The return of lockdown

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It looked fair for a visit to my wife this afternoon. Before ringing the home I checked my messages. One of the senior staff had rung me earlier. Her message was clear. The home is back into lockdown and all visits are off. So much for the possibility touted in the press of further easing of visiting rules. Not great but nothing to be done about it other than keep on writing my weekly letter.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So sorry to hear this. Why has the home gone back into lockdown? Is it local area or due to the announcements made today?

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
My Saturday visit to my relative has also been cancelled. Return to lockdown was announced yesterday morning with the reason being a worrying rise in cases locally. Sad, but not surprising.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
On the news tonight it was said that 3 local councils (including mine) had reimposed lockdown. The manager at my wife's home said that it was due to rising cases in some homes(not hers). This was before the latest restrictions were announced by the Government.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
@northumbrian_k
Sorry to hear about the lockdown and the aborted visit to your wife.
Nick has finally gotten a place in a home on the park in our village. I am hoping to move him there the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. At the moment the visiting is open to families no lock down. But I feel it will make little difference to Nick now as he does not know where he is most of the time, and much of the time he does not know me.
But lockdown would be a different story if I was unable to see him at all.....I would be very sad. Good luck and I hope you will see your wife soon.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mums care home went into lockdown several weeks ago after having a number of new Covid cases there, then Greater Manchester became affected so all care homes were closed to visits. Our local area had the restrictions lifted two weeks ago but we've now had a letter from the Care Group of eleven homes telling us that visits will not be restarting for the foreseeable future. I guess I have to be grateful to have seen mum three times since the end of March!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
we've now had a letter from the Care Group of eleven homes telling us that visits will not be restarting for the foreseeable future.

There was a report on BBC news this morning saying that infections in care homes were rising due to transmission by carers and that all care homes were being sent a letter, it did not say the content of the letter.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There was a report on BBC news this morning saying that infections in care homes were rising due to transmission by carers and that all care homes were being sent a letter, it did not say the content of the letter.

Was the report referring to all care homes within a certain geographical area, or all homes across England? The current guidance means that individual Directors of Health are responsible for advising care homes in their area whether visits can go ahead, and it seems that some local authorities are sending out letters to care homes asking them to suspend non-essential visits to protect residents. There are a couple of extracts here from letters sent by two LA’s in the North East: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-10...-to-lock-down-again-as-coronavirus-cases-rise

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It was all homes (assume England), it was on the 05:00 news before BBC breakfast, it sounded like govuk or PHE letter.

Up early to do my weekly early morning shop at a 24hr supermarket.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It was all homes (assume England), it was on the 05:00 news before BBC breakfast, it sounded like govuk or PHE letter.

I found this letter from DHSC which has been published today on the gov.uk site referring to increases in infections in care homes. It is for all providers of adult care (not just England) and highlights the importance of regular testing and consistent use of PPE:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I have just been phoned by my husband’s care home about an incident that has occurred with him, I’m getting these calls every couple of days now. Even his social worker said it s funny there were no issues having to be reported before March. Anyway there was no mention of visiting being stopped, I’m only doing window visits because they can’t seem to find another way because my husband doesn’t understand social distancing. When there was a small spike in our area a few weeks ago they stopped all visiting including window, I challenged it with the LA saying did the virus pass through glass. They quickly came back to me and said it had been a miscommunication ?and window visits were acceptable, very good of them!
So maybe just ask the question if a window visit would be better than nothing x

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I genuinely think local authorities don't want to make decisions in how to manage visiting with 'risk'. The solution is as already laid bare -appropriate use of PPE and testing. Good use of PPE breaks the chain of infection as well as specific infection control measures, if it didn't hospitals would have ceased to function months ago. I feel that much of the decision making is not about public interest but more about dodging bad publicity if a care home does have a rise in cases. And what happens when cases rise despite lockdown? The bottom line is that whatever we do there is always going to be a chance of spread. The logic of closing a care home because another care home in the area has had cases of coronavirus baffles me! Lets see, should we close a hospital because another one in the area has a rise in coronavirus cases? Yes lockdown if it is directly pertinent to do so.

Public safety is paramount, I don't disagree with that at all, being a member of the public, but the layers of beaurocacy beat the hell of sensible decision making.

Ernest

Jan 23, 2018
The CH where my husband is has also stopped all visiting. I have to admit, and please don't think I'm being hard, but I'm rather relieved. I'd started to visit once a week but it soon became clear that I was not helping him as he began going back to constantly asking when was I taking him home. After some discussion with the CH it was decided that I didn't visit for a few weeks. During lock down before, he hadn't mentioned coming home to the carers. He reserves that for me !! I've kept away for 3 weeks and all is ok with him. I phone and speak to him a couple of times a week which is fine. I do so miss him though and constantly worry that he thinks I've abandoned him. I feel so so guilty. Now , no visits allowed so I just can't go. This is such a roller coaster isn't it !!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
That will be the referred to document
Thanks for posting that link. If any care home refers to it we can remind them that the actions recommended do not include any changes to visiting. Indeed visiting is not mentioned at all.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for posting that link. If any care home refers to it we can remind them that the actions recommended do not include any changes to visiting. Indeed visiting is not mentioned at all.

True, although there are quite a lot of media reports this morning, apparently as a result of a 'leaked' document, stating that the number of covid cases in care homes has 'quadrupled' since the start of September and 43 care homes have recorded outbreaks. Obviously the increase in positive tests results could simply be because the regular care home testing regime which was due to be in place months ago has only recently been implemented in many homes but difficult to know the actual position without any meaningful statistics being published. There's been speculation that shielding may be reintroduced and I wouldn't be surprised if care homes all go back into lockdown again but I'll be visiting mum this morning as planned and fingers crossed the visits will continue.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
There is a two page spread in the Mail on Sunday about peoples experiences with care homes and visiting or more correctly no visiting, they are asking people to e mail them wither own personal stories, it’s health@mailonsunday.co.uk. I’ve emailed as I thinks it’s very very important that the public and all the faceless officials are told told straight what both the sufferers and families are going through. I’ve asked if my story is published that they don’t use my name.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they are saying that the spread of cases is because care staff are testing positive after they have been at work due to the delay in testing and with relaxation of rules has found those in care homes are catching it from the staff