The importance of touch

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I mentioned this in another thread but had not listened to the podcast myself. Now I have.
Prof. Francis McGlone, a neuro scientist is researching Touch at the John Moore University,
He explains the are two types the quick warning touch and also the slow touch that uses what are caled C. Fibres. He explains easily why the slow touch is so very important especially in childhood, he also spoke of how our modern culture has changed our natural behaviour to touch. 50, 30, years ago people touched far more.
I will not say more but his talk and research is fascinating.
It can be found on
the link in the next post . Francis McGlone is also on YouTube, I will try and find time.

What interested me is the affect on brain damage. We all know that the frontal lobe is the seat of emotion. There is an emotional quality to pain as well as a physical one.
As other researchers have said the person with dementia has needs very similar to those of a healthy childhood, one to one attention, touch, humour, unconditional love and play.
Care homes and nurseries at getting together with great results.
Loneliness is becoming a great problem, that of those ill but also of those caring for them.

On a note of hope we can hug more, touch more, listen to less negative news and visit uplifting places with music and art, I suggest we can bring much of this to the home/house bound too.
He spoke of perceived norms too, a danger on here perhaps. He explained that something heard often enough affects our behaviour even though there are no facts to support it. Take the current call about elderly drivers, evidence says most are safe.
Perceived Norms I feel applies to TP when a newcomer reads everything and scares their self to death.
Some posts are uplifting, Kindred for one, quite an antidote for the fear of Care homes.