1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by MaNaAk, Feb 25, 2019.

1. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    I get the chemist to put both of our meds in a dosset boxes. including my own. I have to take two tablets on a definite time so there is time to clear the meds from my system. They one that stops me turning Into a pumpkin. It is easier all round

2. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

We haven't needed to go down the road of dosset boxes yet. The trouble is that because he takes the warfarin, the dosages can change, not just daily but can be different each day. He has to be tested regularly and it is quite a nuisance but he actually seems to enjoy doing it. Still gives him a little sense of independence I think.

3. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Yes, it is good to keep a sense of independence, my husband used to do both lot of pills then I was not sure because my health is complicated and I have a tight regime. So for safety, the GP suggested Dosset packs. I do find some other 'jobs' for him mainly making tea and coffee. Mind he could forget to drink his. :)

4. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Took OH to a demential screening in lovely restored 1939 cinema yesterday. Unfortunately my listening was disturbed by the annoying buzz of a hearing aid not contacting properly. As it was a special demential viewing I hung in there and did not complain.

On the wrong thread. No. OH had decided to fill his pockets with discarded hearing aids he had found in his bedside drawer!

5. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Alice,

You are not a pumpkin;)!

MaNaAk:)

6. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Lawson and Rhubarb and Alice,

Like the three of you I felt I was becoming a chemist, doctor and several other things however regarding hearing aids dad is due to get a new one soon but I can't help but wonder how long it will last before it disappears. The home and I are doing all we can to prevent disappearances but sometimes the PWDs beat us to it. I was told by the manageress that the residents have put items down the toilet. Also beware of items in tissue boxes!;)

MaNaAk

7. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Only because I keep taking the tablets on time :):):)

8. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Occasionally I have got my thyroxine medication mixed up and I have to take 100 mcg one day followed by 75 mcg the next. When I was caring for dad I never got his medicine muddled up but I can do this with mine and I am the first to complain to the doctor's about his medicine. Dad has Alzheimers but I don't know what my excuse is?;)

MaNaAk

9. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Dear MaNaAk,

I have given up with hearing aids for OH. Why or why do the manufacturers keep designing them smaller and smaller. So fiddly to maintain. After cleaning and battery changing they would stay in OH's ears for a couple of hours then disappear. It would be so good if something could be invented for PWDs. Until then my mantra is "I will only say this thrice".

10. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    #70 AliceA, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    I fear by the time we get to us we have run out of nursing skills. My Meds come in a paper dosset pack that even tells me what day of the week it is, every little helps

11. Grahamstown

Grahamstown Registered User

Jan 12, 2018
    East of England
    I really chuckled at this!

12. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Alice,

On my way home just now I met my old school friend whose dad is in hospital. My friend's mother is caring for her dad, she's looking out for her mum and I said
    someone needs to look out for her but like me no one is really. So we carers look after our loved ones first then ourselves. Result: me putting dad in a home and going down with shingles and my friend going down a similar route along with her mum.

This is why we have to see the Lighter Side.

MaNaAk

13. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Me too!

MaNaAk

14. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Humour is our life saver.

15. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Alice,

It certainly is!

MaNaAk

16. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Hello Everyone!

I am having to make a dental appointment for dad because he has a loose tooth. Do you think he will ask for his tooth back like before?

MaNaAk

17. Bikerbeth

Bikerbeth Registered User

Feb 11, 2019
    Bedford
    Good question - I will got for a No he won’t ask for absolutely no logical reason

18. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Why not, perhaps he wants to put it under his pillow for the tooth fairy. That will cost you!

19. Wifenotcarer

Wifenotcarer Registered User

Mar 11, 2018
    Central Scotland
    Went to collect OH from 2 weeks respite yesterday. He seemed pleased (ish) to see me, so I put an arm round his shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek. Loudly, for the benefit of the others in the lounge he said "That was very nice, but I must make you aware that I am a happily married man". I replied that I knew that as I was his happily married wife. He looked me up and down and said, "I'm sorry, but MY wife is a lot younger than you".

20. Susan11

Susan11 Registered User

Nov 18, 2018
    My Dad had this problem with Warfarin but there is another drug available Xarelto which doesn't have the same problem with constant blood tests and changes in dosage. Ask the doctor if this would be suitable.