The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hi @jennifer1967
I am walking Pooch a few times a day, although it’s more of a waddle :rolleyes::oops: Hoovering .. I tried, but won’t do that for a while (a friend is going to help)
I’ve been told I need to “wiggle” :p .. the physio had be in giggles as he demonstrated
Sorry to hear about your back and that you ended up in A&E.
I have slipped discs in my lower back and my physio said hoovering was one of the worst things to do. However he didn’t offer to come and do it for me :(
I hope the pain recedes quickly although it does act as a reminder to take it a bit easier

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hi @Sam Luvit - I've been OK, just very fed up. Not having a car, I am reliant on public transport and have been reluctant to use it during the past months. I have now been doubly vaccinated so I may venture out soon!

I am not sure where you are located now - anywhere near Essex? It would be nice, situation permitting, if we could have that meet-up in the summer.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Bikerbeth

Yeah, A&E is not my favourite place, possibly my first time there for me!! More than happy for it to be my last

A few months ago, I saw one of those robotic hoover thingys (round thing that pops itself off & hoovers at times you set it for), I’m beginning to wish I’d bought one. Do you know anyone that has one and if they are any good? Although from the uTube videos of cats sitting on them as them trundle round the carpets … Pooch will either try it (and fall off) or chase it :eek:

I’m considering getting the Wii Fit out and trying some gentle yoga, it helped the last time and if I’m sensible, it might help this time

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m with you on the public transport @nita, big brother uses it and is full of stories about people removing masks (if they even wear them), as soon as they are sat down. Needless to say, I’m helping out as much as I’m able to.

I’m also double vaccinated, but I’m very wary when out and do demand my six foot. I rather shocked another shopper at the tills yesterday. Having asked politely if he would move back, which he didn’t, I moved my trolley between us and forced the issue. The cashier then spotted my “Care” badge and quickly adjusted her mask.

I’m a bit further south, but Essex isn’t too far, especially if I can arrange a sleepover with family. Roll on the summer, although we are nearly in June and it’s doing nothing but raining :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I know it’s silly, but I’m super proud of myself for figuring out an IT question all on my lonesome :rolleyes: Normally I ask big brother, but he’s busy with work at last and I don’t want to add any stress

Big brother gave me a Kindle, I’m more a book reader, but I can see the advantages of not needing to allow for 10-14 books in my luggage allowance, so I’ve been trying it out.

Anyway. I tend to read series, which are easy to sort into order on a bookshelf, but not so much on the Kindle

I found an article about sending a Word document to Kindle and set about trying to figure it all out.

So, I’ve created “collections” for each series :) Then I’ve typed up the series in order in Word. (Sad person that I am, even added if I have purchased or still need to purchase). I’ve found my Kindle email address and added my safe to send from email address to Kindle

Finally. emailed the Word document to the Kindle and added it to the right Collection

Voila

???

golfer38

Aug 7, 2016
I know it’s silly, but I’m super proud of myself for figuring out an IT question all on my lonesome :rolleyes: Normally I ask big brother, but he’s busy with work at last and I don’t want to add any stress

Big brother gave me a Kindle, I’m more a book reader, but I can see the advantages of not needing to allow for 10-14 books in my luggage allowance, so I’ve been trying it out.

Anyway. I tend to read series, which are easy to sort into order on a bookshelf, but not so much on the Kindle

I found an article about sending a Word document to Kindle and set about trying to figure it all out.

So, I’ve created “collections” for each series :) Then I’ve typed up the series in order in Word. (Sad person that I am, even added if I have purchased or still need to purchase). I’ve found my Kindle email address and added my safe to send from email address to Kindle

Finally. emailed the Word document to the Kindle and added it to the right Collection

Voila

???
Well done

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Sometimes Sam it’s the little daft things that gives us satisfaction......well done, I’m all for everything that makes life easier.

Glad that your settled in your new home.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, definitely well done.
Im the same as you - prefer to read real books, but have a kindle and have quite a few books downloaded onto it. Id like to arrange them properly into series, or by author (or even by genre), but dont know how
I couldnt do what you have done - I dont even really understand what you have done...........

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @DianeW

I’ve been frustrated with the Kindle, trying to find a particular book, or which is next in the series, so much so, that despite knowing it’s in there somewhere, I’ve picked a copy up in a charity shop :rolleyes: , not that that’s been possible for the last year

Finally finding out you can have a collection, how to do that and how to have an “Index” of what’s in the collection has been great. I do like to be organised … not that I always manage it ?

Loving the new home, peaceful, safe and friendly. Can’t ask for more. Hope you are keeping well.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @canary

Hope you are keeping well, I’ve not read any posts since I crashed & burned with mum, so I don’t know where you are at with things , but hope you are managing as best you can

The Kindle - Sam’s “How To” notes
The three vertical dots are the menu (mine are top right of the screen)

To find out what version you have - Menu - Settings - Help & User Guide - Get Started - Welcome to your Kindle “name” (mine is a Paperwhite)

To sort by author - Home - Your Library - Sort - Author

To find a particular author ( when sorted as above) - touch on the page numbers, bottom right (eg 1 of 150). You can either Go To ”page” or “author starting with”. Type in the surname of the author you want, (eg Baldacci) and it will take you to the first page with that author on

Baldacci has about seven series and stand alone books. I get mixed up as to which book is in which series, so I have them on a shelf organised by series. I wanted the same on the Kindle, they call it “collection”

Home - Menu - Create New Collection -staying with Baldacci, create a collection and name it Baldacci - Amos Decker - Ok
Do not be tempted to pick from the list that comes up … you will be there forever
Home - Your Library - Filter - Collections (you then need to click away from the drop down for Kindle to sort)
Select the collection you want to add to - Baldacci Amos Decker - Menu - Add/Remove Items - Click “page” - Authors starting with - Baldacci - Go - Tick each one in that series - Done

To view your collections - Home - Your Library - Sort - Collection

The list of collections will appear, there will be a number at the bottom right of each icon, this is the number of books & documents in that collection

Bet you wish you hadn’t asked now ?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
wow, thank you Sam. When I get a quiet moment I will try that out ?

OH has, of course, progressed. He now needs carers to help him wash/shower and dress. He has also lost a fair bit of mobility, the sight in his left eye and almost all his hearing, and he has urine retention so has a catheter. Im glad I managed to get to the meet-ups in Tonbridge Wells when I did, because I wouldnt be able to leave him for that long any more. We still dont have a diagnosis, by the way.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im with you both about books, the touch, feel, smell. i have 4 book cases groaning under the weight of my books reading to read. i like looking at them and it calms me down after a bad day.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
. We still dont have a diagnosis, by the way.
You are very welcome @canary I still pick up a book, but I’m trying to swop my buying to the Kindle due to space & storage issues. Big brother told me about BookBub ( www.bookbub.com ) , you can select genre, author etc and you get an email each day with offers. Some of the ”free” ones are rubbish, but you do get heavily discounted or free 24 hour offers too.

I’m sorry about the progression, but it’s good you’ve managed to get carers in, I read that you introduced things slowly, it’s still a fight for each “cleaner”, but much easier than trying to suddenly introduce carers, at least that’s what I think from my experience and what I’ve read

I tried pushing mums GP about what stage she was at … his response was … “what difference does it make, she’s still dying”

I think we as the Carer at the coal face, seeing the reality, have more of an idea of the true diagnosis than any GP … “Hostess mode” has a lot to answer for when fighting the medical professionals for answers :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
TBH @Spamar I prefer the whole experience of holding a book, flicking back a few pages and scanning if I lose the thread etc, but I’ve got to downsize my space requirements. Travelling with luggage restrictions takes some planning … last time I had a book in each pocket and one in my hand (3), then another three in hand luggage and five in the case :eek: :eek: I read them all and picked up another five or six around the pool. My holiday buddy was laughing at the bookshelf in the room

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
im with you both about books, the touch, feel, smell. i have 4 book cases groaning under the weight of my books reading to read. i like looking at them and it calms me down after a bad day.
There is something calming about looking at a sea of books and knowing that one day, you will curl up reading them …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson