The latest episodes re Alan's care

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Not much sleep again as I woke in the early hours to find that Alan had taken his eye patch off:D Have no idea whether he'd rubbed his eye but it meant I found it hard to sleep. I did manage a few hours though.

Early morning meant runs to the tip and charity shops with the drive and garage full of stuff from the attic. No cash in our attic:D All this and managing to administer drops every half hour or thereabouts. The Occ. Therapist came whilst I was on one of these runs and I think she was surprised in the change in me. I had no time to talk to her because I also had a very suicidal client wanting my time on the phone:eek: She left just after 12 noon and at 1 p.m. the Social Worker was coming to do an assessment for the sitting service. There was no time to cook lunch, again, so this time it was fish and chips. This is one of the major things I dislike about this new change - I haven't time to cook. I love cooking and I love healthy food and more often than not just lately it has had to be what I call rubbishy quick food from supermarkets. I never thought we'd live like this. I think Alan's excellent health is down to really good food (maybe not but I like to think so):)

The Social worker said almost straight away that she would do an assessment for my needs because I seemed very stressed and exhausted (or something similar). I nearly burst into tears at that point but managed to hold them in. I just told her that until about six weeks ago I was managing really well but since that virus and the changes that have taken place so quickly, I can't manage well at all and am constantly juggling to keep on top of things. She said she felt I needed a sitting service five days a week (and maybe weekends too) for 2 or 3 hours at a time. I was shocked to think I could get so much help and am quite sceptical until/if it happens:rolleyes: She also suggested Alan go into day care but I tried to put her off because Alan at the moment doesn't like going out and can't cope with very many people around. She didn't seem to want to know this but I kept repeating it and then just left it because I can deal with that if/when it arises.

She kept saying throughout the assessment to me, looking at Alan, "bless" "oh bless him" "oh isn't he sweet". I really wish I could have dealt with it but I didn't want to blot my copybook so early in the process:(

She said help might be forthcoming next week!

I kept trying to ring the dentist but it was permanently engaged but I will do it tomorrow even if I have to go there in person!

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dear Helen:

Just read your post in midst of cooking (healthy) food!!!!:rolleyes:

You really are in the middle it - its hard to believe that a SW said you needed 'sitting service for 5 days'. Whow good for you - I hope she rewards you with help for that sort of time!!! I am told I can only have 4 hrs. per week :(

PLEASE take advantage of all you are offered . I am so sorry this comes so quickly for you but.....

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen.

I am out of breath reading your post.

I do not want to be Job`s Advocate nor do I need to tell you, you will not be able to maintain this pace for much longer. You are still recovering from your virus and your life just now sounds frantic.

Sorry if I sound a bossy boots.

Please take care.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen,

Things seem to be changing drastically for you..I'm so sorry.

But I can identify with...
There was no time to cook lunch, again, so this time it was fish and chips. This is one of the major things I dislike about this new change - I haven't time to cook. I love cooking and I love healthy food and more often than not just lately it has had to be what I call rubbishy quick food from supermarkets. I never thought we'd live like this.

It's happening here too...:eek:...Cooking was one of my pleasures...more and more I'm resorting to "ready meals"...

Even though I've given up work I find that juggling the whole "domestic" issue..plus Eric..is VERY HARD WORK...(Bear in mind I have an 81 year old mother too..but that's another story..)

I went through a phase of worrying because I wasn't "cooking". And honestly couldn't be bothered to cook. So I bought healthy options ready meals..did fresh veg or salad..made sure we had fresh fruit available...and I'm actually moving towards it again...:)

Because I realise now I can't keep all the balls in the air at the same time..something has to give..

Reduce the strain on yourself, Helen...You're doing a grand job..

Look at your options and identify where you can cut corners...ultimately you may have to as Alan needs you more..

I'm learning it's all about shifting your perspective...identifying priorities...and trying to hold it all together....:eek:

It's not easy...but at least we have each other...

Love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Jan and Sylvia

Jan I just can't believe I'll get that sort of help when I am absolutely certain that there are so many more carers having to cope with much more than me. Alan has mobility, he can still make a cup of tea (just about), he is no trouble at night apart from with this eye patch and he has no problems with incontinence. Also I was quite calm when the SW arrived and I thought I put on a good show of "I'm alright" and was tearful because she saw through it straight away:eek:

Sylvia
I am out of breath reading your post.
That's just how I feel a lot of the time. And, no, you didn't sound bossy at all. I experience you as caring, respectful, intelligent, helpful and kind. You hit it right on the nail, out of breath! Up until that virus, really our lives (Alan's and mine) were quite calm, loving, eventful, and peaceful. Of course there were stresses but stresses that could be managed quite easily by me. The demands on me seem so great at the moment but realistically nothing has changed apart from the progression of this illness and me not being 100% well and fit.

I hope you will excuse me tonight for talking such a lot. I don't usually say much (other people would argue with this) but I am so grateful for the contact. TP is supportive beyond words and I found myself referring to TP with the Occ. Therapist and the Social Worker all the time today. I gave them some of the leaflets because they hadn't seen them. I can honestly say that Talking Point has equipped me and empowered me to know what I am dealing with and what help is available and how to go about getting it. I think I could write a book on the characters I've come across so far "bless him" indeed!!

Love

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Sylvia That's just how I feel a lot of the time. And, no, you didn't sound bossy at all. I experience you as caring, respectful, intelligent, helpful and kind.

TP is supportive beyond words and I found myself referring to TP with the Occ. Therapist and the Social Worker all the time today. ...
I think I could write a book on the characters I've come across so far "bless him" indeed!!

Love

Ah, you've summed Sylvia up pretty well there Helen. I'm going to tell you a secret. I was doing some work a long way from home earlier in the year ( about 300 miles, I think) and I was in a meeting with some carers. I started talking about TP and one of the carers said " Oh yes, I know about TP. There's one lady who has been extremely helpful". " Aah," I said, was it by chance Grannie G?" and she said yes it was and went on about how brilliant Sylvia had been. :) Small world, eh?;)

About the surprise care package: I'd say accept anything they offer with both arms, and don't for a minute think twice. And I wouldn't bother holding back the waterworks either. You are supposed to be supported. Look at it this way. If you manage to get a decent package sorted out, your success could be highlighted as a beacon for other authorities to strive towards. You could be helping others, you see.
Love Deborah

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Gigi and Deborah

Thanks Gigi. I will get it sorted but it has taken time to accept that things have really changed and are hardly likely to go back. It's ages since we cycled, canoed or did a good walk. The canoeing weekend I had to cancel because we weren't well. I used to swim 3 miles a week but it's ages since I've been able to go. I am getting fat too which I am not happy about. And, no Sylvia, I'm drawing the line at joining a slimming club:D Humiliation, on top of everything else, I can well do without:D

Deborah
If you manage to get a decent package sorted out, your success could be highlighted as a beacon for other authorities to strive towards.
I never thought of it this way. I will, however, remain sceptical about the package. Anyone who says "oh bless him" in front of 'him' is quite hard to take seriously as someone who knows what they're doing!. I wonder why she felt we needed so much time?:confused: I didn't have to fight for anything (in fact I didn't say much at all really) and I know I wouldn't have come across as desperate because that just isn't me. I am puzzled. However, if it is confirmed I will accept it and I specifically asked for Crossroads but I don't know whether I can pick and choose.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I hope you aren't too embarrassed by such high accolades - don't let it keep you away:)

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
She kept saying throughout the assessment to me, looking at Alan, "bless" "oh bless him" "oh isn't he sweet".

Hi Helen

I don't think I'd have too much confidence in a SW who spoke like that!:eek:

However, if you're offered cover for every day, grab it with both hands. Like Jan, I only ever had 4 hours.

Good luck, I hope she comes up with something concrete.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am absolutely certain that there are so many more carers having to cope with much more than me. Alan has mobility, he can still make a cup of tea (just about), he is no trouble at night apart from with this eye patch and he has no problems with incontinence. Also I was quite calm when the SW arrived and I thought I put on a good show of "I'm alright" and was tearful because she saw through it straight away

I put on a good show of "I'm alright" and was tearful because she saw through it straight away

Good :) that SW saw straight through you. Its so good to read that a SW is going to give you a good support packet to help you to keep caring for your husband at home with you.

I am absolutely certain that there are so many more carers having to cope with much more than me

When I said that to my daughter . she tell me to stop worrying about other people, why am I worrying about other people You got the services that you need that all that matters

She would not understand, when I Just said because I " Care "

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hi Helen
you sound so busy please please make some me time for youeself (says she who is meeting herself coming back).
I am so pleased you are going to get some surport you need it, think of yourself not others.
hope you are now fast asleep, I will be very shortly
nite nite

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Helen, for God's sake, 'get real' !!

Helen33 said:
I will, however, remain sceptical about the package. Anyone who says "oh bless him" in front of 'him' is quite hard to take seriously as someone who knows what they're doing!.
This patronising person with the unfortunate sickly manner is only the FACILITATOR for a care package;
the actual help won't be her or anyone so stupid (having a degree is Sociology does not mean someone isn't thick as a brick!)

Helen33 said:
I wonder why she felt we needed so much time? BECAUSE YOU DO!!!
I didn't have to fight for anything (in fact I didn't say much at all really) and I know I wouldn't have come across as desperate because that just isn't me.
The fact that you put a brave face on it doesn't mean that your situation isn't desperate so just take whatever is on offer & work with it; it might not work perfectly on the first day, but what job does? Imagine yourself going into someone else's home, where everyone is totally stressed out, and trying to blend seamlessly into their lives in a useful fashion. (Most of us can't/don't manage to do that with our extended families, let alone total strangers!)

I know that you are used to GIVING support & advice in your professional capacity, but I feel you need to see the reality of your own situation & realise that - for the moment at least - you should ACCEPT help from someone else, NOW!!

Best wishes

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Lynne

but I feel you need to see the reality of your own situation & realise that - for the moment at least - you should ACCEPT help from someone else, NOW!!

I think you and I are coming from different angles and you don't seem to realise that it was me who requested help in the first place - so I am being 'real' and facing the situation. My home is not always stressed out, but it is more stressed out than either of us are used to. I have no intention whatsoever of refusing help but I wanted to share on TP how surprised I was at having such a care package offered when I know for a fact that others are having to cope with so much more. I will accept help as soon as it is offered and cannot understand why you would think that I wouldn't. I am not a fool and neither was the S.W. as thick as a brick, she was just a bit silly and probably naive.

Love

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Events today

This morning seemed quite normal and rather odd because I was just getting used to the stress.

I decided to tidy up the front garden a little. Alan wanted to help so I asked him to dismantle a wooden chest because all the wood in the drive from the attic is being collected this afternoon. Alan seemed to enjoy this activity although, of course, he is much slower than he would have been at one time. Then his friend from around the corner came to see us expectedly. He has cancer and looks quite poorly. This was nice for Alan. Then Alan mowed the back lawn.

After lunch he said he was tired and is now resting on the bed.

It's a strange life I'm now living but I do really realise that this morning might have been just one of those blessed 'normal' times.

It's now thundering and lightning!!

Love

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Helen, mea culpa

I'm sorry if my post came across as aggressive or offensive; it wasn't meant to be.

As you say, we all come at this thing from different angles and points of view; somehow I had formed the impression of you as a kind of 'SuperWoman', determined to handle it all, come what may. That was obviously incorrect and I apologise.:eek:

Helen said:
I wanted to share on TP how surprised I was at having such a care package offered
I still say 'go for it' :cool: