The 'Proverbial has hit the fan'

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I will try and keep this as short as possible. DH went into respite last week Mon to Fri. He is a high falls risk and apparently had two falls whilst there. One causing a bump and cut on the back of his head and a graze on his elbow. The discgdisc note said he'd been checked by a GP and was ok. Was checked over after his second fall and no injuries were noted. However, after getting him home and the carer, from an outside agency, came to help put him to bed he was covered in bruises on his arms, legs, shoulder, carpet burns on the outside of both knees and lump and bruise on his rib. The carer contacted her on-call supervisor to recheck the bruises etc and read the discharge sheet. We were all horrified and it was suggested that a trip to on-call doctor on Saturday morning was advisable. The doctor stated that the discharge sheet and the injuries didn't make sense and arranged to have him admitted to hospital for an x-ray, CT scan and the usual tests.

He is still in hospital and thankfully, no serious injuries. The hospital won't let him home until all the checks and presumably extra help is put in place. Unfortunately he seems to have regressed. Where as before he could walk, albeit with help, go to the loo, eat at the table and drink from a normal mug he diesndo seem to be able to do these things anymore. He's now wearing disposable pants and drinking from a lidded, two handled plastic cup. I know nurses are busy but they are just getting him out of bed, sitting him in a chair and putting cushions on the floor around him in case he falls.

My take is, although I haven't voiced it, that with plenty of help and support he should be home where I think he will improve. My fear is that stuck in hospital he is going to continue to define.

Has anyone else been in a simple position and, if so, how did you resolve it.

Yes, an investigation will be held re the bruises

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s often the case that a stay in hospital or even respite care causes confusion and maybe disorientation and the falls wouldn`t have helped.

The nurses don`t have time for much 1 to 1 care and it can be helpful if family can provide some quality company if they are free to do so.

If there is an investigation into your dads falls and bumps and bruises @Wishful, it may delay discharge. I can only suggest you ask when the doctor in chage will be on their roumds and try to arrange a discussion.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
It`s often the case that a stay in hospital or even respite care causes confusion and maybe disorientation and the falls wouldn`t have helped.

The nurses don`t have time for much 1 to 1 care and it can be helpful if family can provide some quality company if they are free to do so.

If there is an investigation into your dads falls and bumps and bruises @Wishful, it may delay discharge. I can only suggest you ask when the doctor in chage will be on their roumds and try to arrange a discussion.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Thank you. Unfortunately the family all live too far away to do any visiting so it's all down to me. Having discussed it with our sons we thought we'd leave it till Wednesday to see how things are progressing before trying to escalate. I do feel the longer he's in hospital the worse he will be but I also know in the state he's in I couldn't look after him on my own.