The end

LynneR

Sep 11, 2009
West Sussex
Everything seemed to be going so well, Mum was settling in her home albeit with odd little niggles such as her words not coming out right. Then last week I had a phone call to say that she had fallen out of bed - more bumps and bruises!

Then this morning the phone rang. I was just about to go to the home to visit Mum, it was the Care Manager, Mum wasn't right, she said it was if the lights were on and no one was at home. So I quickly got into the car and drove the 10 miles to the home. When I got outside there was an ambulance in the gateway. My heart sank. Yes they had called it for Mum. She was lying on her bed and looked terrible and the paramedics weren't getting much of a response from her. She squeezed my hand though when I asked her to. They quickly got her into the ambulance and I went off with her and in A&E the Stroke Team were waiting. I was led off to the relatives room and then someone came who said Mum was off for a CT Scan. Within half an hour a doctor came back who sat down and told me that Mum had had a massive bleed in the brain and there was nothing they could do for her. She was then transferred up to the Stroke Unit where I have been sitting with her for about 7 hours. The staff have been very kind and have told me that Mum has been put on the Liverpool Pathway. I have come home now as there is no response at all from her, no hand squeezing, nothing. They have said it could be hours or days but the outcome will be the same. What a sad end and today was her 65th wedding anniversary (Dad died 18 years ago).

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Lynne, I'm so sorry. So sad when your mum was settling.

Having just been through the Pathway with John, I can tell you that your mum will receive all possible care.

I hope you don't mind if I say that I hope for both your sakes it doesn't last too long.

Love,

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Lynne, I am so sorry to hear this dreadful news about your Mum. Thinking of you.

Turbo

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hi Lynne. I'm so sorry to hear your terrible news. Such a shock for you. Rest assured, we'll all be here to support you through it all. Thinking of you.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
So very sorry to hear of your mother's plight. How poignant, too, the 65th anniversary day. I pray she will be as comfortable as possible, and that you can stay strong.
Even though she is not making visible responses, she may still know when you are there beside her.

thinking of you,
sleepless.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Lynne, you must be very tired after the day's exertions and your long vigil. I hope you will get some rest tonight in preparation for whatever the week will bring. Thinking of you and sharing your sadness. Deborah

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
My thoughts are with you and your mum tonight, take care of yourself and I hope your mum is comfy.
Kind regards, Jo

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear LynneR,

So sorry to hear the sad news about your mum - I do hope that she remains peaceful.

Best wishes xxx