The impact of hearing loss.....

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Olliebeak, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Olliebeak

Olliebeak Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    I have learned over the last few days not to overlook the impact of not being able to hear. Over the last couple of weeks I had become increasingly exasperated by the fact my OH did not appear to be understanding anything I said to him until I noticed he was changing the batteries in his hearing aids for the second time in two days. He said they did not seem to be working and when I checked them they are not working at all. I know the tubes do block from time to time. So I dug around and found his old aids and suddenly he can hear me, things at home are much calmer and he is much happier. Appointment with the hearing centre made.

Kicking myself for not realising before and something for all carers to consider. If a PWD actually cannot hear what is being said to them they have no chance of being able to process the information and if the loss of hearing is quite gradual they probably do not have the ability to identify the problem.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Good advice @Olliebeak.

Its difficult to suddenly know to check hearing aids when you have no experience of needing them yourself.

3. Olliebeak

Olliebeak Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    Buckinghamshire
    As a follow up to my last post - we had an appointment with a new audiologist as the one we used to go did not understand OH’s condition. He just thought he was a bit eccentric and once lectured me about how to speak to OH and would not accept there was an issue of being able to process what he heard.

She was amazing. She spent an hour and a half with us. Explained how to look after his aids which the previous chap had never done. (Well he might have told OH but not me!). She retuned his aids and was so patient. Having help from someone like that is so encouraging.

OH can now hear much better. Does not mean he always understands what is said but that’s another story

4. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    @Olliebeak its always good when someone takes time with you, my husband was blind and needed hearing aids then adding Alzheimer’s in to the equation it was a nightmare thank you for sharing your positive results