The empty chair

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
I've been reading about a technique known as the empty chair whereby you set opposite an empty chair and talk to your loved one about whatever comes to your mind. A bit like writing a letter i think.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
@Greyone, I think this is a wonderful idea if it works for you. I still talk to my Dad who died 30 years ago (but in my case, I do believe in life after death). Whatever brings you comfort is right for you.
Thank you so much for your post. I'm glad to know that you talk to your Dad after so long and I hope that there is no negative impact and that it comforts you as well.

I did give it a go yesterday and after the initial flood of tears actually found I had a good conversation for over half an hour. The one thing I had to admit was that I really did not have anything new to say and when I realised that she was able to reassure me that I had nothing to worry about and I felt that all was well. So I think I have started to say goodbye at least to all the negative stuff and feel I will be able to enjoy this weekend in some ways. Thanks again.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I used to talk to my aunt in the rhubarb patch at her bungalow after she died. It made me feel as though she was still there for me. Neighbours probably thought I was mad!!

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
my hubby died a year ago,I have his ashes at home where he wanted to be with me,I talk to him even telling him Liverpools football score, and still giving him birthday xmas and valentines card.I have photos of him in all the rooms , to me it makes it easier knowing in an odd way he,s still here, we all do what we need to make it easier when we have lost them,

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
I used to talk to my aunt in the rhubarb patch at her bungalow after she died. It made me feel as though she was still there for me. Neighbours probably thought I was mad!!
Well, I don't. Another good item to use photographs. But I know what you mean because I do exactly the same when I garden in what used to be HER garden. We both spent many happy hours together doing that. Thank you so much for that.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
my hubby died a year ago,I have his ashes at home where he wanted to be with me,I talk to him even telling him Liverpools football score, and still giving him birthday xmas and valentines card.I have photos of him in all the rooms , to me it makes it easier knowing in an odd way he,s still here, we all do what we need to make it easier when we have lost them,
I think what you have just said is very profound and you've hit the nail on the head. When you say "we all do what we need to make it easier when we have lost them". I think it is very important to let go and keep hold of them at the same time as you are doing. Thank you.