The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

My latest offering here is this:

Yesterday dad introduced me to my brother a couple of times and after my brother, his wife and my nephews left resident G who is dad's latest admirer asked me which is my room! Given that I had what I call a few stressful hours maybe I should have asked for a room so that I could have some peace!

MaNaAk

Last edited:

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
The nurse who came to inspect the damage after OH had managed to remove his catheter all by himself, asked very politely if it would be Ok with him if she took a look at his "waterworks" His reply? - "Well go ahead if you really want to, but I sent for you because I have a sore throat".

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The nurse who came to inspect the damage after OH had managed to remove his catheter all by himself, asked very politely if it would be Ok with him if she took a look at his "waterworks" His reply? - "Well go ahead if you really want to, but I sent for you because I have a sore throat".

Dear Wifenotcarer,

The way you've just told this is hilarious!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hilarious, MaNaAk! Thanks so much for your comments on the lighter side. My husband with PD dementia does things which make us both laugh. I know this will not always be so but for now I am grateful for the laughter. I've just joined but should be able to post some funny stories soon...

Dear Sylvarda,

Feel free to post here anytime you like!

MaNaAk

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I was waiting for my Mum for ages and I told her I felt like a lemon just standing there. She told me to be an orange instead

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
At the end of my visit to the care home today resident M asked the carer if she could go home to which he explained that this is her home. Meanwhile dad asked if they were together! I told them both that dad thought they were an item!

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
At a recent visit to the dentist, my husband was told that he needed to do a better job of cleaning his teeth so I spent a small fortune and came home with a 'you beaut, all bells and whistles' toothbrush to see if that could help.

In typical fashion, OH jumped in to try it without reading the booklet and the look on his face when the toothbrush beeped at him unexpectedly was something to behold. He was astonished. He looked at it, looked at me and asked why did it do that. I suggested to him that it might help if he had a look at the manual but I should have known better!

'It says I have to ask the doctor if I am able to use it because I have a defibrillator.'
OK but you have been using an electric toothbrush for years.

'It says not to leave the charger anywhere near water. So how can I clean my teeth at the basin?'
Because you only use the toothbrush, not the charger when you clean your teeth.

'But the toothbrush won't work if I take it off the thing (charger)'
Yes it will because it works off the battery. It always has before.

'So will I have to charge it in my bedroom?'
Can if you really want to.

'So will you remind me when I go back to the dentist to ask him if I can use the toothbrush?'
The dentist isn't a doctor so he can't tell you if you can use it.

'But it says I have to check to see if I am allowed to use it.'
Yep but it suggests you ask your doctor.

'So why can't I ask the dentist?'................................

Does all this sound familiar? Then when I started to show my annoyance with all his questions, he said, 'Well, it's your fault. You told me to read it!'

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Lawson,

The bit I was most interested was the defibrillator! I haven't had this problem with dental hygiene but I had a small problem with donepezil when dad was diagnosed. The doctor said to take it at night but I didn't realise he meant bedtime! Anyway dad complained of feeling dizzy and the next evening he insisted that he shouldn't take it. Anyway I went to the chemist and asked the assistant and she said to take it at bedtime to help him sleep. I told dad that was what the chemist said and we didn't look back from there!

You should pretend to your OH that you went to the doctor's to ask about the toothbrush. It takes lot of patience to be a carer but you have to look back on this as a memory. We carers will be left with more personal memories than our relatives can imagine. It's a shame you spent a fortune though!

Happy Easter

MaNaAk

PS: It's some time since dad asked for his teeth back!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Dear Lawson,

The bit I was most interested was the defibrillator! I haven't had this problem with dental hygiene but I had a small problem with donepezil when dad was diagnosed. The doctor said to take it at night but I didn't realise he meant bedtime! Anyway dad complained of feeling dizzy and the next evening he insisted that he shouldn't take it. Anyway I went to the chemist and asked the assistant and she said to take it at bedtime to help him sleep. I told dad that was what the chemist said and we didn't look back from there!

You should pretend to your OH that you went to the doctor's to ask about the toothbrush. It takes lot of patience to be a carer but you have to look back on this as a memory. We carers will be left with more personal memories than our relatives can imagine. It's a shame you spent a fortune though!

Happy Easter

MaNaAk

PS: It's some time since dad asked for his teeth back!
Actually my husband is fine with the toothbrush now. I think it's hilarious that this man can play bridge but finds a toothbrush such a challenge and no, I'm not being cruel - it's just my way of dealing with the silly things Alzheimer's throws at you. I suspect also that he was trying to be annoying because I told him to read the manual. I get a bit concerned about his teeth. He will turn 80 this year and his teeth are falling apart but he couldn't cope with having them out, with all the complications of warfarin and all the other stuff he takes.

Defibrillators are fascinating little gadgets but there are all sorts of do's and dont's about using mobile phones and other technology (electric toothbrushes!) but he hasn't had any problems with it. It's interesting about donepizil because you are not supposed to take it if you have heart problems but the geriatrician prescribed it for my husband. Because the defibrillator controls the heart rate, it didn't matter about the donepizil. However, OH had some tummy problems so they switched him over to rivastigimine.

Occasionally, my husband does these funny things and I have to laugh. We visited my granddaughter yesterday and he couldn't remember that her cat's name is Twiggy. He kept on calling her Twitty even though he knew that was wrong. He tried to find the right name but kept on saying Twitty. In the end, my granddaughter and I got a fit of the giggles and spluttered over our coffee and hot cross buns.

Bunny2Bear

Apr 19, 2019
A few weeks ago I opened the fridge to get some milk and found a pair of size 10 shoes in there......I take size 6. I asked OH if he'd put the shoes in the fridge and his reply....."My feet were hot.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
They come out with some gems and Lawson I'm sorry I didn't realise your OH had heart problems in which case you need to keep an eye on his medication. I remember a carer trying to get dad to take donepezil and statins and dad said "Okay I agree! You take one, I'll take the other! You first." To which I had to intervene knowing that he was trying his best to be difficult because he didn't know why he needed help.

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
They come out with some gems and Lawson I'm sorry I didn't realise your OH had heart problems in which case you need to keep an eye on his medication. I remember a carer trying to get dad to take donepezil and statins and dad said "Okay I agree! You take one, I'll take the other! You first." To which I had to intervene knowing that he was trying his best to be difficult because he didn't know why he needed help.

MaNaAk
My husband is still OK about taking his medications and at the moment he has 12 different prescribed oral medications, then there are the patches, the over the counter things that he takes (Vitamin B12, laxatives, iron) and then there are the creams he needs for his skin condition, some prescribed and some over the counter. Plus his cute little defibrillator which gets checked every six months. His warfarin gets tweaked regularly and apart from the skin condition which is a fairly recent event, nothing else has changed much for quite a while. It gets a bit more complicated when he has to take something every second day.

He likes setting up his medication box which he does every Monday. He takes up the whole of the kitchen bench, gets everything out and lines up all his pills. Then he puts them in piles for breakfast lunch and dinner before they get tucked away in their little compartments. It keeps him occupied for an hour and it makes it easy for me to check that it's all correct. I did offer to do it for him but he gave me such a look of disdain that I haven't offered again. So then after all that meticulous preparation he forgets to take it!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My husband is still OK about taking his medications and at the moment he has 12 different prescribed oral medications, then there are the patches, the over the counter things that he takes (Vitamin B12, laxatives, iron) and then there are the creams he needs for his skin condition, some prescribed and some over the counter. Plus his cute little defibrillator which gets checked every six months. His warfarin gets tweaked regularly and apart from the skin condition which is a fairly recent event, nothing else has changed much for quite a while. It gets a bit more complicated when he has to take something every second day.

He likes setting up his medication box which he does every Monday. He takes up the whole of the kitchen bench, gets everything out and lines up all his pills. Then he puts them in piles for breakfast lunch and dinner before they get tucked away in their little compartments. It keeps him occupied for an hour and it makes it easy for me to check that it's all correct. I did offer to do it for him but he gave me such a look of disdain that I haven't offered again. So then after all that meticulous preparation he forgets to take it!

Dear Lawson,

I'm pleased your OH can still do this it used to take me forever to do dad's medicine. Just one of the many things we carers have to remember. I hope your Easter is okay so far. I have managed to take dad out twice.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just a few observations during yesterday's visit!

Resident B (very severe dementia) was busy at the table with part of the table cloth on the floor. I took dad up to his room to have some Easter egg and on the way he tried a few doors. I stopped him from wandering into his neighbour's room a few times and then on the way back he tried to open several other doors and whilst we were waiting for the lift one door opened and a lady asked can I help you? We had already walked past so I called out an apology. This reminded me of some antics that my brothers and I used to get up to when we were children!

At teatime the carers had to put up with resident J being blunt and rude (where do they get the patience from?). Resident M provided light relief by asking me if she had brought her hand bag! This made the carers laugh! Life is never dull in a care home!

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just a few observations during yesterday's visit!

Resident B (very severe dementia) was busy at the table with part of the table cloth on the floor. I took dad up to his room to have some Easter egg and on the way he tried a few doors. I stopped him from wandering into his neighbour's room a few times and then on the way back he tried to open several other doors and whilst we were waiting for the lift one door opened and a lady asked can I help you? We had already walked past so I called out an apology. This reminded me of some antics that my brothers and I used to get up to when we were children!

At teatime the carers had to put up with resident J being blunt and rude (where do they get the patience from?). Resident M provided light relief by asking me if she had brought her hand bag! This made the carers laugh! Life is never dull in a care home!

MaNaAk
Sounds like our house! Yesterday OH asked me if I could show him on the computer how to enlarge the print on some pages he wanted to print off. I couldn't quite understand what he wanted exactly so probed a little.

OH has a bridge partner J who he quite likes but says that he has Alzheimer's so he wanted to print some pages of instructions/strategies for him. I asked him if J had told him about the Alzheimer's but no, it was just that J forgets things all the time and doesn't follow my husband's bidding while playing bridge. It always seems that it is the other person who has AD, not him.

I tried to point out to him that if J couldn't remember what OH had bid during play, then there wasn't much point in printing out pages of instructions for him to read and remember. OH was absolutely sure that J would be able to cope with this wonderful idea of his and complained that he finds it sooooooo frustrating when J can't remember what just happened.

Hmmmmmmm!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hello Everyone!

My latest offering here is this:

Yesterday dad introduced me to my brother a couple of times and after my brother, his wife and my nephews left resident G who is dad's latest admirer asked me which is my room! Given that I had what I call a few stressful hours maybe I should have asked for a room so that I could have some peace!

MaNaAk
:)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Sounds like our house! Yesterday OH asked me if I could show him on the computer how to enlarge the print on some pages he wanted to print off. I couldn't quite understand what he wanted exactly so probed a little.

OH has a bridge partner J who he quite likes but says that he has Alzheimer's so he wanted to print some pages of instructions/strategies for him. I asked him if J had told him about the Alzheimer's but no, it was just that J forgets things all the time and doesn't follow my husband's bidding while playing bridge. It always seems that it is the other person who has AD, not him.

I tried to point out to him that if J couldn't remember what OH had bid during play, then there wasn't much point in printing out pages of instructions for him to read and remember. OH was absolutely sure that J would be able to cope with this wonderful idea of his and complained that he finds it sooooooo frustrating when J can't remember what just happened.

Hmmmmmmm!

Dear Lawson,

This is unique but it must be so frustrating for you. On one hand your husband thinks he's trying to help but on the other hand you have to listen to this. You have to see the funny side. It is essential that you keep your sense of humour.

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Dear Lawson,

This is unique but it must be so frustrating for you. On one hand your husband thinks he's trying to help but on the other hand you have to listen to this. You have to see the funny side. It is essential that you keep your sense of humour.

MaNaAk
Totally agree. Some of my friends have parents who have AD, so we help each other let off steam by telling our funny stories about our daily lives. We also listen to each other's hard times but having a laugh with people who understand is to be treasured. Rather like Talking Point!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti