The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers But What's My Excuse!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
At least that’s one mystery solved.

Mum likes waving at children too, also smiling at them and laughing at them, but has been known to tut loudly and make loud comments about how they should be parented if the child is misbehaving. I expect you know the sort of thing :oops:

Don’t get me started on dentures! Luckily she doesn’t wear a hearing aid.

Dear Roly,

I'd like to air my views on some parents as well. Anyway I found the swivel chair which is kept in our front room in the lounge today! Dad must have used it as a walking frame!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
When visiting mum the other day in her care home we were sitting in her room when there was a loud bang bang on the door. I shouted come in but no-one did. Went to the door to find a very irate resident telling me she was going to have to walk 14 miles to Hinckley now because the bus hasn't turned up & no-one will come & get her. Then off she went up the corridor!
As a visitor I'm often mistaken as one of the carers. Even my mum thinks I live there!

Sometimes I am regarded as the 'lady' or dad's wife.

MaNaAk

Tralouise

Nov 27, 2017
OH DENTURES, DENTURES!!!!

Well after mum nearly biting the dentists finger off, she had more teeth out and the bill was £1, 100, she put them in for 5 mins then said she looked like a donkey and no way was she wearing them! Went to hospital tonight to visit and I said let's test the dentures and try eating with them, she opened the denture box and said oh the dentures snapped in half they will have to go back. When I asked how it happened she swore blind she had no idea and suggested someone must off come in and done it. She must off done it!!! She seems to enjoy being "naughty" and non compliant

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
OH DENTURES, DENTURES!!!!

Well after mum nearly biting the dentists finger off, she had more teeth out and the bill was £1, 100, she put them in for 5 mins then said she looked like a donkey and no way was she wearing them! Went to hospital tonight to visit and I said let's test the dentures and try eating with them, she opened the denture box and said oh the dentures snapped in half they will have to go back. When I asked how it happened she swore blind she had no idea and suggested someone must off come in and done it. She must off done it!!! She seems to enjoy being "naughty" and non compliant

My dad hasn't bothered with his dentures since he got them! He says they are uncomfortable and they don't fit but they are supposed to be fitted with fixodent but a certain person is too stubborn to let me put this on! He can also get up to mischief and remove his pendant alarm. Today it was tested and he tried to have a chat with the lady who answered!

MaNaAk

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I’ve been having a laugh today too. John and I were walking up Buchanan Street in the centre of Glasgow this morning when apropos of nothing he said “The Red Army have advanced several miles”.

I looked round to see what had triggered this. Nothing. Just a bunch of peaceful shoppers. I told him he was rambling.

“These things are very important you know. Ich habe gesprochen”. (I have spoken).

Aye right, let’s have a coffee. So we did and no more was heard about Russians or Germans. As my daughter says - something is going on in that head if only we knew what!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad keeps his home like an oven, I like mine cooler. I always make a fire when he visits. Yesterday I commented that I thought the fire had gone out.
Quick as a flash dad said "That's cos it's too cold to stay in here!"

Old dad would have delivered that line deadpan but dementia dad has got to the silly giggly stage and as he couldn't stop laughing at his little joke - neither could I...

Tralouise

Nov 27, 2017
My dad keeps his home like an oven, I like mine cooler. I always make a fire when he visits. Yesterday I commented that I thought the fire had gone out.
Quick as a flash dad said "That's cos it's too cold to stay in here!"

Old dad would have delivered that line deadpan but dementia dad has got to the silly giggly stage and as he couldn't stop laughing at his little joke - neither could I...[/QUOTE

Last edited:

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Not so much dentures with Mum as her knickers. She tries bless her and when she came out of the toilet she told me that she had her pants. I told her no problem and would change them only to find she wasn't wearing any. No problem but I still don't know what she did with the wet pants. Cannot find them for love or money!

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Not so much dentures with Mum as her knickers. She tries bless her and when she came out of the toilet she told me that she had her pants. I told her no problem and would change them only to find she wasn't wearing any. No problem but I still don't know what she did with the wet pants. Cannot find them for love or money!

Flushed down the toilet?!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Helllo Everyone!

Some of you would have read my thread about dad and one of our local care homes. Well today I took him there for one hour and we had just settled in the lounge. Dad was sitting in an armchair and we were both waiting for his cup of tea when an elderly lady asks to be taken to the toilet. It becomes apparent that she doesn't know where the toilet is so I tried to summon one of the carers. However immediately I try to do this then dad starts getting up and and offering his seat whereby I start to pray that the cuppa arrives quickly so that I can make good my escape!

I do manage to escape after the tea arrives and dad is sitting down again. During my hour of freedom it turns out that dad was in the lounge for ten minutes before he went to sit by the door. Obviously he is really going to miss me but I do hope that he can settle a little bit when he goes into respite.

MaNaAk

Blondee

May 12, 2018
Oh MaNaAk I just caught up with this post and I have laughed so much. You’ve just got to find the fun in it. I think I posted somewhere else on here that when using my Amazon Echo to time something and then at time up I said Alexa Stop I realised that my mum had her head in her hands. She then locked up and said “you are so rotten to her, she’s doing her best” .
I do hope your dad settles. I have settled on a care home for mum and the manager is coming out tomorrow with a view to her moving in Friday. I have been and will continue to say that I am going off to work overseas (which I have always done but don’t know if she will remember) and she needs to srtay here for a week or so. Seems to be accepting it so far so please keep your fingers crossed

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Blondee,

I'll bear in mind what your mum said about Alexa when I am geting annoyed with my computer and it's never ending updates and clicking sound. Have you read the thread about panic pendants?

If you know the carer's names it will help you to say to your mum that she is going to see so and so today. I have my fingers crossed for your mum as well and I realise that both your mum and my dad haven't lost their airs and graces and they are still able to think about others! Bless them! I hope dad is in a good mood when the carer from the new agency comes round on Friday.

MaNaAk

Blondee

May 12, 2018
That’s such a good idea. I’ll ask the manager for names when he comes out tomorrow. Sorry to hijack your thread! X

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
That’s such a good idea. I’ll ask the manager for names when he comes out tomorrow. Sorry to hijack your thread! X

Good luck to you and your mum Blondee!

Dad will be trying a new care agency tomorrow so let's hope he behaves himself.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I just had about to tell you about last night! Dad had trouble getting to sleep but when I got him back to bed he was lying their and said "I don't think much of the room they have given us"! In other words he insulted his own bedroom. Poor dad Alzheirmers and back trouble were bothering him all day.

MaNaAk

PS: And they were ganging up on me and the carer!

Blondee

May 12, 2018
Ha ha
I love this MaNaAk. It’s these things that keep us going.

And Marionq - if a random woman stops you in Buchanan St one day - it’ll be me.

Hugs x

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

I've had some challenging times this week but there was a lighter moment. When dad was put on the ward he decided that he needed to go to the toilet after breakfast so I went to get the nurses and they had to run because dad was trying to get out of bed himself. Anyway dad tried the dodgy handle on the toilet door and it opened! There inside was an occupant! It was a policeman guarding another patients bed but dad didn't seem to notice him and he tried to barge . Therefore the nurses and I kept saying there's someone in there which only resulted with the policeman having to make a quick exit! Luckily he had a sense of humour and I ended up apologising for dad and saying that I have to live with it!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

My latest addition to this thread is this:

A lot of you may know that I a Piano and Violin teacher and I had the bright idea of playing the violinat dad's care home today. I set everything up and started playing and dad came along and started trying to usher me to a seat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now as a violinist with a local symphony orchestra
I have a tendency to respond to a conductor but this was my dad trying to usher me towards an armchair. I struggled to keep playing. Anyway I played a mixture of classical, folk and pop music
and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

MaNaAk

Blondee

May 12, 2018
Hello MaNaAk
How strange - I just thought about you when I was on TP this morning and wondered how you and your dad were doing.
What a lovely idea to play at you dad’s care home. It does sound as if he’s settled in well. He certainly seems to be trying to settle you in too!
I do hope you’re doing OK. It’s a difficult adjustment but you know it was the right thing to do for you both.
Best wishes
Denise

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet