The need to feel useful

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Grey Lad, what about adding pictures and leaving the labels with the words there? If she's accustomed to seeing the labels, new ones with pictures will simply be that. Nothing has disappeared, just extra added.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello. Just read your post and it struck a real chord with me. My hubby just like yours always willing and enjoyed helping anyone, and. Now the simplest task is so so difficult for him, just finding another room in the house we have lived in for 40 years is often beyond him. Heartbreaking watch. Not offering you much help only that I know how it feels. Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Yes Jackie, It came as a surprise lately when my husband headed off in the wrong direction indoors. I couldn't work out why he wouldn't go up to bed unless I went with him, then realised he couldn't remember which was our bedroom. Leaving a light on in our ensuite at night has been very useful. My friend's husband did a wee in the chest of drawers!
Last thing at night mine likes to switch off the bedroom lights and open the window; that makes him feel useful.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH doesn't know where bedroom, shower room are and we live in a bungalow which is basically a corridor with rooms off! One day I was sitting at the table and he got up, opened door into conservatory and had a pee! He has, in times past used the bin in the bedroom a couple of times, fortunately plastic.

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband has early alzheimers he is 77 and does the hoovering on Fridays and helps me by packing the shopping up in Tesco's. I do everything else for him but he loves doing these jobs for me.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred often used his plastic waste bin before incontinence set in. As you say, they can be given a good scrub out

Sent from my GT-N5110