The journey is not yet over

Tina

May 19, 2006
Thinking of you and yours, Helen, and glad you have that feeling of peace.

We had this situation exactly with my gramps twice (chest infection, not wanting to send him to hospital but keeping him in the surroundings of his NH which he knew and with star nurses and doctors who were oh so compassionate and caring, with him and with us) and with Aunty Jean once. I couldn't be there with nan when it happened to her...

...and I remember the same sense of peace and calm while we were all together with them as a family, or the ones of us that could be there at the time. Almost totally at ease, sharing lots of memories, reminiscences, laughs and tears...support for each other and for gramps and Aunty Jean.

Take good care,
Tina xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Helen

what you have done is really inspirational.

I'm so pleased that, in a situation where it could so easily have gone awry, through a lot of grit and love you have brought the best out of it.

I loved the description you gave:
We had taken our own kettle and mugs etc, and we spent the night reminiscing - well dad did most of that! We sat around mum - still she was at the centre of her family

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Amy said:
I do feel a strange sense of peace with the situation.

Helen, I'm so glad you have found that peace. Your description of Wednesday night is so moving.

You are now in a place where you are hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

May that peace stay with you and your family.

Love,

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Helen

What a moving account of Wednesday night, what a lucky lady your Mum is to have such a close, loving family who still acknowledge her as the centre of it.

Thinking of you.

Kathleen
x

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen,
I'm sorry to hear about your Mum and it was good that you were all able to spend that time together in her room. It is very hard to let go, but there is a sense of peace when you feel able to say goodbye.
My Mum unexpectedly had a heart attack and died before we could get to the hospital, even though we went straight away. I think it would have been nice to have had some time together, but it is a comfort that she didn't suffer. I'm glad that your Mum seems to be so much better today.
Now I'm finding it hard to walk around the supermarket, because I keep rememberng all the times we went shopping and all her favourite foods and flowers bring back memories. I would like to buy myself some flowers to remind me of Mum, but I just can't bring myself to choose a bunch from the display. Instead of getting over losing her, I seem to be getting worse as I think of the times before she became so ill.
I just wish I had a brother or sister to share memories with.
Kayla

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hiya Hon

I think that when our time comes, if we had a choice of how to end our life's journey, we would all choose to be surrounded by the people who love us........ with a peaceful setting and soft music and holding the hand of someone we love.............thats what you've given your mum and i've no doubt thats why your Mum was so settled and peaceful........i know she'd be proud of you.

Just remember that we are with you in thought.............i know your suffering and i hope the outcome is whatever you hope for.

Much love
Alex x

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Dear Helen,

I do understand about reaching that strange feeling of acceptance, even though it still hurts so much. This was how I finally felt, and still feel, about Dad.

Thinking of you, and your Mum and Dad.

Much love from Hazel.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Helen, so sorry that you and your family have to go through such a difficult time. Thinking of you. Take Care. Taffy.