The loneliness of the long term (unpaid) carer.

deejay60

Dec 30, 2015
The loneliness of the long-term (unpaid) carer.

Caring for someone with a terminal illness, by its very nature can be a lonely role for any carer to undertake. As the individual deteriorates, and the care required increases, so does the loneliness. The ‘together’ opportunities and activities that were possible in the early stages of the illness, like the cared for, slowly but inexorably slip away, until all that is left is ‘caring’. Often 24 hours a day. Possibly with some external support, often not. There is no longer any sense of ‘the two of us’.

Georgina was diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimer’s in 2012 at the age of 63, though the signs were there a couple of years previously. Since then her condition has gone through the usual phases of deterioration to what is now advanced late stage Alzheimer’s. In simple terms, this means she requires everything doing for her. She has no cognitive functionality to undertake or understand the everyday tasks you and I take for granted. She cannot walk or talk and requires support to stand to be moved anywhere. She is doubly incontinent, requires feeding and hydrating. She has to be showered and dressed with the assistance of paid carers. She now requires all aspects of her care provided for her 24 hours of every day.

For me the loneliness comes under four headings;

Mental loneliness.

Physical loneliness.

Emotional loneliness.

Financial loneliness.

Mental loneliness can best be described as the need to be constantly making decisions concerning Georgina’s well-being, without the reassurance that what I am doing is the best for her long term care. That is in addition to all the other every day decisions that we all need to consider. There is also the loss of social interaction, of being involved outside of the relationship. The self isolation required for some during the pandemic lockdowns has shown many people what long term carers have to live with day in and out. For many unpaid carers it is not isolation, it is abandonment.

Physical loneliness includes the increasing need over time, to take responsibility for everything physical, that previously was shared. Everything includes the more mundane activities such as the weekly food shop, to changing the bedding (at least we no longer argue over the best way to put the duvet cover on). Longer term, as the ability to ‘help’ diminishes, personal care becomes more of a responsibility, and without additional support can become a very lonely task.

Emotional loneliness over the longer term is probably the hardest to come to terms with. It is the one that creeps up on you without thinking about it. Remembering when you used to hold hands, because you could. The spontaneous hug – because you can. The reassuring smile, when you needed it. The words of encouragement when in doubt. That ‘just being there’. All gone, or at best, one sided. The lump in the throat is always there. The tears are never far away, but always in private.

Financial loneliness is the one that is constantly at the back of the mind. As the condition worsens, and the financial cost of support increases, the income to provide it doesn’t (most unpaid carers are pensioners on a fixed income). Taking financial decisions for two, on your own keeps many carers awake at night. Every potential financial decision also impacts on the mental, physical and emotional loneliness of the long term carer.

So, long term loneliness, is it worth it. There is one phrase that justifies it for me – peace of mind. Regardless of the pressures of long term care, and I have only touched on some aspects of them, I have the peace of mind that she is getting the best care from me, not in a care home, but in our home, a home that cares.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @deejay60.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as my wife was diagnosed as early onset some 5 years ago. I understand fully what you have written as I am increasingly experiencing that lonely feeling as my wife gets buried under her symptoms.

One thing that strikes me is your mention of paid care and financial issues. I hope that you are aware of, and getting, any financial assistance that is available.

Do keep posting. I post almost every day because I like to help people and joining in with a thread is often the nearest I come to conversing with others.

deejay60

Dec 30, 2015
Hello karaokePete.

Thank you for your comments. Yes I have made sure I/we have all the financial support we are entitled to, however as all unpaid carers will know, it is the other financial bits and pieces that are not covered and soon mount up e.g. additional gas, water, elec usage, waterproof bedding, wheelchairs that are not covered by NHS, additional continence protection, converting the en-suite shower room, installing a stair lift, I could go on but I know carers will understand where I am coming from.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello karaokePete.

Thank you for your comments. Yes I have made sure I/we have all the financial support we are entitled to, however as all unpaid carers will know, it is the other financial bits and pieces that are not covered and soon mount up e.g. additional gas, water, elec usage, waterproof bedding, wheelchairs that are not covered by NHS, additional continence protection, converting the en-suite shower room, installing a stair lift, I could go on but I know carers will understand where I am coming from.
I understand completely.

My wife had started to fall a lot, and struggle a bit with general mobility, so we moved out of our first floor apartment and into a bungalow to better accommodate her present and future needs. A lot of upheaval and expense that wasn't in our plans a few years ago.

I try to be pragmatic about this sort of thing as we used to spend a lot on holidays and can no longer go abroad so the cash has just been robbed from Peter to pay Paul, as the saying goes. I miss the holidays though!

Jackie13

Jun 23, 2021
Derbyshire
Hello @deejay60.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as my wife was diagnosed as early onset some 5 years ago. I understand fully what you have written as I am increasingly experiencing that lonely feeling as my wife gets buried under her symptoms.

One thing that strikes me is your mention of paid care and financial issues. I hope that you are aware of, and getting, any financial assistance that is available.

Do keep posting. I post almost every day because I like to help people and joining in with a thread is often the nearest I come to conversing with others.
Hello, my mum has been diagnosed with dementia in February this year, after spending a week in hospital due to having a mild heart attack. She has had lots of scans over the last 2 years, and we were told there was nothing wrong with her, so we were blown away when they told us in February she had vascular dementia and some scan over a year ago confirmed it, but they never told us.My Dad looks after her as he says until he can't do everything for her he doesn't want help, he is 81, my sister and I are devastated, as none of us know what to do or what to say to her, we don't know if she is in early stages or more due to her forgetting things in roughly 5 minutes and constantly asking the same questions. She also forgets our partners. She gets angry with Dad when he gives her tablets that the hospital says she should take for her heart, and also blames him for things she forgets where she has put stuff.
So I was wondering how long would it take to get a carer to give my Dad a bit of time for himself, even though he doesn't want one, it would just be a good thing to know if it was an easy thing to get. I really don't know how to use this forum as this is the 3rd time I have written something, we are devastated, it is the most heart breaking time, and I dare not look too far into the future.

deejay60

Dec 30, 2015
Hello, my mum has been diagnosed with dementia in February this year, after spending a week in hospital due to having a mild heart attack. She has had lots of scans over the last 2 years, and we were told there was nothing wrong with her, so we were blown away when they told us in February she had vascular dementia and some scan over a year ago confirmed it, but they never told us.My Dad looks after her as he says until he can't do everything for her he doesn't want help, he is 81, my sister and I are devastated, as none of us know what to do or what to say to her, we don't know if she is in early stages or more due to her forgetting things in roughly 5 minutes and constantly asking the same questions. She also forgets our partners. She gets angry with Dad when he gives her tablets that the hospital says she should take for her heart, and also blames him for things she forgets where she has put stuff.
So I was wondering how long would it take to get a carer to give my Dad a bit of time for himself, even though he doesn't want one, it would just be a good thing to know if it was an easy thing to get. I really don't know how to use this forum as this is the 3rd time I have written something, we are devastated, it is the most heart breaking time, and I dare not look too far into the future.
Google 'Carer Support' for your area. Also try your GP, Adult Care Services and Alzheimer's Support for your area.
Whilst your concern for your dad is well intentioned, bear in mind that he says he doesn't want a carer for his wife, to give him a bit of time. What would he do with that time? Maybe he just wants to be with his wife, despite all the issues he has to contend with. He says he wants to look after her until he can't, let him. That is all I wanted to do with my wife. She passed away on Tuesday 31st August 2021, at home, with me. That was my commitment to her. I suspect that is what your dad wants also. Having carers coming in several times a day actually gave me more time to spend with my wife towards the end.

Jackie13

Jun 23, 2021
Derbyshire
Google 'Carer Support' for your area. Also try your GP, Adult Care Services and Alzheimer's Support for your area.
Whilst your concern for your dad is well intentioned, bear in mind that he says he doesn't want a carer for his wife, to give him a bit of time. What would he do with that time? Maybe he just wants to be with his wife, despite all the issues he has to contend with. He says he wants to look after her until he can't, let him. That is all I wanted to do with my wife. She passed away on Tuesday 31st August 2021, at home, with me. That was my commitment to her. I suspect that is what your dad wants also. Having carers coming in several times a day actually gave me more time to spend with my wife towards the end.
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that.
We will let Dad choose what he wants to do, as we visit lots to help with shopping and cleaning, the good thing about my dad is, he is very active, and I am going over today to spend time with them both. Thank you so much for your response, it really does help.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
So sorry to read about your loss - my condolences.

Having lost my beautiful wife (aged just 69) in January last year, I understand what you and your family have gone through.

Her "journey" lasted around 7 years, during which my only consolation was the fact that after the first couple of years (when she was more aware that something was happening to her), she seemed to retreat into her own happy little world (always laughing and smiling).

It was nevertheless 7 years of every kind of emotion that I didn't want and by the end, I had done all my grieving, having watched my role change from loving husband to carer. During the last couple of years and particularly the last few months (which she spent in a nursing home), I became determined that although this dreadful disease would take her, it wouldn't get me!

We all deal with grief and loss in our own ways and maybe it was an element of self preservation, I don't know, but since it happened, I have refused to let myself fall into the "black hole of despair". Our son's were great, dragging me out and about (never had so many cooked breakfasts) and I sold our house after 37 years and moved to a bungalow this February. I try to look forward and only reflect on the happy memories, which for me, is working.

Good luck and best wishes.
Phil