The Sense of Humour has taken a knock

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
After a short illness my Mother died yesterday.

Ok, so she was 92 and had not a lot going for her with illnesses which included a broken shoulder, diabetes, dementia and pneumonia but she was my Mum and the only one I had.

The Nursing staff and I made efforts to combat her last illness, pneumonia, efforts which included hand feeding and frequent hospital visits together with my wife, Jean, now wheelchair bound with the effects of Alzheimers.

Together we got my Mother back to a stage where she was due to be discharged from Hospital and, in fact, she was only 12 hours away from returning to her Residential Care Home when she died.

Just suffering the usual pangs of loss and doubt now. Could I have done more? What if this and what if that etc.

The biggest problem I will have over the coming weeks is that there is no one available to sit round the kitchen table with a cup of tea and talk things through as my wife can no longer understand or use words at all and my Sister, who has had a violent attack of the type of Christianity which rejects family life, is very dismissive of the whole family relationship idea.

Ahh well, that's families for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry for the loss of your mother Grommit. Sometimes our sense of humour is sorely tested.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am very sorry to learn of your mother's death. There is sometimes nothing funny to be found.

I hope you get as much support as I have done from TP. Because if you do, that will help.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Aw, Grommit. It's there, alive and kicking, just where your Mum put it down last.

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

You must be exhausted.

Much love and strength to you and Jean, XXX

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
So sorry to read about your Mum Grommit. Wishing you the strength for the future.

How about we sit round a virtual table with you, drinking tea and chatting. We're here when you want. Just tell whoever is around to put the kettle on! Oh and my favourites are plain chocolate biscuits and coffee cake!

Sending a big hug xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I know how you are feeling Grommit as I've also lost my mum this week. Life sometimes is hard to take but we keep on battling old friend and I know that your humour will enrich us all again at some time.

Bless you
xxTinaT

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you grommit.

I prefer custard creams, but if it means I have the honour of your company sitting around and drinking tea with buscuits, I choose having the honour of sitting and chatting with you. Don't need the biscuits.

So sad to hear about your mum.

If only I could jump in the car and give you a huge hug tonight.

Much love grommit.

And a couple of hugs xxxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dear Grommit
So sorry to hear about your Mum
I know its not the same but please talk to us on here
In your heart of hearts you know you did all you possibly could
XXXXXX

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Grommit, the one thing i have found that helps is to retain a sense of humour and to know that all things are inevitable and knowing that to laugh at life.
John.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm really sorry that you have lost your mum Grommit. I can well understand your feelings. I still miss mine over 30 years after she died. I hope your memories will eventually bring you comfort because in them, she will live for ever. X

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum Grommit - please accept my condolences.

I think it's natural to think 'what if we had done so and so...' when someone has died. I hope with time you'll come to accept that you did all you could.

chana

Jul 17, 2012
europe
the sense of humor has taken a knock

im so sorry for your loss. my mom died 8 months ago from alzeimers. i miss her. my dad died from cancer 18 years ago. i miss my parents and i always will. theres nothing wrong with that. what does it matter how old they are--a mom is a mom. a dad is a dad. i dont think age counts.they had a sense of humor that i inherited and it gets me thru a lot. i also have a great husband and children. you always have your memories. nobody can take that from you. reemember that.i have 2 places in my heart--1 for my mom and 1 for my dad.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello grommit, I am sorry to read your sad news about your mum. My sincere condolences.

turbo