"The Little Girl in the Radiator"

JTB

Sep 16, 2010
South West
Having a mother with Alzheimer's I found this book very useful. It is the account of Martin Slevin the author who looked after his mother with this disease. His findings and experiences should make interesting reading for other carers. Like Martin, I found that to try and correct mum's thoughts by using logic did not work. Trying to fit in with my mothers way of thinking, her situation as she sees it, worked a lot better, most of the time.
"The Little Girl in the Radiator" is published by Monday Books and is available now. I bought mine from Amazon. I hope you find it interesting as well.

KAnne

Account Closed
Apr 27, 2012
Having a mother with Alzheimer's I found this book very useful. It is the account of Martin Slevin the author who looked after his mother with this disease. His findings and experiences should make interesting reading for other carers. Like Martin, I found that to try and correct mum's thoughts by using logic did not work. Trying to fit in with my mothers way of thinking, her situation as she sees it, worked a lot better, most of the time.
"The Little Girl in the Radiator" is published by Monday Books and is available now. I bought mine from Amazon. I hope you find it interesting as well.

I'll have a look at that JTB, as I've just recently discovered Amazon;)

My mum has Frontal Lobe Dementia but I do think there are lots of similarities in all dementias

amicalia

Jul 9, 2011
Sussex
It's a very good read, I like his insights and his humour and love for his mum, who also comes across as a lovely character.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
What a Good Bitter Sweet Book

I have spent a couple of days on our boat and picked up this little book and have been unable to put it down. I even sat reading outloud passages to others who were intrigued and amused by it. What a thoroughly good read and I have not yet finished it but there was one part that really troubled me. When the writer's Mum goes into the first care home, the writer mentions an old chap who used to go looking for his pal to play dominoes and another lady who was sobbing all of the time. I cannot get these poor people out of my mind. I am just hoping the particular nursing home mentioned was shut down because it protrayed total neglect and care and was really upsetting to read. May be I am just an old softy.

Did anyone else reading this true and entertaining book feel the same?