The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by northumbrian_k, Sep 8, 2019.

1. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    Despite the depths of her dementia I still look for things that might still strike a chord of recognition with my wife. One that does is the moon. I would often call my wife through to our kitchen to see how the silver light from a full moon lit up the darkened room. When we took the dog out late at night we could have an almost sensible conversation about the beauty of the moon, in all different phases, hanging above the moor near to our house. There was still some connection. I was reminded of this tonight walking home by moonlight with my faithful hound. I hope that now she is in care she still loves to see the moon as much as she always did.

Many years ago she introduced me to the lovely Jimmy Webb song as sung by Judy Collins. But my favourite of all the versions that I have heard is by a particularly sensitive and vulnerable sounding Joe Cocker. It sums up my wife, especially since dementia took over her personality. "The moon is a harsh mistress, it's hard to love her well ..."

2. Roseleigh

Roseleigh Registered User

Dec 26, 2016
    What a lovely memory Northumbria.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Bill and I loved the moon too @northumbrian_k. I still look at the moon and say out loud the words we always used to say together 'La Luna, la Bella Luna' - from our favourite film - Moonstruck.

I enjoyed listening to that music. It was new to me.

4. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Very poignant words, I can understand how it speaks to you. Xxx

5. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016

6. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    :)Made me smile, I love the gravelly voice too.

7. PalSal

PalSal Registered User

I wish we had music in common but it was never so. Enjoyed your share. I hope your wife gets to gaze on the moon from time to time....

8. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    #8 northumbrian_k, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    It was an even more beautiful moon last night, rising behind the clouds then suddenly revealed. I remarked on it to Knight but, being a hound, he had other things on his mind. Rather like my wife nowadays ...

Moon over the moor September 2019.jpg

9. Weihua

Weihua Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    I could feel your love to her, so many sentimental journey with my husband is no longer share , so sad when I can not get responses

10. Linton

Linton Registered User

Jul 27, 2019
    Hi northumbrian_k.. You just made my day feel bearable... Love the song and to others.. Moonstruck my all time favourite film.. Love the moon which I see a lot these days when we get up... So good to share things... We all need so much support... Xxx