The end of David`s journey.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Jan, I am so glad everything went well, and I'm sure David would have felt very proud of his wife and family.
Thinking of you.

Jan xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It sounds as though you did David proud :).

I chose Cavelleria Rusticana for my dad's funeral - 2 years on and I can just about stop myself from hitting the 'skip' button on my iPod when it comes on, and enjoy the music again. It's a beautiful piece. 'Dear lord and father of mankind' is also probably my favourite hymn.

Be kind to yourself Jan, and don't expect too much from yourself.

xx

SunnyTikka

Jan 7, 2012
Jan, what lovely choices of music and hymns for David. I can imagine the service was beautiful.

I wish you strength for the times ahead. You have always been there for people on TP and you need to take some time for yourself to heal. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I received the following from Jan today. She is too modest to post it herself but I think it is a fitting tribute to David.
image002.gif

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
He was a great man!
Sylvia suggested I posted 'my tribute' which I gave at the funeral service.

You might wonder why I am able to stand here like this today. It is probably the very last time I can do anything for David and I owe him that.
I am not going to go over his whole life except to say he worked hard, loved life and adored his family. He was modest about his achievements and we are proud of what he has done. Even through the ravages of the last 12 years he has been strong and resilient and until very recently still managed a cheeky smile and a wink for friends.

I want to just give an insight into his attitude to life. When I first met him he held his diary and a piece of paper fell out on to the floor. I picked it up. The words by Stephen Grellet were written into his diary every year until he was unable to write any more.
I expect to pass through this world but once, any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to a fellow creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.’

He lived his life according to those words.
He never failed to help someone he knew needed assistance. I can recall many incidents of people coming to stay and ultimately becoming close friends. I have received many letters over the past week indicating how he influenced and inspired them in their work and future careers.

He was extremely kind and generous and after this prayer (I then quoted the prayer of St Francis) , which seems fitting for him, our daughters will share with you a few happy moments:

Its good to share with you all - thanks :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I expect to pass through this world but once, any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to a fellow creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.’

Thank you for posting your tribute. It shows not only your love, but your admiration and respect. Living according to the above quote, David deserved it.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Jan,

What an amazing person David was. I have copied the quote he wrote in his dairy, for the words touched me deeply. I would like to think I could be remembered that way too.

David already is. How wonderful.

xxxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Those were wonderful tributes Jan. I'm so touched reading them. I'm very glad that you are receiving so many letters about David, that's wonderful. I hope they bring you lots of comfort. Sending you hugs. xxxx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Only just seen this, thoughts are with you Jan for the days ahead.

((((hugs))))

Love

Mameeskye

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I've Just read the clipping from the paper, Jan, that Sylvia posted, and the words you read for David. You must be so immensely proud of him. What a life to look back on. You were blessed to share your life with him. I hope it helps comfort you to see in what high esteem he was held.
This must be a hard time for you Jan and I think you are an inspiration.
We are all here for you so please don't feel you have to post unless you need our support. Xxxx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Jan,
Your own tribute to David, and that in the newspaper clipping, are both beautiful.
Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Your tribute was lovely. The words David lived by are inspiring and I hope that many will have been inspired by David and continue in the path he blazed. Much love from us both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson