The Selfish Pigs Guide

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
This is the title of a book I am reading. Although written in 2003, it’s aimed at the Carer, and is more real than the “Contended Dementia” book I had previously read. This morning though, after an ill timed remark from the OH, I threw my clock at the wardrobe. Never done that before, not even after poogate on Christmas Day. It was my favourite alarm clock and is now broke, and himself didn’t believe that he had said anything, and it didn’t do either of us any good, I feel awful, I seem to be the one that needs help! Perth and Kinross have a carers hub, so I will give them a call when I settle down. You think you are managing, then boom.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Totally understand your frustration and it is better to hit the wardrobe than throw the clock at your husband. You need to find ways to be apart for a few hours several times a week. Day centres, volunteer sitters, whatever. 24 hours a day with dementia is mind and soul destroying.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have heard about this book on the forums before but this time I thought I must get that book myself and it’s now on my kindle and not before time. It’s brilliant and I wish I had read it before but better late than never. I say to myself I must have a break from this and then feel bad about leaving him but no more. I need that break and he will be ok. I am not indispensable even though he is so needy.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
This is the title of a book I am reading. Although written in 2003, it’s aimed at the Carer, and is more real than the “Contended Dementia” book I had previously read. This morning though, after an ill timed remark from the OH, I threw my clock at the wardrobe. Never done that before, not even after poogate on Christmas Day. It was my favourite alarm clock and is now broke, and himself didn’t believe that he had said anything, and it didn’t do either of us any good, I feel awful, I seem to be the one that needs help! Perth and Kinross have a carers hub, so I will give them a call when I settle down. You think you are managing, then boom.
It's a good read. I also liked 'Before I Forget' by Dan Gasby - written after his wife's dementia diagnosis.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I have just ordered the book on Kindle and must remember, “Do not chuck it at furniture nor indeed people!”

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Looking forward to reading the chapter “pushing them down the stairs”!! I still work, I did do 2 full days, now it’s 2 5hr days, so when I got home tonight at 5pm, he was ok. I had worried all afternoon, but he was fine, very calm. I will keep reading this book, and look for the other one mentioned. Thanks all.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Oh yes know that feeling and then I remember the chapter ‘Pushing them down the Stairs’. What a wonderful chapter and conveys everything about our frustrated feelings about our Piglet! I am finding the book hugely helpful and enjoyable, who would have thought it?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Oh yes know that feeling and then I remember the chapter ‘Pushing them down the Stairs’. What a wonderful chapter and conveys everything about our frustrated feelings about our Piglet! I am finding the book hugely helpful and enjoyable, who would have thought it?
I am now at that chapter! It’s a good book. I need to find a pig brooch somewhere. It could become like a secret society, because as the book say, “we are invisible”.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a used copy of the 2006 edition from an eBay seller. Spoilt myself with a whole £3.70's worth of reading matter!
Well done! And have a glass of wine whilst reading. He advocates that!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have to say that the old screaming into the pillow technique still works!
Love a good storm you can let vent ! Big low coming soon!!!!!