The deviousness of dementia (Dasha Kiper - the Guardian)

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
http://gu.com/p/4ddmm/sbl

Evening All,

I haven't posted for a while. Will update you on my sibling drama soon!

I read the attached today. It struck a chord and I found it strangely comforting With much similarities. I hope you do too. It's long so get a cup of tea! Xx

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Thanks for the link, I've read it and its so true, I am going to read it again properly tomorrow, its late now!

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
What a fascinating read. Poignant and recognizable with humour. I'm going to ask my brother to read it as a personal favour to me. Gold dust!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
What a good article, glad you posted the link.
The line that stood out for me & I try my very best with this but this is where my compassionate communication goes out of the window....

Even those who ought to know better-the caregivers who deal with dementia on a daily basis-often fail to remember that their patients forget.

SitsThere

Jan 7, 2013
This is brilliant. I am, in fact, Sam in this story. Still engaging with my mother in those fights, still feeling hurt because she forgets she's seen me, still wasting our precious time together on my perception of a relationship which is actually not there any more. Thanks for posting this; it has helped me this morning when things were not looking supportable.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Have read it now a couple of times, it really describes the feelings of hope on a good day, I get so disappointed when the inevitable sundowning returns and I feel robbed really. What a strange and upsetting disease for all involved.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
An exceptionally good article. Thank-you for posting the link. But how sad it is that hope can be described as the enemy.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
This is brilliant. I am, in fact, Sam in this story. Still engaging with my mother in those fights, still feeling hurt because she forgets she's seen me, still wasting our precious time together on my perception of a relationship which is actually not there any more. Thanks for posting this; it has helped me this morning when things were not looking supportable.

I'm Sam too x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I thought it was a powerful and well-written article.

I don't really agree with her about the hope. I need it in my life even though it is regularly dashed.