The end of summer

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
What a strange year we are living through. I have been so grateful for the good weather and the chance to be out of doors and once lockdown eased meet friends occasionally and resume my regular walks with a friend in a similar situation. We are both fortunate that we can leave our OHs for a few hours although I never know what I am going back to. Yesterday with warm sunshine and 23 degrees he was wearing an Aran sweater and all the windows were closed.

But as winter looms and the virus strengthens its grip I’m sure I’m not alone in dreading the winter. It seems we will be in virtual lockdown - don’t tend to go the pub anyway and have only eaten out very selectively. So it’s going to be stuck at home - being lectured on things that he randomly remembers, very slowly - three words at a time. Not having a conversation, sorting the recycling that’s always in the wrong places, looking for things he has lost, cooking endless boring meals as the list of things he doesn’t”like” grows. As someone else said - dealing with this enormous 4 year old without the potential of a 4 year old. And not even a cuddle to make things better.

Can I I hibernate and wake up when this is all over? ( do I mean the pandemic or the incarceration with some man who used to be my husband and best friend? You choose!]

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Can I hibernate with you?
Ive just lost my rag with OH who has chronic constipation and wont take the Laxido ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's been a long 6 months since all this started in March right enough. So good to get out with friends for walks though, @Olliebeak, I would have gone under without those. My OH feels cold in warm weather and ends up with rashes because she has blankets over her while feeling hot to touch.
Sorry, off on one myself, but I do know what you mean. Best wishes for the next 6 months ahead.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I think Autumn has always been my favourite season. As Keats so well versed "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" - ah - the beginning of the cooler days with the earthy smells of damp soil and much greenery gently drawing its curtains for the winter towards a new beginning come the start of spring.
Autumn always holds such promise. Smokey bonfires, warm soup after seashore walks, that magic yet unearthly dull sound of bird cries in the morning fog. Cuddly jumpers being unpacked from their summer respite. Casseroles, warm bread, hot chocolate, gently stewed seasonal fruit. The occasional surprise unseasonal day as mother nature gives us a last blast of sunshine and warm air.
Autumn - my favourite time to get out there in the garden and dig, dig, dig. Cool enough to work - warm enough not to need many layers of clothing. And in the evening - maybe a firepit to sit by.
I wish my PWD could enjoy all these things as we used to but hey-ho ... I can still have my little moments of pleasure. :)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i like spring when things are coming alive again and promises of milder weather to come. my joints and i dont like the damp and the cold. new life is appearing with the flowers, daffodils etc and the lambs and calves being in born. new hope and different colours compared to the winter. getting all poetic.being free

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
This is the first time I have been anxious about the start of the autumn and the approach of winter. Usually I enjoy the winter nights, the varied weather, Christmas and the New Year, the bleakness soon to be followed by the first signs of spring. Autumn walks on crunchy leaves. Amazing sun sets, first chill winds, etc. We have the falling of the leaves, the dead of winter so that the joy of spring can visit us again.

Last night I heard the PM advising of new measures to last six months. I have pulled the garden together, cleaned the house, got together our “winter food box” in case of snow. Usually all done with mum helping or at least commenting. This year all done alone, mum thinking we are just moving into spring. Our conversations now mostly on safe subjects and repetitive. Nice cup of tea mum and here is your People’s Friend. Was it really only forty pence when you first got it, came out on Saturday not Wednesday, no your other children are not visiting due to this illness, oh I see what illness...... Tuck mum into bed and realise just how long and lonely the winter nights are going to be this year.

My concern is we get a hard winter weather wise. When we least need it is when it will arrive. Hope I am wrong. So I will take this opportunity to wish us all well. We cannot change the cards that have been dealt, the cruel nature of Dementia, the extra stresses and strains given to us by Covid. All we can do is to continue to be helpful and supportive of each other on this wonderful forum.