The Found Ring

Petrus

Aug 7, 2007
Northumberland
Many will relate to this tale, I feel sure.

On Tuesday J. went out with care manager for an hour. A couple of hours after returning she noticed that her wedding ring was not on her finger. Immediately she thought care manager must have taken it or, second thought, the lady at the National Trust property they visited.

I worked with J. to help her realise that her three other rings were still on her fingers and much more valuable, obviously; that her wedding ring was always under her eternity ring; so she must have taken off her wedding ring at home before she went out. "No way I could have done that", she claimed, "you know I never take off my wedding ring". "True!" I thought, "but you are not the you of old".

It took an hour for the end result of the logic to sink in. Then the maelstrom struck. "It must be in the house; where can I have put it? we must search everywhere until we find it". After checking the obvious places with no success, total dismay; tears, screaming, hand-wringing. Took an hour to restore a semblance of calm. Spent rest of the day answering, "Where is my ring?" with reassurances that it will turn up to be met with, "We must look. Everything is finished."

Wednesday I thought to check the settee she sits on. Nothing there!! She saw me do it!! Another hour to persuade her that there was nowhere sensible for us to look and it would turn up. A day full of "We must look, Everything is finished".

Today Thursday we organised to go shopping. She came to me to show me the rings she had on so I could be sure nothing got lost. There was her wedding ring - above (not below) the eternity ring. I pointed it out to her to be met with denial, "No!! I have lost that ring, this must be another". We placed all her rings back in their boxes. One left over. "Oh!!!!!!! this is my wedding ring. Where has that come from? Who found it? When did I get it back?"

Who knows? J. doesn't; nor do I. Much rejoicing. A wry smile and an internal laugh - you do, don't you? or you would go crazy. Come to think of it, maybe I am. Where on earth was that ring? I had looked everywhere sensible. Did I dream the whole loss? No!! I couldn't have. The wedding ring is ALWAYS under the eternity ring - isn't it?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
you do, don't you? or you would go crazy. Come to think of it, maybe I am. Where on earth was that ring? I had looked everywhere sensible. Did I dream the whole loss? No!! I couldn't have he wedding ring is ALWAYS under the eternity ring - isn't it?.

lol yes can so relate to it

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The wedding ring is ALWAYS under the eternity ring - isn't it?

Normally, yes! But's what's normal in this fantasy world we all inhabit?:confused:

The ring's found -- panic over. Until the next time, that is!:)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Petrus said:
"Where is my ring?"

This is from experience....bottom of the tissue box....toes of shoes ....inside rolled up socks....pockets of clothing and even the freezer. I think I could write a book on hiding places. Glad the ring reappeared. Regards Taffy.

Devonmaid

Sep 23, 2007
Dartmoor Devon
That made me smile, I can really relate to it ! Just before Mum went into hospital , we had gone to visit them at home . Mum was going through one of her stages of insisting on giving certain items away and, on this visit, she was absolutely insistant on giving me her bread bin ! I really didnt want to take it but she got really upset so we took it home and i put it in a cupboard . A couple of weeks later, we noticed a smell, a really horrible smell coming from the cupboard and emptied it , along with the bread bin which I have to admit I was stupid enough not to have really looked at or even taken off the lid which had been sellotaped on . In it was a packet of ham , now green but worse was the piece of raw chicken breast which could have climbed out on its own had it not been for the sellotape ! We chucked all onto the fire but thankfully, just in time, found one of Mums old bracelets in the bottom , the very one she had accused the carer of stealing some weeks before !

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Oh how I can relate to the 'wedding ring' saga.

When my nan died over 40 years ago now, my mum had nans wedding ring, and hers melted down and made into one ring.

We went through a period of 'looking' for both rings, try explaining that one, that they are 'both' she same rings. Jeepers, nightmare, but then we moved onto the missing rug:eek: hay ho.

Lotti

Jul 31, 2007
Hi,
My mum wraps everything up in tissues or kitchen roll ! I have to check every one before throwing any paper away.

Lotti