The Mobility (Car) Scheme

LocalResident

Jul 21, 2013
I'm the carer (and driver) for my 96 year old frail Mum.
She CAN walk with difficulty, and she has a Blue Badge.

When I've checked the Mobility Scheme she is ineligible. I would be the registered driver of a new vehicle.

It seems this scheme only focuses on physical disability, and carers/drivers who aren't entitled / eligible themselves are unable to benefit from it - even though their passenger (with dementia) would.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"It seems this scheme only focuses on physical disability, and carers/drivers who aren't entitled / eligible themselves are unable to benefit from it - even though their passenger (with dementia) would."

If, and only if, the person with dementia had any of four specific awards with 12 months remaining at the date of application they would qualify for the motability scheme, they would also be able to nominate up to two drivers with no charge, extra drivers could be added for a fee.

The qualifying awards are:-

Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I feel mobility vehicles are for those who can actually drive, where an adapted vehicle will keep them mobile. Your mum, presumably, cannot drive. The blue badge enables someone who can drive to take her and park close to your destination.

When OH was at the stage he needed walking aids, I had to change my car to get one big enough to fit it in. That's my hard luck, but I was willing to do it to take him out and about.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mobility cars are for anyone, drivers or non drivers, who, at the moment, are entitled to DLA You could only get dla before the age of 65. If you qualify before 65 then you continue to receive DLA. If you apply after age 65 you do not qualify. Tho of course it's all changing now and I'm not aware of the new rules.

You use the mobility portion of your allowance and put that towards a car if you choose to. If you choose not to get a car, you get the full allowance to use as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23