The effects of alcohol

Hilary

Apr 17, 2006
Oxfordshire
I'm beginning to worry about looking after my father when the time comes. Presently he likes a glass of wine or some beer with a meal - not always, but sometimes. Limited to amounts like this is it likely to have an adverse effect on his behaviour? I've never seen him drunk, and to the best of my knowledge he never has been, but I do wonder what the effects would be at a later stage.

He presently takes Aracept.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Hilary, am inclined to say "don't worry about tomorrow" but that would sound trite.

In my experience Lionel always drank, half bottle of wine with evening meal, never, ever saw him drunk. Was always very upfront about his drinking habits.

Although most medications say 'no alcohol' including EXELCON, which he has been on for four years, what are we trying to achieve here. Quantity or quality of life.

My Lionel enjoys a glass or two, funnily enough these days he only wants one glass.....I rest my case.

DEAL WITH IT WHEN THE TIME COMES, it may never crop up. Love

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Snap

Dear Hilary,
It was almost the same here: my husband really enjoyed a glass of wine with his evening meal, occasionally two, but he was never drunk. He also derived a great deal of pleasure from browsing in the wine section of the supermarket and choosing a special offer or something we hadn't tried before. One of his last remaining pleasures .....
Then came the prescription for Aricept, and I was concerned that he might refuse to take the medication if it meant abstaining from his glass of wine. I bought red grape juice, poured it out of sight, and although he questioned the taste several times, I managed to fob him off. After about a month I slowly re-introduced the wine, and was glad to see that there were no adverse side effects.
However, as time and AD has progressed, he does not seem to get any more enjoyment out of a glass of wine than a fruit juice.

Best wishes!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was surprised at mum care home when a lady was offered a tin of Guinness & at other times others people drinking a glass of wine.

At diner time I have seen them all get there medication

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
HiI agree with Connie. There is alot to Quality of life and if some wine or brandy makes their day, let them have it. I used to worry about my Mom drinking, and it does effect her somewhat but she has been doing it all her adult life and at this point it isn't going to change the outcome of this disease.
I have a little wine every so often but it gives them so much pleasure me to join them at happy hour. I pour a little wine in my glass and add diet seven up to dilute and stretch it. Makes me happy, makes them happy. I love the grape juice ploy, I might swith to it for me! They'll never know.
Take care.
Debbie

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
I ran the question of wine in the evening, past the Doctor the other day - not by asking if it was OK but by stating that each evening we sit in the garden and have a glass or two of wine and then finish the bottle over dinner - 'good' he said - 'sounds nice'.

One of the odd side effects Monique is experiencing, is that she has recently given up smoking completely from 20+ a day to zero and she wants less 'wine' drinks very slowly and not so much - Great for me!!!

I also go along with 'quality rather than 'quantity' of life.... What the hell - its only going to get worse so enjoy the best bit which is now!

Michael

SallyB

May 7, 2005
Hi ,

Dad used to smoke at least 20 a day and all of a sudden some years ago he just gave up. Didn't even finish the 400 I had put in his cupboard. I now realise that this was probably the onset of his illness. (If it is possible that he has been having problems for that long I am not sure if that is possible)

He also liked a drop of wine, although five years ago he was having it at lunch time! But he never got drunk and always enjoyed a small glass of whiskey. He won't really have either now, says they don't taste right.

His GP said everything in moderation when I asked her and I have to say I agree with what has been said previously about quality not quantity of life.

Sally

Hilary

Apr 17, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you - this helps me a lot as we're always told, aren't we, that alcohol and medication doesn't mix.

It's just one of the questions I thought I needed an answer to before saying yes, Dad can come and live with us when Jean dies or needs to go into hospice care. (I'm sure there will be a heck of a lot more. :confused: ) It seemed cruel to deprive him of some of the enjoyment of life when he will eventually have so little, it seems.

sophia

Apr 20, 2006
appetite stimulant

Hi Hilary,
Alcohol is an appetite stimulant! I work in a hospice, and there are always drinks trolleys in hospices for the patients, who are often on all sorts of drugs, and it is partly to enhance quality of life, and partly to increase appetite. So it goes round before lunch and dinner ( not breakfast though!) And as I sit here at the keyboard with a glass of wine I quite fancy a few more crisps.....xxx

Hilary

Apr 17, 2006
Oxfordshire
sophia said:
Hi Hilary,
Alcohol is an appetite stimulant! I work in a hospice, and there are always drinks trolleys in hospices for the patients, who are often on all sorts of drugs, and it is partly to enhance quality of life, and partly to increase appetite. So it goes round before lunch and dinner ( not breakfast though!) And as I sit here at the keyboard with a glass of wine I quite fancy a few more crisps.....xxx

I could pass you along some chips....just finished work and thought I would cook pasta carbonara. Was just about to put on the pasta when I thought 'that jar looks a bit bigger than normal for carbonara sauce....' Good job I checked; it was a Chicken Tonight sauce - same colour but perhaps not the same taste!

Now if only they could find an enjoyable appetite suppressant....

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
The care home Lionel goes to for respite serves sherry half an hour before lunch.

Wine with lunch and evening meal, or fruit juice if preferred. They do not seem too worried about mixing alcohol and medication.

No wonder Lionel does not mind going there.

daisymaid

Mar 7, 2006
lincoln uk
drinks

my mum had always been a drinker and a smoker never had milk in her coffee my how things change she hasnt smoked or drank alcohol for 13yrs but she now has milk in coffee, on her cereal, strange how things turn around

daisymaidxx

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
Been browesing mail on drinking wine i to enjoy good wine and am a social person i to take medication and dont have a problem so all things in moderation Dolly gee:)