The discovery of a gene linked to AZ diswase could lead to ...

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My daughter showed me this last night in the metro

The discovery of a gene linked to Alzheimer’s disease could lead to new treatment , scientists said yesterday DNA samples from 6,000 volunteers showed that mutant versions of the SORL 1 gene were more common in people with late onset AZ than other people of the same age .Researchers Dr Richard Mayeux , from Columbia University Medical Centre in New York, said The finding opens new pathways to explore the cause as well as potential targets for the treatment of the disease.

I done a search and found this http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-01/cumc-ngu010807.php

I could not find anything about it on the Alzheimer’s society web page

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I read to the bottom of that link and found this

Facts about Alzheimer's Disease
The early-onset form is rare and tends to affect those between the ages of 30-60. Most cases of early-onset are genetic, caused by a mutation of the APP gene. The late-onset form is much more common -- accounts for 90 percent of all cases of Alzheimer's -- and tends to affect those aged 65 and older. With aging baby boomers, the prevalence of late-onset Alzheimer's is expected to double in the next 25 years as the population ages

Now I never new you could get it as early as 30!!! .

PS Opps about diswase:eek: , as you all know should read Disease ( e next to the w on key pad lol and I type to fast)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Margarita,

You might want to look at the coverage of this story on the BBC web site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6255731.stm

In this article there is a quote from Professor Clive Ballard, the director of research at the Alzheimer's Society, which reads:

"The study identifies a novel link between the plaques that develop in the brain of people with Alzheimer's disease and the SORL1 gene."

"Amyloid protein is at the core of the plaques that develop with Alzheimer's disease and is the popular target for research into Alzheimer's disease.

"This latest study is exciting because it suggests the SORL1 gene plays a significant role in the recycling and disposal of amyloid protein and late-onset Alzheimer's diseases.

"The results put the spotlight on an important new area for the development of drugs and treatment targets to tackle Alzheimer's disease."

The Society does have a section of its web site that covers latest news on the research front (and is definitely worth looking at on a regular basis), it's just not as up-to-date as the BBC News site:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Research/Research_in_the_news/index.htm

Take care,

Sandy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Sandy and Margarita, Really interesting news. Too late for us, sadly, but hope for our grandchildren. Love Sylvia x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet