The poor man in India

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
This has been a very wobbly week:rolleyes:

Monday the Dementia Care Advisor came, She was very nice and helpful, she asked if we understood the diagnosis, so I said I did but that Tom, well not really. So she talked about to him about his memory not being so good and he agreed that yes his memory was rubbish.. So far so good, I thought..

She then proceeded to talk about dementia and how it is always progressive and that there is no cure.. Now some people may want or even need this sort of information. I know Tom and he doesn't:eek:

When he was told he had prostrate cancer he just blanked it, I sorted all his treatment and kept his life on an even keel so he could just ignore the whole thing. When I had cancer he just totally ignored the whole thing:rolleyes: SO I KNOW HE DIDNOT NEED TO HEAR THIS !!

Ok he should forget shouldn't he:cool::cool: when I forgot something today he told me I had dementia:D:D

The poor Man in India.. Oh I will get to him;);)

Anyway she talked about direct payment for sitters and live in care if I need a break as at least she agreed that to take him out of a known environment would be detrimental to his independence. she also advised us to get Lasting power of Attorney before Tom is deemed incapable of understanding.. So I have made inquiries about that..When I come back in my next life, it will be as a solicitor:D:D

Anyway he has also seen a vascular surgeon this week about pains in leg.. Op to be arranged later (under a local) he has had his hormone injection for his prostate cancer, his B12 injection and seen his psychiatrist.. And I am having a couple of days away nest week.. He will have 24hour live in care (money and blackmail, a net book, works well with his great-grandson, out of work at the moment.) He is brilliant and can cope with wandering at night! No Grandpops you don't get up at 3am and no we are not going to the pub it is closed:D:D

So yes I can understand the muttering, swearing and aggression; he is feeling very confused and vulnerable. But it is scary and wearing..

Oh you are still waiting to hear about the poor man in India:eek::eek:

Well late this afternoon the telephone rang.. Fine.. You all know that brief silent gap that means an overseas call center:rolleyes::rolleyes:

WELL.. this man in India asks for my Mum, NO NOT A GOOD IDEA..

So my conversation went like this;

"If you don't stop calling to speak to my Mum who died 5 years ago; I swear to god I will find you and wrap the phone cord around your f###ing neck:eek::eek::eek:

Not sure why but he hung up !!

Yes I know he got the lot, but these calls just go on without end and I know my Mum would have approved :D:D:D

So I am now here with my wine and my music.. maybe next week I will be back at the Docs for a return to the antidepressants..

Are any of you still reading ??;);)

Thanks for sticking with me, I appreciate it..

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You don't need antidepressants today girl, you need a bunch of flowers, a medal and standing ovation for dealing with the time waster. Brava lady.x.x.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Yes I'm reading never new you drunk:D:D:D
Oops poor man in India I wonder if he will call back:D
I will raise my glass with you don't like to think of you drinking alone
Cause I've only got coke in mine:D
Love larivy

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Don't blame you Maureen I drink it because it helps with my fruit intake grapes it's one of my five aday fruit that is not brandy:D:D

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Still here, Helen and sorry to read about the man in India. I hope you enjoy your break next week and can unwind with a bottle of Vimto or two. x

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
He is probably sitting at home moaning about these mad British types he has to put up with. :D

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Helen,
Have so enjoyed reading this thread.
On a more serious note for a moment, though, Brian too never wanted to know about his diagnosis/illness.
As for the Man in India - well, he got just what he deserved.
I had a similar call a few days ago.
I still have an extremely loud alarm fitted to the front door (so that I would know if Brian had opened it and were about to wander out of the house). The very next Man from India who rings will quite likely get to hear this alarm at close quarters ...
Sending love,
Nan XXX

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Nan

I like the idea of the loud buzzer! You are obviously more polite than me:D

I have in the past just asked them to hold 'for a moment' and left the phone till I thought they had hung up..

British Gas keep phoning Tom (the only thing in his name is the boiler protection) Of course they will not talk to me, so I say he is in the bath, 'is it urgent? should I fetch him to the phone?' this call center is in Scotland and they are quite polite so say they will call back later.. (the good thing here is that for nearly 25years Tom has left everything like that to me so there is no danger of him agreeing to something we don't want.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Well, you seem to have it pretty well sussed, Helen.
And quite probably that Poor Man in India has crossed you off his telephone listings.
Our door alarm lets fly with a billion decibels - or close.
I don't know why I haven't thought of it before ....
Love, Nan XXX

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
A friend of mine who worked in a call centre said the wickedest and most effective trick is to talk quieter and quieter so that they turn up the volume on their headset - then give them the benefit of your opinion AS LOUD AS YOU CAN.

I had one occasion where I lost my temper with, in this case, a Poor Lady in India. I was very twitchy at the time about phone calls as they tended to herald crises at my parents' house. So perhaps I was not at my best. Anyway - this lady wanted to tell me all about the virus on my computer - and I harangued her for a good while, asking her what on earth she could possibly know about my computer, and where had she got this report that was telling her it had a virus? She was quite lively in her responses - so we got a bit heated. In the end we exchanged imperative verbs of an anglo-saxon nature.
Afterwards I felt very remorseful - she probably just gets a list of numbers to call and may actually believe she is offering a useful service.
Still - it gave me a nice chance to let off steam....

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I know it doesn't work with callers from outside the UK but are you all on the Telephone Preference Scheme (barring cold calls)?

I cut in on any such callers' scripts saying "You do realise it's illegal for you to contact me - who are you and which company are you from?" They normally cut the call immediately ...

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Yes thanks we are registered with the call baring system, the problem with the Indian call center is the number here was my Mum and Dads so it goes back a long while.

Thanks Helen