The importance of an Alzheimer's diagnosis

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
How important is it to have an Alzheimer's diagnosis if it may possibly alarm an alert patient who would be affected noticeably by being part of a process in which that person did not know they would be part?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Chris100

It`s important for the family and the main carer in order to help them know what they`re dealing with. It`s also important for the person with dementia to help them gain access to as much help as is available.

It may be up to the discretion of the person who would try to organise an LPA, the primary carer, partner, sibling or offspring to decide whether it`s in the best interests of the person with dementia to know the details.

If it is thought the person with dementia will be unduly distressed I think referring to memory loss may be sufficient.

However there are many people on this forum who have total insight into their dementia and it would be an insult to them to withhold information about a diagnosis.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I am, indeed, one of those who has insight into my Alzheimer's. However, @Chris100 I also realise the chaotic thoughts and fears you yourself have. I live in a generational household of medics and am looked after and supported. However, my OH is in the same position as yourself with no medical knowledge.

One of the dilemmas we have is ascertaining what Is needed as opposed to what is wanted. I am unsure (apologies if I have missed this) if you actually have a diagnosis yet. As a PWD (person with dementia) I am aware there is limited support out there, and little medicine can offer.

A diagnosis opens the limited number of doors to services that are available, and this will ultimately help both you and your wife . @Grannie G gives sound advice and valid points. I will also add that whilst I still have insight and sound rational, I have periods of time when I need guidance and input from carers and services.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Chris 100 i have seen a few treads where you’re asking for advice.:) unfortunately :confused: I don’t know your age or why your asking the questions, so I assume it’s for yourself now your question : “ How important is it to have an Alzheimer's diagnosis “ again the answerer on depends age also on how dementated and capable the person actually is then they possibly need a lot of support from carers ect its very important to have a diagnoses ,

However if the person with dementia younger is still mentally alert and capable to manage their own affairs or wants to continue working , driving and living ect and normal active life “ having a diagnoses can drastically change your life entirely because the bureaucrats will Try to run your life its defiantly something to think about

but again please read this as my opinion :DChris given from my own personal experiences of a dignosees for almost 23 years :eek: but its not advice

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
Hi Chris 100 i have seen a few treads where you’re asking for advice.:) unfortunately :confused: I don’t know your age or why your asking the questions, so I assume it’s for yourself now your question : “ How important is it to have an Alzheimer's diagnosis “ again the answerer on depends age also on how dementated and capable the person actually is then they possibly need a lot of support from carers ect its very important to have a diagnoses ,

However if the person with dementia younger is still mentally alert and capable to manage their own affairs or wants to continue working , driving and living ect and normal active life “ having a diagnoses can drastically change your life entirely because the bureaucrats will Try to run your life its defiantly something to think about

but again please read this as my opinion :DChris given from my own personal experiences of a dignosees for almost 23 years :eek: but its not advice
Thanks to all. Self and afflicted in 70s but both fully alert.