The care home seems good but someone has told me ....

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by northumbrian_k, Jun 10, 2019.

1. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    My wife's sister visited her at her residential care home one day last week. She telephoned me last night and said that things seemed to be going well, my wife was in quite a good mood and the staff seemed caring.

She then went on to say that 'someone' had told her that one home in the vicinity is good but another one is not. I suggested that she should not listen to uninformed people, observe for herself, and read the Care Quality Commission report, which was good all round. I wasn’t quite that brutal but that is the gist of what I said. Such 'helpful' comments I can do without.

2. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I so sympathize. Why people believe what someone says instead of the evidence in front of their own eyes has always boggled my mind.

3. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    I hear an enormous amount of discussion about such things now that John has carers. They are on the move and collecting good and bad stuff from other carers and clients. What I do is listen and ooh and ahhh and then just observe things for myself. One thing that makes me laugh is that I tell them correctly how good the care home is where John goes for respite and then a few weeks later they are telling me having forgotten where they got the information!

Your wife is doing fine NK.

4. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    I dropped off a box of family photos at my wife's sister's house today She was full of praise for my wife's care home, the staff, cleanliness, food quality and overall feel. But then she repeated the same nonsense about one of the care homes in the village having a poor reputation. I would bet that the information quoted came from someone who has never even visited a care home ...

5. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Its like bloomin' Chinese Whispers, isnt it?

Take no notice