1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

The deviousness of dementia (Dasha Kiper - the Guardian)

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Adcat, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Adcat

Adcat Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    http://gu.com/p/4ddmm/sbl

Evening All,

I haven't posted for a while. Will update you on my sibling drama soon!

I read the attached today. It struck a chord and I found it strangely comforting With much similarities. I hope you do too. It's long so get a cup of tea! Xx

2. mrs mcgonnagal

mrs mcgonnagal Registered User

May 9, 2015
    Thanks for the link, I've read it and its so true, I am going to read it again properly tomorrow, its late now!

3. hvml

hvml Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    North Cornwall
    What a fascinating read. Poignant and recognizable with humour. I'm going to ask my brother to read it as a personal favour to me. Gold dust!

4. lizzybean

lizzybean Registered User

Feb 3, 2014
    Lancashire
    What a good article, glad you posted the link.
    The line that stood out for me & I try my very best with this but this is where my compassionate communication goes out of the window....

Even those who ought to know better-the caregivers who deal with dementia on a daily basis-often fail to remember that their patients forget.

5. SitsThere

SitsThere Registered User

Jan 7, 2013
    This is brilliant. I am, in fact, Sam in this story. Still engaging with my mother in those fights, still feeling hurt because she forgets she's seen me, still wasting our precious time together on my perception of a relationship which is actually not there any more. Thanks for posting this; it has helped me this morning when things were not looking supportable.

6. mrs mcgonnagal

mrs mcgonnagal Registered User

May 9, 2015
    Have read it now a couple of times, it really describes the feelings of hope on a good day, I get so disappointed when the inevitable sundowning returns and I feel robbed really. What a strange and upsetting disease for all involved.

7. gringo

gringo Registered User

Feb 1, 2012
    UK.
    An exceptionally good article. Thank-you for posting the link. But how sad it is that hope can be described as the enemy.

8. Julia B

Julia B Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    Thank you, brilliantly put, hope versus reality, how sad and sweet

9. Jill-88

Jill-88 Registered User

Oct 21, 2015
    This was a very eye-opening article. Thank you.

10. Adcat

Adcat Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    I'm Sam too x

11. Mark_W

Mark_W Volunteer Moderator

Sep 28, 2015
    London
    Thanks for posting, that was a good thoughtful read.

12. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    I thought it was a powerful and well-written article.

I don't really agree with her about the hope. I need it in my life even though it is regularly dashed.

13. SitsThere

SitsThere Registered User

Jan 7, 2013
    x

14. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    I've just shared this on my G+ page.

15. 1mindy

1mindy Registered User

Jul 21, 2015
    Female
    Shropshire
    Thank-you for posting this. It clarified a few things for me. Yes in a way very comforting.

16. Jesskle66

Jesskle66 Registered User

Jul 5, 2014
    An excellent article. The most shocking, true sentence for me was 'Hope is the enemy'.

17. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    For me also.