day a police panda car pulled up to Granny's home and Grampy got out. The constable explained that this elderly gentlemen had said he was lost in the Victoria park.
'Why, Ivor, 'said Granny, 'You've been going there for over 30 years! How on earth could you say you had got lost?'
Leaning close to Granny so the police officer couldn't hear, he whispered, 'Wasn't exactly lost. I was just too tired to walk home.'

Joke 6. - There was a bit of confusion in the off-licence this morning.* When I was ready to pay for my whisky, the check-out assistant said to me, 'Strip down facing me.'Making a mental note to complain to my Member of Parliament about excessive security running amok, I did just as she had instructed.
When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, I found out that she was referring to my debit card.
I have been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Two elderly people are living in a retirement home near Fareham, he was a widower and she a widow, had known each other for a number of years. One evening there was a community supper in the big arena in the Clubhouse. The two were at the same table, across from one another. As the meal went on, he took a few admiring glances at her and finally gathered the courage to ask her, 'Will you marry me?'

After about six seconds of 'careful consideration,' she answered 'Yes. Yes, I will!'
The meal ended and, with a few more pleasant exchanges, they went to their respective places. Next morning, he was troubled. 'Did she say 'yes' or did she say 'no'?' He couldn't remember.

Try as he might, he just could not recall. Not even a faint memory. With trepidation, he went to the telephone and called her. First, he explained that he didn't remember as well as he used to.

Then he reviewed the lovely evening past. As he gained a little more courage, he inquired, 'When I asked if you would marry me, did you say ' Yes' or did you say 'No'?'

He was delighted to hear her say, 'Why, I said, 'Yes, yes I will.' and I meant it with all my heart.'

Then she continued, 'And I am so glad that you called, because I couldn't remember who had asked me.'
:D:D:D

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi Sandpiper, hope you like this one;

my wife text and said "bob while you are in town buy me something which will make me look sexy" !!
so i stopped off in t*sc*s on the way home and bought myself 12 cans of stella.!!

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Sandpiper, I am really loving your thread. Thought I would be bold enough to submit a favourite of mine,

A cute little old lady goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor I have this problem with wind, but it really doesn't bother me too much. They never smell and are always silent. As a matter of fact I've passed wind at least 10 times since I've been here in your office. You didn't know I was doing it because they don't smell and are silent."
The doctor says, "I see. Take these pills and come back to see me next week."
The next week the lady returns. "Doctor," she says, "I don't know what the heck you gave me, but now my wind, although still silent, stinks terribly".
"Good," the doctor said. "Now that we've cleared up your sinuses, let's work on your hearing."

:D

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Hi Sandpiper, I am really loving your thread. Thought I would be bold enough to submit a favourite of mine,

A cute little old lady goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor I have this problem with wind, but it really doesn't bother me too much. They never smell and are always silent. As a matter of fact I've passed wind at least 10 times since I've been here in your office. You didn't know I was doing it because they don't smell and are silent."
The doctor says, "I see. Take these pills and come back to see me next week."
The next week the lady returns. "Doctor," she says, "I don't know what the heck you gave me, but now my wind, although still silent, stinks terribly".
"Good," the doctor said. "Now that we've cleared up your sinuses, let's work on your hearing."

:D

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the clinic lilysmybabypup,your chuckle was a real stinker.:D:D:D
Thank you for the contribution,remember to make another appointment any time.:)

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Today's medicinal chuckles consists of :-

Retirement sing along to the tune of: 
'My Favourite Things'
You remember: the tune from 'The Sound of Music'

Rennies and nose drops and needles for knitting, 
Zimmers and handrails and new dental fittings, 
Bundles of magazines tied up in string, 
These are a few of my favourite things.
Cadillacs, cataracts, hearing aids, glasses, 
Polident, Fixodent, false teeth in glasses, 
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings, 
When the pipes leak, 
When the bones creak, 
I simply remember my favourite things, 
And then I don't feel so bad.
Hot tea and crumpets, and corn pads for bunions, 
No spicy meals or food cooked with onions, 
Bathrobes and heating pads, hot meals they bring, 
Back pains, confused brains and no fear of sinning, 
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinning, 
More of the pleasures maturity brings- 
When we remember our favourite things.
When the joints ache, when the hips break, 
When the eyes grow dim, 
I simply remember the great life I've had, 
And then I don't feel... so bad.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
A wee funny poem.Enjoy.:)

Forgetter Be Forgotten
My forgetter’s getting better,
But my rememberer is broke
To you that may seem funny
But, to me, that is no joke
For when I’m ‘here’ I’m wondering
If I really should be ‘there’
And, when I try to think it through,
I haven’t got a prayer!
Oft times I walk into a room,
Say ‘what am I here for?’
I wrack my brain, but all in vain!
A zero, is my score.
At times I put something away
Where it is safe, but, Gee!
The person it is safest from
Is, generally, me!
When shopping I may see someone,
Say ‘Hi’ and have a chat,
Then, when the person walks away
I ask myself, ‘who the hell was that?’
Yes, my forgetter’s getting better
While my rememberer is broke,
And it’s driving me plumb crazy
And that isn’t any joke.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Archie

Archie, aged 88, has a problem with his house. It has two storeys. It has stairs. When he use the stairs, Archie stops midway to catch his breath. His main problem is that, when he is ready to start again, Archie is unable to remember whether he was going upstairs or downstairs.

Old Hat

A letter to a national UK newspaper in the 1950's declared: 'My grandfather, who is 87, has been converted to nudism. He sits all day long in the greenhouse without a stitch on except for his hat. When I asked him what he wants with a hat on if he's a nudist he hits out at me with his walking stick and hollers, "Because I'm bald."

A Hand for the Bash

In his later life, a former Bishop of Lincoln, UK, found himself having difficulty rising from a park bench where he had stopped to take the weight off his feet. After struggling ineffectively, he was delighted when a little girl offered a helping hand.

'That's very kind of you my dear,' he told her, 'But are you really strong enough?'

'Oh yes, the child retorted, 'I've often helped my daddy when he was much drunker than you.'