The long lonely walk of the carer

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I have looked back on my posts to remind myself that life now is actually a great deal better than it was this time last year. I found this and thought new members might like it. I got all poetic late one night. Thank you friends for walking with me. Crying again now, but the good kind.

In the dark moments I imagine being a carer like a long walk in the darkness. I can see figures beside me, in front of me and behind me. I dont know these people but just knowing that I am not alone gives me the strength to continue.

This journey will end some day but I wont be the same person I was when we started. I will be older, worn and wise in a way I never wanted to be. But I know that holding the hand of the person I love and walking was all I could do. For me, not walking with them was NEVER an option. So I keep walking fueled by love and the memories of the past. Im glad I can only see a little way ahead. I only focus on the next few steps. Eventually we will get to the light and we will say goodbye.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I love this xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx It just sums it all up.
Thank you everyone on TP for being here xxx
love to you Quilty xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
"Not walking with them was NEVER an option". Sums up my dad's decotion to my mam beautifully. Tears in my eyes after reading your post, Quilty. Love to you x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a meaningful post Quilty, so beautifully expressed. Take comfort from those of us walking with you.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
I have looked back on my posts to remind myself that life now is actually a great deal better than it was this time last year. I found this and thought new members might like it. I got all poetic late one night. Thank you friends for walking with me. Crying again now, but the good kind.

In the dark moments I imagine being a carer like a long walk in the darkness. I can see figures beside me, in front of me and behind me. I dont know these people but just knowing that I am not alone gives me the strength to continue.

This journey will end some day but I wont be the same person I was when we started. I will be older, worn and wise in a way I never wanted to be. But I know that holding the hand of the person I love and walking was all I could do. For me, not walking with them was NEVER an option. So I keep walking fueled by love and the memories of the past. Im glad I can only see a little way ahead. I only focus on the next few steps. Eventually we will get to the light and we will say goodbye.

I was just in process of putting on new thread and read this, such lovely words, we are very new to this but since Christmas things seem to have deteriorated with Mum and at the moment I feel overwhelmed with it all, seeing someone you love struggle day to day, not knowing what each day is going to bring is very hard and I don't seem to be able to focus on anything else, I know our troubles are not as bad as many others but it's the fear of the Unknown and being so helpless and not in control that seems to trouble me more xx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I was just in process of putting on new thread and read this, such lovely words, we are very new to this but since Christmas things seem to have deteriorated with Mum and at the moment I feel overwhelmed with it all, seeing someone you love struggle day to day, not knowing what each day is going to bring is very hard and I don't seem to be able to focus on anything else, I know our troubles are not as bad as many others but it's the fear of the Unknown and being so helpless and not in control that seems to trouble me more xx

My best advice is to try not to imagine the future. Just look a day or so ahead if you can. We cant predict the future but we can sure worry about it. Its better to save the energy. Love to you and strength

DancerKaz

Jan 10, 2016
Oxfordshire
Very moving and beautifully written Quilty. I have recently found TP and what an amazing bunch of people you are on here. It has given me so much strength just knowing I am not alone.

Thank you to each of you xx

Deputypink

Aug 4, 2013
A tear has just dropped onto the iPad screen - I am going to print it out and share with the family . Thank you so much - inspirational x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Quilty your post is beautiful.

I echo the thanks to all on TP it's like climbing the same mountain and when someone helps you by understanding or giving the right advice you know its because they have trodden that same bit of the path before you. I too have learnt to take one day at a time and as you say often less than that just one step at a time.

Love to youxx:)

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Thanks so much. I'm walking with my dad. This somehow has just made me feel stronger than I've been feeling lately x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77