the good, the bad and the ugly

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Norman and Michael like you there is no way I can leave my wife to the 'care' of a NH. When ever I think of the one I placed my wife in, I'm enveloped in a deep
sadness. Though it is over four years ago I still remember Bert, Nester, Ester, May and many more. I loved to talk to them even though they repeated the same stories. I looked past the body which was withered by the passage on the sea of time and saw beauty, once a child, a Mom, a Dad. Each and every one of them I will always remember. Iris like Bert had no visitors were special people to me. Sadly Iris passed away just before we left, such a lovley lady who was only visited once in a while by her daughter-in-law. Often I took her hand and walked her to the front door as she repeated her son's phone number every day. I would sit with her by the door waiting for her son, he never came.
About six months later while I was pushing Jean around Homebase I bumped into the daughter-in-law. She looked surprised at seeing how well Jean looked: "You don't remember me?"
"Yes I do, Iris, I'm sorry at her passing. Did her son ever get to see her?"
"He couldn't face the hurt, he wanted to remember her the way she was."
How often I have heard that. I know what I think, but can't hurt anyone by saying
"Why do we always think of ourselves, what of the turmoil of our loved one?"
My wife and I are very fortunate, for there are some unfortunate souls who have no one. I'm aware there are good NHs and most Dads, Mums, G'Dads and Nans would not wish their children to give up their lives to care for them, rather wish then a fun and happy life.
Ever thought that might be why some say, they don't need help and try to drive you away, they love you. Sorry to go on just my thoughts. Padraig

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Hazel
I think John looks wonderful....(Skye's looking pretty good too!!!)
I'm glad you two are going away for a holiday.....and I'm sure you'll be fine....you sound well prepared so have a great time!
Love Wendy xx

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Morning, Hazel

What a lovely picture of John and Skye. I hope you enjoy your break. Will Skye go too?:)

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hiya Hazel

I think John looks great too............your certainly doing a great job looking after him!............if you ever get bored and need someone else to look after............i could get used to Bonnie Scotland!:D

Enjoy your holiday..........North Berwick eh?............me and Wendy are having a few days in Seahouses that week..............just a few miles down the road from you............so if we spot skye, i'll give ya a wave.............on the other hand............if you see a couple of nuns walking the beach................you can either give us a wave, or run in the opposite direction!;) :D :D

Love Alex x

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Well done Hazel! Sounds perfect and the executive suite + massage makes me green with envy. Hope you have a wonderful time. Great photo of John - looks like a really nice guy... probably a bit forgetful like most men... !!!!!

have a super time

love

Michael

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the posts, I'm glad it's not just me thinking he's doing well.

Lucille, sadly we can't take Skye, she has to go to kennels. And that was the first problem. I hadn't updated her kennel cough vaccination, because I didn't think we'd be going to a hotel again. Fortunately I managed to get her done this morning, so it will be OK by next Monday.

Alex, I'll look after you any time, but you'd be packing your bags after half an hour. I'm much too bossy -- and John can't answer back!

We'd be delighted to see you (in habits or without) next week, if you fancy a drive. We'll be at Marine Hotel Monday to Thursday.

Michael, yes, he is a bit forgetful, but he now has an excuse. Have you?

Love to all,

alex

Apr 10, 2006
You never know Hazel............i might just take you up on that! If i can drag Wendy away from the pub long enough!:eek:
Its a pity you couldn't take skye...........i bet he'll miss you both!

Love Alex x

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Michael E said:
A geriatric version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest! The Directrice seemed to know the name of each of the 19 inmates and paid a little attention to almost all. respectful and friendly but they are all so old and so ugly and so awfully totally bananas...
Michael
Hi Michael

I admire your frankness and un-PC-ness, if that's such a word! :) I hope you get something sorted for Monique and for you. You deserve some respite.:)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Skye - just caught up with this wonderful photo - great!! We have just booked two nights in a hotel in Evesham to meet up with two wonderful, understanding, friends. David has agreed to condition of using wheelchair and I just hope that sticks. If not I know our friends will be kind and considerate with him.

I really hope your hol works out well. At least someone else will make beds and prepare meals - and the massage!!!!!!!!!! - lovely.
Take care and enjoy your break Love Beckyjan.