The day I've been dreading

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I wrote on TP in December that Mum was on a big downward spiral, and various actions were being taken by the CH for End of Life care. I didn't think she would make it to her 91st birthday and Christmas - but somehow she did. The New Year came and she rallied - she still needed a lot of care, but we had very happy visits, she joined in some of the activities and discovered a passion for mango smoothies!

Last Friday I noticed she had a bit of a cough, on Sunday my daughter noticed it too, on Monday it was much worse and she was really not herself and the CH said she would see the GP. We thought it was a chest infection as everyone seems to have had or has a cough at present. Yesterday I had to be 120 miles away for the whole day and evening. 5 mins from my first appointment and the CH rang. The diagnosis was pneumonia and evidently Mum was in a poor way but 'holding her own'. We went to the first appointment and then drove as swiftly as possible to the CH. My poor Mum, she was so agitated, her eyes closed, reaching out to something we could not see and with the most hideous cough. She had started antibiotics, but I had already stated DNR and no hospitalisation. My daughter and I stayed with her for about 4 hours, and when she seemed to be calmer and more peaceful, we came home. As I write this I am about to ring the CH for an update and get ready to go in again. This has happened so quickly.
The CH have been absolutely outstanding. The love, care and dedication both to Mum and ourselves has been incredible.
I love my Mum so much, but I want this awful, upsetting and degrading disease to be over for her now. It's over 6 years since she was diagnosed.
I don't know what today will bring, I just want to continue to do the best I can for her and hope she is not suffering and will soon be with my Dad.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I wrote on TP in December that Mum was on a big downward spiral, and various actions were being taken by the CH for End of Life care. I didn't think she would make it to her 91st birthday and Christmas - but somehow she did. The New Year came and she rallied - she still needed a lot of care, but we had very happy visits, she joined in some of the activities and discovered a passion for mango smoothies!

Last Friday I noticed she had a bit of a cough, on Sunday my daughter noticed it too, on Monday it was much worse and she was really not herself and the CH said she would see the GP. We thought it was a chest infection as everyone seems to have had or has a cough at present. Yesterday I had to be 120 miles away for the whole day and evening. 5 mins from my first appointment and the CH rang. The diagnosis was pneumonia and evidently Mum was in a poor way but 'holding her own'. We went to the first appointment and then drove as swiftly as possible to the CH. My poor Mum, she was so agitated, her eyes closed, reaching out to something we could not see and with the most hideous cough. She had started antibiotics, but I had already stated DNR and no hospitalisation. My daughter and I stayed with her for about 4 hours, and when she seemed to be calmer and more peaceful, we came home. As I write this I am about to ring the CH for an update and get ready to go in again. This has happened so quickly.
The CH have been absolutely outstanding. The love, care and dedication both to Mum and ourselves has been incredible.
I love my Mum so much, but I want this awful, upsetting and degrading disease to be over for her now. It's over 6 years since she was diagnosed.
I don't know what today will bring, I just want to continue to do the best I can for her and hope she is not suffering and will soon be with my Dad.
So sorry to hear this .Sending ((hugs))).Please keep us updated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, Its heartbreaking when you suddenly realise that they have reached this stage, however much you know that it is coming.

Holding your virtual hand
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

CWR

Mar 17, 2019

Everyone in the TP family will be thinking of you at this terrible time. It's strange, you love your mother, but you don't want this to go on. Keep us updated.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Thank you all for your kind and loving replies. I am currently sat at Mums side and she is struggling so much it is pitiful to watch and breaking me up inside whilst trying to be strong. A Senior member from the CH Head Office whom I know has just been in. She said ‘this is what the end of dementia looks like’ . So sad. CH continue to be absolutely fantastic.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
So sad for you but it is good she is surrounded bu so much care. Thinking of you in my thoughts and prayer, sending a big hug and love. Xxx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you all for your kind and loving replies. I am currently sat at Mums side and she is struggling so much it is pitiful to watch and breaking me up inside whilst trying to be strong. A Senior member from the CH Head Office whom I know has just been in. She said ‘this is what the end of dementia looks like’ . So sad. CH continue to be absolutely fantastic.
Sending you love & (((hugs)))
How lovely the CH sounds xx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sad to be reading this, keeping you all in our thoughts. Take care x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti