1. Morag Wild

    Morag Wild Registered User

    Mar 3, 2008
    Hi everyone,

    I have just got back from Scotland where I visited mum in a place called Lochgilphead at the Argyll & Bute Hospital (a psychiatric hospital) she has been taken there for what they call an assessment as the social workers that visited her at her sheltered home were begining to find it difficult as she has developed toilet problems and becomes a bit violent. It looks like it will be a long stay. I live in England so sorting anything out is a nightmare.

    The place is so depressing, just like one flew over the cuckoos nest. I cry every time i think of her in there. The staff are good though, it's just the place and the fact that everyone in there is the same or worse than mum, which means she is surrounded by confused and sometimes violent people. I met up with a lovely social worker who has said that mum will most probably not be allowed to go home back to her sheltered house as she is no longer able to look after herself and has started to get a bit violent. This is so depressing for me and my sister and brother. I now have the task of looking for what will probably have to be a 'nursing home'. We would like to move her from Rothesay, Isle of Bute to Glasgow where my sister and brother live. Trouble is, none of us know of a home and as there are so many we want to make sure we get a good one.

    Does anyone know of a good nursing home in Glasgow, or does anyone know where I can find out about them??

    Unfortunately i'm the one who is furthest away but i do all the sorting out and it will be difficult for me to visit homes although i'm sure I can direct my sister to some.

    Anyone got any ideas??
  2. Laylabud

    Laylabud Registered User

    Sep 7, 2007

    I do not live in Scotland but if you click on the link below you find the commission for social care inspection report which will help guide you in the right direction, hope this helps

  3. mumof3

    mumof3 Registered User

    Feb 6, 2006
    Hi Morag

    In Scotland you can access inspection reports for all care homes via the care commission site http://www.carecommission.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=112We have just been through the process for my MIL who has now been in her NH for 7 weeks. It is a daunting task. Because my MIL entered the home as a result of a crisis, the SW was able to give us details of all NHs with vacancies and we worked from there. We did visit all 7 of the nursing homes within a reasonable distance of us with vacancies to compare them. We did find it difficult from the care commission website to identify homes with EMI or dementia units and also my MIL is a smoker so this also was a consideration.

    Perhaps the SW you met with can give practical assistance especially given that you live so far away?

    Best wishes
  4. Morag Wild

    Morag Wild Registered User

    Mar 3, 2008
    Thank you - good advice

    Thank you to Laylabug and mumof3 both of you have recomended the same website. I have logged on and it does provide usefull information. The inspection reports are good and something to build on. I have asked my sister and brother to ask around and then I will check them out on the website.

    I have also sent an email to the social worker at the hospital, she seems to be quite willing to keep in touch.
  5. Mameeskye

    Mameeskye Registered User

    Aug 9, 2007
    Hi Morag,

    I know when Mum was hospitalised that the social worker in the hospital advised us of which homes in the area would be suitable for Mum.

    It may be that becuase you are out of area this cannot happen or you may find that Glasgow Social Care Services might be able to give you a few pointers as to which homes may accept your Mum. Normally an assessment is done by the home prior to the resident being placed there.

    When we were in this position I also trawled the NH websites and my SIL rang the homes and spoke to the managers. This let us know availability and fees and also gave us an insight. We did find as we looked that the homes matched the managers' personalities on the phone...and Mum ended up in the NH were the manager was very helpful and put the needs of the residents as being paramount in all her conversations with us. Luckily the Care Commission Reports also gave this impression.

    Good Luck. It is very difficult to care from afar, but if you let your fingers do the walking maybe your sister can do follow ups. I did a final inspection of homes with my family to be sure I was happy as well, eventhough it meant yet another journey down at the time. It did give me peace of mind.

  6. river_

    river_ Registered User

    Oct 15, 2007
    I think the care commision list is a good place to start, also the Alzehmers helpline (forget which one) can help with finding a place.

    My advice would be to use a charity or not for profit organiseation as they are not profit focused like (most)privately run facilities.

    When you visit, which you should be able to do at any time, you should feel that nothing is being covered up, the staff should have nothing to hide from visitors if things are done properly.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.