The Practicality of Paying for Care in Scotland??

Tammer

Dec 15, 2019
Hi, I suspect my mum may have to go into a care home relatively soon as it hasn't started very well with 4 x visits per day and 1 at night at home. She is back in hospital just now.

It is possible to read lots of things about paying for care and derprivation of assets etc, but how does it actually work in practice? Say someone has some money and more than 1 property, and they have to go into care, how does it actually get paid for? For example, if my mum had to go into a care home in, say, 2 weeks time, this might cost around £1200 a week. Would I / she have to stump up money before she goes into the care home or does it accrue as a debt?

Also, how does the state / council take over her assets? If she went into a care home in 2 weeks would they immediately seize her money and properties?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am not sure how it works at all and am worried that we somehow make a bad decision through ignorance.
Can anyone help?
S

Daisy2004

May 29, 2016
Hi, I suspect my mum may have to go into a care home relatively soon as it hasn't started very well with 4 x visits per day and 1 at night at home. She is back in hospital just now.

It is possible to read lots of things about paying for care and derprivation of assets etc, but how does it actually work in practice? Say someone has some money and more than 1 property, and they have to go into care, how does it actually get paid for? For example, if my mum had to go into a care home in, say, 2 weeks time, this might cost around £1200 a week. Would I / she have to stump up money before she goes into the care home or does it accrue as a debt?

Also, how does the state / council take over her assets? If she went into a care home in 2 weeks would they immediately seize her money and properties?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am not sure how it works at all and am worried that we somehow make a bad decision through ignorance.
Can anyone help?
S
Sorry - just seen this. I am in Scotland too if you still are looking for advice please let me know. Not sure I will have answers but will try. X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You mow will have had contact from the LA finance office asking you to submit details of her assets. They will then tell you what she must pay per week and if this can be done from savings then with POA you can do this. If you have to sell some assets eg a property to meet her bills then you need to put that property on the market. Of course if she has a spouse or a dependant living in the property that changes her liabilities.

Metalpetal

May 10, 2020
Hello - following with interest as we might be in a very similar situation with my mum in Glasgow. Did you get things sorted easily @Tammer ? My concern (as I’m guessing was yours) is that this isn’t necessarily the perfect time to have to sell a house quickly! So I was wondering if Care Home fees can be accrued and then settled when house is sold.

I hope all is going okay with you.