The importance of time, day, month, year.

User

Mar 23, 2015
I'm going to but a clock for me ol' mum, who forgets what day it is.

There're various models; some "traditional" time dials, some digital, some have dayname/daynumber/monthname and some have year.

How much use is the year, I wonder? There's one with a traditional numbered dial, with dayname/daynumber/monthname and year, but the year is where the number "6" would be, which spoils the clean look of the thing. There are others similar but without the year, which look better.

What do you think (see attachments)?

Attachments

• tddm1.jpg
    tddm1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 604
  • tddmy.jpg
    tddmy.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 602
  • tddm.jpg
    tddm.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 632

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I prefer the one on the right seems clearer to me, and agree the year isn't crucial - unless your mum actually keeps asking which year it is
I wonder if you could enlarge each to fill the screen and then show to your mum - ask her to read the date (rather than which she prefers) and the time and you'll see which is clearer for her (as long as she won't get muddled because the dates aren't today's)
dad is now not able to work out the minutes on a traditional clock - asks why it is 20 past when the hand is pointing to 4 - I'm guessing that from the wording of your post this isn't a problem but just wonder about a digital clock to save any future expense?
PS dad also gets confused by the second hand now - which was another reason to go digital

Last edited:

User

Mar 23, 2015
I prefer the one on the right seems clearer to me, and agree the year isn't crucial

Thank you very much for your response and other comments. I may agree about the date, and I should think that people's own preferences and foibles are important. I will show the pics to my mum.

I meant to post this in "I care for...", so I've added it there.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
The day works well for my mum also User:) big numbers on the clock also are a bonus, the one on the right seems perfect, great idea from Shedrech to show these pictures to your mum:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We use the following three together. OH is mostly unimpressed but funnily enough, the only one he seems to consult now and then is the standard one showing the time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 505
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 492

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
We use the following three together. OH is mostly unimpressed but funnily enough, the only one he seems to consult now and then is the standard one showing the time.

Hi beatie can i ask where you got the bottom one from the one that tells you what part of the day it is.. Thank you exhausted 2015 xx

jen54

May 20, 2014
wasa looking for advise on this, mum has never a lcue about what day.month/year it is :(
we get the paper and turn the tv mag to the correct day when we visit
but wondering if it is worth getting a lcock with day and month on it??
mum is ok wihtntelling the time, tough she will forget- so unless she looks at a clock all the time, she will forget anyway
I am concerned that she may see them as for the "elderly..." she wont have a white hand rail on the bannister yet -she took it down and presented it to me, saying she wasn't old yet :( so worried these clocks may look as if she is simple..(in her words)
ned ot be wall hanging I thing..as her only clock is in kitchen
the little basic one she loves by her TV wont be replaced easily..she would refuse-but she can read the time off that one

was hoping they would do ordinary kitchen clocks with the day and date larger..but they don't
I am not actually sure mum can relate to digital?? may have to go the route of getting pictures and asking her about some-

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
I've made this comment on other similar threads. I have 2 old laptops, one in Mum's bedroom and one in the lounge, that display day, date and time. I use a shareware program called 'hugeclock' which you can find easily by searching on google. I have the program running as a screensaver so it comes back again if the laptop is touched. If you happen to have an old laptop it's a cheap solution.

The laptop has an old version of MS Office so recently I've used PowerPoint to display a message. Of course, I have to remember to set the screensaver again!

Mum lives with us - it would be more difficult to manage if she live elswhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti