The Future ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
The Future?

Maybe it’s that time of year but lately I have been thinking about the future and what it may hold. Yesterday I was re-reading some posts from the last few months and there was one thing that stuck out. The time scale of Alzheimer’s seemed to be very similar. Most of the posts stated that “X” was diagnosed in such a year and within five to 7yrs they were totally incapable of looking after themselves. Sometimes unfortunately earlier than that in some cases, and within three to five years some needed round the clock care or hospitalization of some sort.
Does this give me a time scale of my life? I know everybody`s different and the unpredictability of AD shows that nothing is the same but the common factors linking a lot of posts is there to see.
Do people in my position (early stages) think about this and what conclusion do they come to? Also what about the people who are unfortunately further down the line than me? Did they think about this and how did they cope? Did it take over before they realised what was happening? (A blessing some would say) or did they sit there wondering just what the future holds as am I.
Best wishes, a very thoughtful Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
The future

Hi Norms I think we do think about it a lot of the time unless we are in complete denial. I've been diagnosed a year and on ARICEPT for about 9 months. On the surface I lead a relatively normal life but like you I know the differences and the things I don't always talk about. Last Sunday I met up with my three children and we had a straight talk about what I might need and what I wanted in terms of care if anything should happen to Paul whose physical health is very poor.- like I do not want to live with any of them, Not because I don't love them to pieces but I just wouldn't put that on them. I feel I have put as much in place as I can. For the rest I want to live life as fully as I can while I still can and after that - well what can we do but accept the way it is. We have no control over what life throws at us but I feel strongly that accepting it in peace makes for a better quality of life than railing against it. It works for me anyway. Hey I might drop dead with a swift heart attack the day after I go into care (I wish)
Look at the beauty of the autumn leaves, plant wallflowers and bask in the love around you and let tomorrow look after itself
Shelagh

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Hi Norms and Shelagh
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Mum spends so much of her time worrying about her future. Born a worrier, she cannot help it, this I understand.
I always find myself increasing my levels of patience and understanding after reading your comments which give an insight of how the sufferer of dementia feels.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Regards Hazel

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

Thank you Hazel, sometimes i just wonder what the future may be and it fills me without absolute dread, latley it just hits home how short my time may be to try and help other people on here as in life, but i will continue to do so as logd as possible, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

terry16

May 13, 2009
hampshire
Hello
This is the first time I have come into this forum,my husband Terry has AD, He had cancer 9 years ago and recovered physically
but mentally it took a toll.

He was diagnosed 2 years ago, has been on aricept for 18 monthes.
It was wonderful seeing the change that aricept bought.

But the real reason for replying to your thread was to say that Terry is seemingly not getting a great deal worse and I think that is because in the beginning I was like a headless chicken,trying to keep him up to speed with everything, Now I have calmed down he is far more accepting of his limitations.

I feel peoples expectations are that the mind just completely breaks down, and I know you all know far better than me that the gradual decline is a far truer picture.

Time is the biggest factor,isn,t it. for the carer and the person with AD. The lack of control over your own life, in my case the selfish thoughts of my life on hold.Terry is one of lifes optimists. He just has a few problems with his memory!!

Sorry to ramble,please all take care.

My mum had a mantra that I hold dear.
THIS TIME TO WILL PASS--ENDURE IT WHILE IT LASTS
THIS TIME TO WILL PASS--ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS
Jan

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Thanks Jan and welcome to TP. I am the eternal optomist in my family but i am convinced thats whats kept me going all these years, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxx

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Someone said the other day that there is not a time scale when the medication is used, as there are no records to prove how good it is at slowing the illness down.

While I confess the thought of the future does not appeal in the slightest, I always try to keep myself busy so that I do not get the chance to stop long enough to think about it.

This came from my daughter who is a biologist, as she would not allow my to sit and think too much after the diagnosis, and so far that has stuck with me.

That's the beauty of a strong willed wife and daughter, if one does not get you the other will, In the nicest possible way of cause, and I would be lost with out them.

Ken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just a note to say that my husband's diagnosis was 9 years ago. Even though there has obviously been a deterioration and he relies on me for most things we still go on our holidays abroad and enjoy life. It's just a different kind of life. Best wishes. Izzy x