The January Lads

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
There will have been 4 funerals in 15 days, and I can't remember there ever being so many in such a short time. I'm doing my best to try and focus on one thing a day, and after Billy had his claws clipped, I decided to pen a few words in honour of our lads. They will always be our darling boys, just as they saw us as their girls.

THE JANUARY LADS

Oh those lads that we loved have departed
And the girls left behind all remember
Of the days left, bereft, broken hearted
Two this month, and two more in December

All the funerals we've been arranging
In the opening month of the year
How our lives have been horribly changing
And not for the better, we fear

We've arranged all the cars, and the flowers
We've attempted to get it all right
On the details we've pondered for hours
And yearned for some sleep in the night

And our lads, once so strong and so charming
Up in Heaven, they watch with great pride
As in grief we all long for our darling
And wish he was here by our side

So as Pete, John and Tony are waiting
Along with their pal "Mr Wife"
They discuss all the news they're debating
"There's no Alzheimer's, mate, in this life"

And the girls left behind are in mourning
For the lads that they cherished for years
And we pray each new day that is dawning
Will help us to smile through our tears

All the funerals soon will be finished
Though others will follow, I'm sure
But the love we all shared won't diminish
For they'll live in our hearts evermore

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
You've just made me cry again Scarlett!

What a wonderful poem:) I will always think of our recently departed as 'The January Lads'. I wonder what they are doing know? Probably Pete and John are gently teasing 'Mr Wife' and Tony and telling them they will have to be there early for the front pew:) Pete will be late (as always), they will all have put on weight and look really healthy. I just hope that they all behave themselves:eek:

Thank you Scarlett for being so thoughtful

Love

Lyn T XX

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You've just made me cry again Scarlett!

What a wonderful poem:) I will always think of our recently departed as 'The January Lads'. I wonder what they are doing know? Probably Pete and John are gently teasing 'Mr Wife' and Tony and telling them they will have to be there early for the front pew:) Pete will be late (as always), they will all have put on weight and look really healthy. I just hope that they all behave themselves:eek:

Thank you Scarlett for being so thoughtful

Love

Lyn T XX

Oh wouldn't that be luverly! To think of them healthy looking, and smiling and blowing raspberries at the "friends" entering the funeral services who have been insensitive, invisible, thoughtless or all three. And hysterically laughing as Tony and Mr Wife comment on these "mourners" - and cheering loudly when their girls enter. :)

John and I always had a "thing" about being early, and have spent many times, sitting in the car for ages, parked around the corner from the people we were visiting. I expect John will save Pete and the others a front row seat. :) xxx

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Absolute tears and a chill of inspiration for your beautiful writing. I've got a December girl who we will say goodbye to tomorrow. In a blink of an eye, dancing from this world into the next...

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm sure the January Lads will invite the Dancing December girl into their gang. It seems there will be quite a party going on:):)

I hope everything goes well tomorrow Benrese XXXX

DIANE69

Jan 7, 2014
wirral
Thats beautiful Scarlet,I am just taking a photo of Tony to the funeral home and have been sat here for 30 mins thinking of him before this horrible,horrible illness changed him so much.When I make my little speach tomorrow I will concentrate on those 4 happy smiling faces in the front pew.They probably will be holding up scores out of then like Strictly-hope I get at least a 7.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
What lovely words, Scarlett and so appropriate. My heart goes out to you all. May you all find peace. Loving thoughts. Verityxx

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Absolute tears and a chill of inspiration for your beautiful writing. I've got a December girl who we will say goodbye to tomorrow. In a blink of an eye, dancing from this world into the next...

Oh those January Lads will courteously and politely welcome a December/January girl into their midst, never fear. They'll probably jostle each other, getting her a good front row seat.

So they've two funerals to watch tomorrow - quite a busy day Up There. But because time is so different, it doesn't matter a jot if the Goodbyes overlap, or clash. They'll be able to watch them from beginning to end, individually.

I hope you get through your day, and know that all of us at TP will be there with you.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
A wonderful poem. I smiled and cried. The January Lads were so lucky with their girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
So very poignant.And a salutary reminder that Alzheimers should not define a person who has had a full and happy life before illness struck

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Did your Dad wear those sleevebands...the ones which looked a bit like a wrist watch band, but expanded and expanded ( especially when the elastic inside snapped)? Mine did, which is why I thought of them.......I found a link ( bad pun) but I don't know if it'll work....
anyway I was just thinking that the circle of those gone ahead is a bit like these armbands.....it'll stretch to take as many as are needed to be in the circle of love.:D

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 472

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My first boss used to wear them, in fact OH used to wear them. Might even be some in a drawer somewhere!