The Fidget Widget Toolkit

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Hi everyone,

Have you heard about our first ever product designed and developed by Alzheimer’s Society? It was created and made available with the help of the University of Central Lancashire and Active Minds.

The Fidget Widget Toolkit contains 5 wooden hand held widgets each with a particular motion; spin, slide, twist turn or roll. The motion can help to relax or calm someone living with dementia, or simply support repetitive actions. It provides meaningful activity to people with moderate to advanced dementia, by recreating fidgeting behaviours to enhance a person’s wellbeing.

864-430fidgetwidgettoolkit_widgets_2.jpg

If you'd like to find out more or purchase one of our Fidget Widget Toolkits, please visit the link below:

https://shop.alzheimers.org.uk/daily-living-aids/Innovations

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
They look nice and lovely but they are very very expensive. Surely part of the design process should be affordability. We have a Where's Wally magic wand which didn't cost any thing like this. Is there any way of the design team looking at existing products which can be ruggedised, or adulted to make them suitable.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It's good to see that there is a growing choice of activities that might appeal to males (though I know it is not gender specific).

When my husband was alive I (we) found that things like fidget muffs and other hand activity toys etc were a bit too 'girly' for him and he wasn't interested. It reached the point where I actually ended up making my own activity board for him with various things like wheels, locks, switches, nuts and bolts - and finally he could twiddle to his heart's content.

I am glad to see that this toolkit can also be bought as individual pieces.

Minky4

Mar 27, 2018
These are brilliant for my partner who has PPA. He’s rarely still but one of these (especially the middle one) keeps him settled and occupied for quite a while. Brilliant for long waits in doctors waiting rooms etc.
They can be bought individually on Amazon!

rmabo

May 19, 2019
Someone in the thread mentioned these were nice but expensive - If i can be of help, please note that amazon uk sells 'cube fidgets' for very cheap, and they can be bought on street markets for even cheaper (i had mine for less than a pound).
Maybe they are a different 'beasts' being cheaper and i can only speak for myself but my mother had no interest in them... That said, the question is does the person find relief in the repetition of motor activity (fidgeting). Maybe you can buy a cheap one and 'upgrade' to the nicer ones if they work with your loved one?

Bubbles195

Mar 29, 2020
The idea of fidgeting activities is a really good idea thanks for sharing but cheaper alternatives could be found in the simplest of things within the home. Being very frugal myself im sure if I look around my home I will find items which could give the same relief . I will get back to you on this matter just give me a week to investigate such items of interest. In the meantime suppose we could all look for items of dual purpose for effective fidgeting toys

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
The idea of fidgeting activities is a really good idea thanks for sharing but cheaper alternatives could be found in the simplest of things within the home. Being very frugal myself im sure if I look around my home I will find items which could give the same relief . I will get back to you on this matter just give me a week to investigate such items of interest. In the meantime suppose we could all look for items of dual purpose for effective fidgeting toys

Welcome to DTP @Julie Thorne. Good luck with hunting things down. Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27