The joys of respite (Rockin' Mama)

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Just wanted to share with you all about mum today.
Went into respite home and there they all were singing away at the top of their voices to Elvis! She wasn't too happy to be taken out of room for her physio session. She was certainly having a better time than dad and I!
Eventually left to the strains of "The Wonder of You"
Says it all really folks, doesn't it?
Happy Days! (And there still are some)

Considering this time last week I was in the depths of despair about her going into respite. Thanks to all of you for going through it all with me. Couldn't have done it without you.

Love, Magic. x

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Magic, so pleased for you, just goes to show doesn't it. I sometimes think it is about like when you leave your little babe with nanny for the first time, you worry till you feel sick, but actually the little tyke has a great time. Keep up the good work, tell your mum Elvis reigns! Enjoy your breaks when you get them, they get you through to the next one!! OK, I don't mean it quite like that, but you know what I mean. Love, She. XX:

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I know exactly what you mean Sheila. I've never had a respite break before and although it was bitter sweet, I can see how it can enable you to carry on with the task in hand.
Respite Reigns! But in small doses, cause I miss the little tyke!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Magic, first respite my mum had, four days in, my son said "when's nan coming home, I really miss the crazy little old sweetheart!" This is the thing, we love them so much, but we have to have that break to keep the momentum going or we just couldn't do it. We had respites every 4 -6 weeks in the last year cause it was a 24/7 on the go thing in between, night was non existant so I was sleeping while she was at day care to get through the next one. Take what ever you can get when it comes to help because it means you can give more quality care when there is no-one else that way. Love She. XX

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
You've been through it all Shiela and I appreciate your advice. You can only really learn from those whom have experienced this illness with a loved one. So called professionals haven't a clue and have rarely been of any help to me.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Magic,

Sounds like the old Mum's having a whale of a time! What a relief for you. I'm so very glad that it's working out so well for you. How's your father handling things - has he been lonely or able to relax?

Jude

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
He's been lonely and relaxed, if that makes sense.

We're looking forward to having her back tomorrow and yet, dreading all the 24/7 stuff. But we're only human so you've got to allow for the mixed emotions etc.
One thing that has shocked me is, I really didn't realise how much we both needed the break, and how very close to the edge I'd gotten. Caring is the hardest job on earth (my opinion anyway).

Thanks for asking Jude.

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Magic

really good news on two fronts - firstly yours! It sounds as if things have worked out well - certainly better than you expected, and we are all delighted about that.

Secondly, there have been sightings of Elvis all over the place over the years, and now we have concrete evidence of his current address, and it ain't Heartbreak Hotel by the sound of it.

Next time you are there, please say "Uh-huh-huh" to him for me!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Yes, Mum confirmed it was definitely him, as he was wearing his white rinestone suit, she said, "Thanks Elvis for a very nice afternoon."
He replied
"That's alright Mama"

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Good thing you got him on a good afternoon. Sometimes he says:

"If you're lookin' fer trouble,
Yuh come to the right place.
If you're lookin' fer trouble,
Jes' look right in my face..."

followed later by..

"Ah'm evil, evil, evil, thatsa me"

Sometimes when you can't get your peanut butter hamburger, I guess you get like that!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Brucie, Methinks you may be a secret Elvis impersonater in your spare time.
Or is that just my "Suspicious Mind"?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Magic,

I don't know anything about Elvis songs so can't contribute to this very amusing line. Have you got some Elvis songs ready for when Mum comes home? Could be a good idea.

That takes me on to the topic of music. Whatever your taste, do invest in loads of CD's that your loved ones relish. It makes life so happy for them, when they can have a good old singalong and enjoy themselves.

I don't think I've actually used music half as much as I need to do. Am going to give it a whirl and see how their spirits improve.

Best wishes,

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Jude and Magic, music is a wonderful healer, my mum was singing "Little Sir Echo" along with Vera Lynne the day before she died, OK, you had to listen and know what she was singing but she was enjoying the CD. I've lots of wartime tapes etc. that she loved. Magic, be careful she doesn't make off to the shops for new "Blue Suede Shoes"! Love, She. XX

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Sheila, she loves wearing her blue suede shoes, but whatever you do, don't step on them!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Brucie, He says to tell you yes we did in younger days but now it's more a case of "Follow that dream" (Elvis '62) Love She. XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti