"The only illness people make fun of"

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
"The only illness people make fun of"..... a quote from Radio 2's Jeremy Vine programme this lunchtime and as the lady said it, I thought... you know she's correct.

It was the part of the programme talking about testing for dementia. Her husband had Alzheimer's from 48 years of age and it took 7 years to get a diagnosis - common. Her mother in law also has dementia.

A very moving interview and piece and it will be available from the BBC2 web site for a while yet. The programme starts each day at 12.00 and today, this item started about 1.20.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
I heard it too Bruce, Alice had me in tears but still managed to express herself coherently and get her points across.

:mad: But 5 minutes later JV really made me grind my teeth with fury, by saying that Dementia "was something which affects only older people", despite that powerful & moving interview.
He had listened, but not heard. Or had he, like many people, just 'switched off' when he realised it was a difficult & emotive subject?

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
At college, many years ago, I was surprised when a tutor told us that there are no illnesses which are specific to old/older people. It's true that certain illnesses are more common among older people (although there are also diseases that only affect younger people), but, even if it is very rare, children can have strokes and heart attacks and, as we know very well, "young" people can have dementia.

Bets

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej