The last straw.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I am so very sorry Bemused1 that you are having such a struggle. Just want to send you lots of love and a big hug. Oh, and slurps and woofs from all the dogs. Xx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks tmb, we like woofs they make life much better.
On the subject of broken carers Es, these two with injuries practically carry the rest. They are the reliable ones, the ones who won't let you down. They have both been injured with the same client.I am in complete agreement with people having freedom of choice but I really think that changes have to be made. A whole heap of other people, the carers and other clients are being made to suffer so that one person can lead their life as they want.
Sorry but that is just not right..

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thanks tmb, we like woofs they make life much better.
On the subject of broken carers Es, these two with injuries practically carry the rest. They are the reliable ones, the ones who won't let you down. They have both been injured with the same client.I am in complete agreement with people having freedom of choice but I really think that changes have to be made. A whole heap of other people, the carers and other clients are being made to suffer so that one person can lead their life as they want.
Sorry but that is just not right..

Not a good situation bemused, and it all comes down to management again. I don't know why, but in so many areas there just does not seem to be good management. I saw it when I was working and countless people I know have the same experience. Must be a reason. I think part of it is because people are afraid of getting sued, but there seems to be a level of incompetence which wasn't the case in the past. Again, lots of glossy brochures about what people and organisations offer but so often not very much substance.
Dreadful when they are dealing with people's lives.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Not a good situation bemused, and it all comes down to management again. I don't know why, but in so many areas there just does not seem to be good management. I saw it when I was working and countless people I know have the same experience. Must be a reason. I think part of it is because people are afraid of getting sued, but there seems to be a level of incompetence which wasn't the case in the past. Again, lots of glossy brochures about what people and organisations offer but so often not very much substance.
Dreadful when they are dealing with people's lives.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ain't it just, Es. That last statement said it all for me. I'm still in the middle of my own whirlwind. Looks like I'll have to take some drastic action to make TPTB take notice that I will not sacrifice hubby's care. I will not bring him home and have us back to where we were before the crisis came, a few months ago. I booted that idea right out some time ago. If anyone thinks I'll sacrifice his needs, they can kiss my boots, I'm afraid.

I'm a raging bull, now, where that's concerned.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Stick to it chuggs. There is no going back.
I am managing to keep hubs at home because his dementia is of a different kind and apart from the fact that he can't do much for himself. There are no behavioural issues (yet). The problem is his lack of mobility and that coupled with the fact that he can' t remember anything from one minute to the next .
I am just about to purchase,at great expense to us, the turning sheet I mentioned. It means I can move and reposition him with no risk to myself. Then maybe I can stop lying awake all night worrying about what will happen if my back goes. Which has been touch and go for a few months lately. These are all measures I've put in myself, by chasing and reading and spending a LOT of our savings. But it's all relative, I get to keep my husband at home for as long as possible as we both wish, not pay a care home for years and years.
This is our choice, others are not so fortunate I know. We both worked hard for what we have but what better use than to help the person who provided the most.
The carers I hope will appreciate the easy task they have here. That's if they can put up with the harridan my poor husband is married to!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
That turning sheet sounds like a useful thing to know about Bemused. Would you be kind enough to post a link? I expect others would be interested too.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Just wanted to send you my support, bemused. There is obviously a gap to be filled where you live, and I hope something can change soon.
Meanwhile I sympathise with the lack of sleep, and would suggest you do see your GP, especially as your husband does sleep well himself. Maybe something to help you sleep for a while would get you back into a good sleep routine, and you needn't worry too much about hubby needing you in the night if tablets were to make you a bit drowsy. Please don't leave it too long, as sleep deprivation affects us so much .

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
That turning sheet sounds like a useful thing to know about Bemused. Would you be kind enough to post a link? I expect others would be interested too.

Post me instructions on how to link and I will. I know,pathetic aren't I. I know you told me chuggs but in one out the other.
Thanks sleepless for support . I will talk to gp, is is getting to a worrying point

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks. No prob. Highlight the web address. Right click the highlighted address and click on 'copy'. Click on the globe icon with the chain link on it (just above where you are typing). Right click on the long box that opened up when you clicked the globe. Select and click on paste and the link should appear.

Not sure how clear these instructions are.:( It's actually quite a complex business!

Alternatively, perhaps you'd rather name the product (quite acceptable and within the rules) and I'll happily find it and post the link.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks. No prob. Highlight the web address. Right click the highlighted address and click on 'copy'. Click on the globe icon with the chain link on it (just above where you are typing). Right click on the long box that opened up when you clicked the globe. Select and click on paste and the link should appear.

Not sure how clear these instructions are.:( It's actually quite a complex business!

Alternatively, perhaps you'd rather name the product (quite acceptable and within the rules) and I'll happily find it and post the link.

I think the latter is probably a better idea, it might take me some time!
The sheets can be found at Hill-rom.co.UK and areLiko repo sheets.
Thank you Stanley, some areas of my computer knowledge are sadly lacking!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you Stanley. I found the trial one really useful but it would take practice to maximise use. It does however need a ceiling hoist.

I shall continue my education at a slow rate

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Stick to it chuggs. There is no going back.
I am managing to keep hubs at home because his dementia is of a different kind and apart from the fact that he can't do much for himself. There are no behavioural issues (yet). The problem is his lack of mobility and that coupled with the fact that he can' t remember anything from one minute to the next .
I am just about to purchase,at great expense to us, the turning sheet I mentioned. It means I can move and reposition him with no risk to myself. Then maybe I can stop lying awake all night worrying about what will happen if my back goes. Which has been touch and go for a few months lately. These are all measures I've put in myself, by chasing and reading and spending a LOT of our savings. But it's all relative, I get to keep my husband at home for as long as possible as we both wish, not pay a care home for years and years.
This is our choice, others are not so fortunate I know. We both worked hard for what we have but what better use than to help the person who provided the most.
The carers I hope will appreciate the easy task they have here. That's if they can put up with the harridan my poor husband is married to!

Tell ya wot, bemused; if we had got even the tiniest bit of support for that first six and a half years; I would have kept him home for far longer. Actually, he'd still be here now. It took the third crisis to get care for him. Now that the care charges are beyond me, they'll listen when I move out of here, if I have to, and there's only his money coming in to the account.

Remember I said before that I'd get him out of care to save our finances? Well, that's changed. I'd kill him f I did that. Care in crisis? Yes, it is, if it takes such drastic action from a wife to get the help a sick person desperately needs. But I'll do it, bemused. I'll move out if it takes that much to get him what he needs. I refuse to put up with being ignored any more. Mum doesn't understand, but hey, she's never lived with what we've lived with. She's been through her own hell over her lifetime, but not this. I need to take a stand.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Post me instructions on how to link and I will. I know,pathetic aren't I. I know you told me chuggs but in one out the other.
Thanks sleepless for support . I will talk to gp, is is getting to a worrying point

Tell me what it's called and I'll look it up. Must be on ye olde internet somewhere!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Write to your MP. Threatening to move out will probably not be effective unless TV cameras are there
Stanley's posted the utube link for me thanks chuggs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallySunnyside