The funny side of dementia

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Aww bless your mum, Candlelight, she must really have wanted that glass of wine!

When my dad was in hospital, and more confused than usual, we packed some toiletries for him in my husbands best toiletry bag. Dad saw it and said "ooh, where did you find that bag? I haven't seen it for years!". To this day he still thinks it is his!

Similarly, last week I took a small magnifying glass to dad in his care home... I'd found it while clearing his house out. Dad thanked me and said "I've got one just like that in my drawer at home". I smiled and just nodded :).

It must have been a very special toiletry bag. How lovely.

Yes my Mother does enjoy her glass of wine.:D

Santalak

Jan 26, 2016
I have had some similar funny experience with my grandma. Some times I laugh about it, sometimes it makes me cry but I try to stay positive.

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Boris Johnson hair

My mother recently has been convinced that her hair looks like Boris Johnson. For years shes had a perm and only very recently has it gone straight.I thought she was unhappy with the new style no she !ikes it.

Every time she looks in the mirror she thinks It looks like Boris. Now we have a lovely laugh about it. Even my mothers hairdresser !Ike's the joke too.

My mother has even torn out a picture of Boris so she can compare.

I hope this might give someone a chuckle.

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Toy collie dog

Mother is not advanced enough to be fooled into looking after a lifelike doll... but my brother took in a very realistic collie soft toy - life size! Mother took to it straight away, patting it and talking to it and said ‘he wags his tail!’. Later she said ‘well as long as I don’t wake up and see him walking across the room’ and she and we laughed.
A few days later she said ‘soppy dog’ – all he does is sit there – I expect him to move or lick me but he just stays still. :eek:

May 27, 2019
I was chatting to my grandad yesterday and he randomly told me very worried that he would pass on mixing the cake. I had to reassure him that it was ok and that we weren’t making a cake.

Made me laugh

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976