1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

The long lonely walk of the carer

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Quilty, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    I have looked back on my posts to remind myself that life now is actually a great deal better than it was this time last year. I found this and thought new members might like it. I got all poetic late one night. Thank you friends for walking with me. Crying again now, but the good kind.

In the dark moments I imagine being a carer like a long walk in the darkness. I can see figures beside me, in front of me and behind me. I dont know these people but just knowing that I am not alone gives me the strength to continue.

This journey will end some day but I wont be the same person I was when we started. I will be older, worn and wise in a way I never wanted to be. But I know that holding the hand of the person I love and walking was all I could do. For me, not walking with them was NEVER an option. So I keep walking fueled by love and the memories of the past. Im glad I can only see a little way ahead. I only focus on the next few steps. Eventually we will get to the light and we will say goodbye.

2. PollyP.

PollyP. Registered User

Oct 8, 2009
    Herefordshire UK
    Thank you Quilty,

That is lovely and really sums up how we carers live and survive. Thank goodness for Talking Point.

Pauline
    xx

3. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    I love this xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx It just sums it all up.
    Thank you everyone on TP for being here xxx
    love to you Quilty xx

4. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    This is very moving, Quilty, and the last line especially so.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.

5. copsham

copsham Registered User

Oct 11, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Quilty - tears in my eyes, so beautifully described.

6. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Quilty what a fantastic post and so true read it with tears in my eyes xxxx

7. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    "Not walking with them was NEVER an option". Sums up my dad's decotion to my mam beautifully. Tears in my eyes after reading your post, Quilty. Love to you x

8. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Beautifully written Quilty.

9. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    What a meaningful post Quilty, so beautifully expressed. Take comfort from those of us walking with you.

10. 6FNAUTICLUB

6FNAUTICLUB Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    I was just in process of putting on new thread and read this, such lovely words, we are very new to this but since Christmas things seem to have deteriorated with Mum and at the moment I feel overwhelmed with it all, seeing someone you love struggle day to day, not knowing what each day is going to bring is very hard and I don't seem to be able to focus on anything else, I know our troubles are not as bad as many others but it's the fear of the Unknown and being so helpless and not in control that seems to trouble me more xx

11. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    My best advice is to try not to imagine the future. Just look a day or so ahead if you can. We cant predict the future but we can sure worry about it. Its better to save the energy. Love to you and strength

12. DancerKaz

DancerKaz Registered User

Jan 10, 2016
    Oxfordshire
    Very moving and beautifully written Quilty. I have recently found TP and what an amazing bunch of people you are on here. It has given me so much strength just knowing I am not alone.

Thank you to each of you xx

13. Deputypink

Deputypink Registered User

Aug 4, 2013
    A tear has just dropped onto the iPad screen - I am going to print it out and share with the family . Thank you so much - inspirational x

14. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Truly moving Quilty yet so beautiful xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

15. lizzybean

lizzybean Registered User

Feb 3, 2014
    Lancashire
    Very meaningful & poignant.

16. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Quilty your post is beautiful.

I echo the thanks to all on TP it's like climbing the same mountain and when someone helps you by understanding or giving the right advice you know its because they have trodden that same bit of the path before you. I too have learnt to take one day at a time and as you say often less than that just one step at a time.

Love to youxx:)

17. Adcat

Adcat Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    Thanks so much. I'm walking with my dad. This somehow has just made me feel stronger than I've been feeling lately x

18. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    We are with you adcat. Take strength from that. Love Quilty