The Chescaster Chronicles: Sibling Visits

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Chesca, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Gemini
    sounds about right to me
    Pretty typical of relatives and friends who vanish overnight,but what we have left are caring relatives and friends who needs the others?
    Norman

2. gemini

gemini Registered User

Sep 8, 2003
    Nottingham
    #22 gemini, Oct 21, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
    Don't drink and e mail

PS to my earlier post:
    I couldn't help noticing that some of you lovely folks enjoy the odd tipple or two, so here is a cautionary tale about the perils of drinking and e mailing whilst angry.

One evening, after receiving no replies from said Brother in law to numerous e mails regarding his mothers well being , my husband and I were becoming increasingly annoyed by his lack of response so decided to try again.. Unfortunately we had already 'blown the froth off' one or two pints of the amber nectar.... Out of sheer frustration we addressed our e mail to Dear 'W****r fully intending to go back to the start and change it before sending it..... but.... you've guessed it.... After several more 'tipples' we forgot.... We didn't realise until the next day... Strange thing was ... he actually replied to that one.... can't think what got his attention. I still have a good chuckle about that incident from time to time.

Regards
    Gemini

3. Chesca

Chesca Guest

Close Encounters of the Sibling Kind

Well! I can't begin to tell you.........

They came, they saw they wanted and they shopped. So girls and boys, all you organised little forward planning bods in the Xmas shopping stakes, save yourselves some time and energy. You heard it here first. There ain't nothing left to buy in the shops. I once overheard a woman in Tesco, looking into an empty freezer above which there was an advert for Chickens: buy 9 get 7 free or somesuch: 'Would ya just look at all them chickens, there's not one left!' There wouldn't be if the Duchess and Countess were in town!

Whilst considering myself moderately well-travelled, perhaps someone could advise if John Lewis stop trading just south of Watford. Because for the life of me I cannot understand why somebody would need to come this far oop north just to buy a pair of shoes in John Lewis. Just another of life's little mysteries, a bit like the fresh dates the Duchess buys and leaves behind whenever her path crosses, or the sewing machine which arrived with the luggage and left in similar mode without a pedal being pedalled.

In what amounted to a royal visit of four and a half days they managed to fit in two visits to Mum in the nursing home. Whilst accepting that they had also come to visit Dabbles who is not a well bunny in ways other than AD, he himself only caught a fleeting glimpse as the tornados consumer swept in and out swathed in packaging that would see Mr Beckham gripping his six pack in envy. Granted, some of these purchases were to fulfill the aircraft hanger-like kitchen concept of the Duchess and some presents for Mum but I do have to say that nobody, and I mean nobody including me on a 24 hour bender on TP, you and all your relatives having won the lottery on new year's eve, could drink that much wine in a couple of days. Trust me, I tried. It can't be done.

And that was only on the Thursday night! On Friday morning I was advised by phone that my father had had a 'funny turn' at breakfast and, expecting to hear that his 'turn' had been to throw them out to the nearest flop house, was a little non-plussed to hear that every amateur quack from the D&C to Mistress Ever Doom - the home help - had diagnosed a mini-stroke. The fact that he had contracted a vicious chest infection that was laying him very low seemed to escape notice.

By Monday morning as preparation were underway for the Duchess to flee back to her Duke and the Countess to return to her counting, the Dabbles was as sick as an ocean-going frog and confined to bed and the doctor called for. And I was called. Because they HAD to get home. Yes, I know. Well, what do you do? You say that of course you understand, jobs to get home to, lives to get on with yada yada and, of course, if it's anything serious you'll let them know immediately - the unspoken Why? heavily pregnant.

So with the traditional family chant of 'we hate leaving you with all this, again', a two finger salute and a firmly closed door behind me I set about cleaning Dad's house. The walls of his house contracted with relief and I contracted apoplexy at the sight of the plastic carrier bag fest taking place in a kitchen cupboard!

On returning home so frazzled was I to find that the key no longer fitted in the door, My concern was all the more as we had some nights earlier had to break in after both forgetting our keys and the lock had been replaced. So preoccupied was I with the aforementioned events that it took some time to realise that I was actually trying to enter my neighbour's home. Fortunately, being aware of my situation, she was very understanding and with a knowing look added rhetorically 'Sibling visit'. She had not called the police!

With the promise of venting my spleen on TP foremost in my addled brain, I set about the task with gusto. My PC had also developed an infection but not of the chest kind. No, it had a worm. As we have no pets, there was no recourse to the pet medicine cabinet for worming preparations. So the PC crashed, in more ways than one, and until now I have been unable to use it or receive emails. Which, under the circumstances, is perhaps not a bad thing! and is why I am now boring the bits off your bobs!

The apoplexy has now transmuted into a chest infection and I have taken to my bed with two crates of the finest Burgundy - well, they won't miss them and I'll deny everything - and a photograph of Mr Beckham's six pack.

The one beautiful but very tearful moment: last night Mum was a little more coherent during my visit and actually smiled, then she gently touched my face with her hand and said 'you are lovely' and it broke what's left of my heart into little bits.

There was another beautiful moment just before the PC crashed: Bruce had posted a poem which moved me to tears, yet again.

Toodle pip
    Chesca

4. Chesca

Chesca Guest

Gemini! I have to say I think what you did to your brother-in-law was disgusting! It's almost as disgusting as somebody not a million miles away from this screen, who shall remain nameless, spending half an hour on the phone to united utilities pretending to be her own very thick daughter! They were chasing up a paid 'unpaid bill' at 9.00 at night. Serves 'em right for phoning me when I'm relaxing with a toot!

Chesca

5. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Chesca

Sorry to hear of your sibling and PC problems. Hope the PC at least is okay now. Do you have anti-virus stuff on the PC? If not, I'd definitely recommend it. Symantec is what I use both for anti virus and the firewall.

Sorry, yet not sorry about the poem and its effects. It always affects me as well!

Nice to see you posting again!!!

6. Chesca

Chesca Guest

Hi Bruce

I'd arrived home on the worst of rainy days after discovering an elderly lying in the road having tripped and badly injured her shoulder. It took about 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive even though they had advised us not to move her! So me and a few other ladies took off our coats to cover her and held brollies to try to keep her warm and dry. She looked so vulnerable and fragile and was alone - her husband had died three months earlier. It made me feel so sad and then I read: I only know that summer once sang in me.....and here I go again. Tissues!

As for the PC - which by now no longer stands for what you may think it should! I'll tell you what I have: I have Macfee virus scanner - not the firewall, and Spybot which found the worm. Do I need to have something else running? Having fixed things so far so good, am wary about what to do next.

Chesca

7. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Gemini,

A former friend of mine drinks pretty heavily and after a few she used to get into 'drink and dial' mode, with some pretty disasterous consequences. On a couple of occasions when I stayed with her it became acutely embarrassing. I felt that I had to speak to her in the morning and suggest that this wasn't a good idea. She hasn't spoken to me since, but I doubt that she has many friends left either!

Jude

8. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Chesca

if this was the first time your computer had been hit, then I'd await the next time before reconsidering the protection you have. It is always possible to get some form of infection, no matter what.

I assume your virus scanner continually updates its virus definitions?

I put in the firewall when I installed broadband.

Thus far I have been okay, though previously I had to move ISPs and e-mail addresses because I was not only being flooded with spam, but my e-mail address had been 'stolen' and used for sending spam. Some days I had 1,500 rejected spam messages returned to me. One person contacted me to say they would report me to the US authorities if I continued to spam her. I replied and found she was a single mother living in a log cabin in Wisconsin. [she had built the cabin herself]. We had some amusing conversations for a while.

Good luck!

9. gemini

gemini Registered User

Sep 8, 2003
    Nottingham
    Hi Chesca,

Sorry to hear you've picked up this dreaded chest infection that seems to be going around. We've all had it ourselves. Hope you feel better very soon. Mum in law swears by red wine as a cure for everything.... (even AD???) ... ironically, she is the only one of us that has escaped the infection, which is a blessing as it has been very nasty.

As for my behaviour regarding a certain person... I'm ashamed to say that thats nothing compared to some of the visions I've had regarding what I'd like to do to him. It makes me feel very sad that if it wasn't for her diagnosis and her subsequent move up here to us, we would never of uncovered just how much he has bullied and manipulated her over the years. So much so that she has actually made me promise that I will never let him use her or live with her again. A promise I fully intend to keep, even though I know that when the time comes, she will probably welcome him with open arms.... providing of course that she can still remember him at all.

Get Well Soon
    Love
    Gemini

10. Chesca

Chesca Guest

Dear Bruce

Thanks for the information. Have printed it off and pinned it prominently to the fore. It was an awful mess to sort out, given that I live with a lunatic who decided to take the whole thing apart to replace a drive and for a short time we thought we needed a new one. He actually went to buy one and fortunately had left it too late. I say fortunate, because it transpired the said loon had not replaced a little dooda properly. I shouldn't be telling you this as it must make you wince - you being a computer chappie (as my boss used to call your profession).

If it wasn't for the daughter bit, I'd have sworn you were talking about Jude - the lady from Wisconsin, that is. It's the type of thing she'd do and before you know it a whole town would have sprung from nowhere!

Thanks once again
    Chesca

11. gemini

gemini Registered User

Sep 8, 2003
    Nottingham
    #31 gemini, Oct 27, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
    Jude

We did learn our lesson that evening... Trouble is he's so blooming arrogant that you have to choose your words so carefully, otherwise his reply will be more about lessons in gramma etc than replying to the issue we were raising. Unfortunately on this occasion, we were so angry we'd had a drink to calm ourselves down and hadn't realised how long it had taken. once again....OOPPPSS!!!!

On a lighter note, I also have a freind who often 'drinks and dials'. Usually I'm the one she calls. One evening she phoned about 11.30pm, obviously the worse for drink and she would not shut up... I literally could not get a word in. At one point I even went to the loo and made myself a cup of tea, and when i came back, she was still nattering away completely oblivious that i hadn't even been on the other end of the phone for a good 10 mins.

Love
    Gemini

12. Jude

Jude Registered User

Well, a hotel at least........! Fortunately for everyone, I have absolutely no desire to live in the USA.

Jude