The discovery of a gene linked to AZ diswase could lead to ...

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Margarita, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    My daughter showed me this last night in the metro

The discovery of a gene linked to Alzheimer’s disease could lead to new treatment , scientists said yesterday DNA samples from 6,000 volunteers showed that mutant versions of the SORL 1 gene were more common in people with late onset AZ than other people of the same age .Researchers Dr Richard Mayeux , from Columbia University Medical Centre in New York, said The finding opens new pathways to explore the cause as well as potential targets for the treatment of the disease.

I done a search and found this http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-01/cumc-ngu010807.php

I could not find anything about it on the Alzheimer’s society web page

2. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    I read to the bottom of that link and found this

Now I never new you could get it as early as 30!!! .

PS Opps about diswase:eek: , as you all know should read Disease ( e next to the w on key pad lol and I type to fast)

3. Sandy

Sandy Registered User

Mar 23, 2005
    Hi Margarita,

You might want to look at the coverage of this story on the BBC web site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6255731.stm

In this article there is a quote from Professor Clive Ballard, the director of research at the Alzheimer's Society, which reads:

"The study identifies a novel link between the plaques that develop in the brain of people with Alzheimer's disease and the SORL1 gene."

"Amyloid protein is at the core of the plaques that develop with Alzheimer's disease and is the popular target for research into Alzheimer's disease.

"This latest study is exciting because it suggests the SORL1 gene plays a significant role in the recycling and disposal of amyloid protein and late-onset Alzheimer's diseases.

"The results put the spotlight on an important new area for the development of drugs and treatment targets to tackle Alzheimer's disease."

The Society does have a section of its web site that covers latest news on the research front (and is definitely worth looking at on a regular basis), it's just not as up-to-date as the BBC News site:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Research/Research_in_the_news/index.htm

Take care,

Sandy

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Sandy and Margarita, Really interesting news. Too late for us, sadly, but hope for our grandchildren. Love Sylvia x

5. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Thanks Sandy , The BBC link is good leads on to other good Info on research for AZ .