The march is on

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
The Society is arranging protests against the NICE decision on Alzheimers drugs on Tuesday 27th near the House of Commons and the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff. Join the day of protest with Mary and me, email your name, address, telephone number and email address to campaign@alzheimers.org.uk.

See you there

Dick

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Wish I could 'join' in the physical sense... but.. you know.... in spirit and all that....

Got my complaint re audiology almost complete (down to 5 A4 type-written pages to date... you all know I can go on....:eek: )

Just a snippet:

"If Audiology Services have seemingly so much resource at their disposal compared to other NHS services, perhaps the money spent on what has proven to be unnecessary and unwanted home visiting could be better channelled towards training in dementia awareness?"

A small battle..... but the war goes on......

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
You go on Karen? Never! Well not often.! OK maybe sometimes. Alright, alright, fairly often! But not always!
Helen

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Karen

I wish I had your gift of "going on", throughout my life I have been accused of being terse to the point of rudeness. Keep "going on" Karen, I love and admire it.

Dick

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Dick, you were a Maths teacher weren't you? I am. We did an exercise at the start of the academic year on emotional intelligence, answered a very general questionnaire, and from the results our 'type' was decided. The staff then positioned themselves on an axis. With only one exception I think, all maths staff were in the third quadrant, only one person from another subject - our brains work in a different way. If you were to book a holiday Dick, or buy a car, how would you go about it?
Love Helen

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
What on earth is 'emotional intelligence' ????- presumably something teachers explore when they're on a training day .???? PLEASE, please tell me it's for the benefit of the pupils?????

Much as INSET days are applauded by my son and his peers, I think pupils would much prefer attending school for the day just to see the staff being positioned on an axis......:eek:

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Helen and Dick
Maths? I wish you could help my 15 year old daughter...she managed 19% in her year 10 exam.....One of the questions was on the lines of :-
show how a certain shape can't fit into something or other(sorry to be vague)...instead of showing her workings out ......she drew a picture:confused: :confused: :eek:!!!!
Think we need to enlist a maths tutor before her GCSEs next year!!!
Wendy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Can I also suggest that ...

any other Talking Point members wear a badge so we can identify each other & perhaps put faces to names?

e.g. TenderFace (TP), Amy (TP), Nutty Nan (TP), Dick G (TP), Mel (TP), Lynne (TP)

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Wendy

Whats wrong with pictures in maths? Many people visualize maths problems to great effect.

Helen - I always used to ask Mary what she wanted so I have lost the ability to make such vital decisions my own. Where does that place me on the axis?

See you all (labelled) on 27th.

Hugs

Dick

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
So far one of my daughters is coming with me , how can I make a banner never done one before ?

Lynn on my Banner shall but a code TP (M) so you know its me ,well seeing I have photo lol , but Just in case

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya TF,
Emotional Intelligence? It's so that we can understand the emotion that causes the kids to tell us to F..off, and so we understand our own reaction, and change it. And when we are all emotionally intelligent, respecting and listening to the views of the students, they will be so motivated, that they will start to come to school with a pen, they won't be disruptive, they will become responsible learners.
Don't hold your breath!!
Love Helen

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There in spirit...

Wish I could make the march but it's impossible, will be there in spirit with all you attendees... and I have sent my 'misers' cheque to my MP!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Amy

Oh so my manger then was right , when I was working Twilight hours at M&S they where playing music which has F**K lalala F**K est ,,,,,,,, you get my drift .

he told us it’s a way some people express there anger which of course anger is an emotion , so then I understood my son when he played that kind of music , then I tried to work out where all that anger was coming from as I have learn that when someone gets angry its not from that moment ,but from something in the past that trigger in the moment of the now , I had a hard time teaching my son that . so now when he can’t control his anger & says sorry he always adds its all your felt any way :eek: lol :)

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
"Whats wrong with pictures in maths? Many people visualize maths problems to great effect."

Hi Dick
My daughter really does try hard with her maths and I can't fault her for effort....but her maths teacher was not impressed.....:(

I'm so sorry I won't be making the trip next week but,like May, I shall be sending off my cheque.....I'm working on my brother.... he lives just outside London...!
Love
Wendy

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
march

hi all sorry cannot be there in person i have a quite demanding case conference that day elder abuse through finances but il be there in spirit. Is anyone taking pictures for TP? Shauny.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Amy said:
It's so that we can understand the emotion that causes the kids to tell us to F..off, and so we understand our own reaction, and change it. And when we are all emotionally intelligent, respecting and listening to the views of the students,

This goes COMPLETELY against the signature I use here , I know ... but should teachers be changing their reaction - should it not be the kids and their parents/ carers????? There is respecting and listening to ... and not tolerating ..... (I'm terribly old-fashioned at times, I know.......)

.... which to bring me back to TP talk (PM you on schooling and CP/child rights whenever you wish!!!!!) do you think you could get some 'emotional intelligence' training to Westminster come June 27th?...

If I turned up with a placard to tell NICE to F... off, do you think one or two kindly MPs might use their emotional intelligence, understand their own reaction and change it?????

Nothing personal (you know!) just an idea!

Love, Karen, TF, x