the role of a cpn

WENLA

Feb 12, 2004
south yorkshire
hi everyone
we seem to be coming across new problems with mum who has vascular dementia. i have recently spoke to dad about the need for possibly cpn involvement for advice and support. i would welcome views from people about the role they play.

Last edited:

kareng

Feb 5, 2004
Bristol
I found my mum's CPN useful when she was living at home. He acted as an intermediary between us and social services, the occupational therapist and consultant. He organised day centre placements, relief care, help around the house, administered tests, and he gave advice and support when I was applying for benefits and then looking for a care home.

However, he was, like all CPNs I think, horrendously overworked and seldom had the time or resources to do as much as he (or we) might have wanted. So, a lot of the time, it was up to me to push him to act. In my experience however, it was great to have someone I could 'push' when necessary who was fully aware of my mum's situation. Another person on my side.

I think it's well worth getting a CPN involved - perhaps it's as well not to expect too much from their involvement however - or to think of it as a partnership between you and them to get the best care for mum.

All the best,

karen

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan