The One Show BBC1

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Hi all,

On The One Show tonight they looked at the Care Quality Commission and Care homes.

They talked to a lady who runs a charity and she is a whistleblower. She visits care homes pretending to be 'someone looking for a care home for a relative' and writes up what she finds.

They interviewed Johann Hari who discussed the issues he'd written about.

In an interview with the Care Quality Commission - when asked why they don't investigate individual complaints the lady said -that's not in our remit. So who's responsibility is it?

Johann Hari summed it up - if this was dog kennels abusing dogs it would be front page news!

I don't think the programme is available to watch on the iplayer yet. But it's worth the watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0108z5n#synopsis

EmJ

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
I'll watch out for this on iplayer. CQC are going to be doing even less in future. In our area it is proposed that we set up a group of ex carers to keep a check on care homes. Quite how it is going to work and who is going to deal with complaints I don't know. My experience of Social Services does not lead me to believe they will be very interested in any poor reports. The next steering group meeting is in May so we shall see if any progress has been made.
Jan