The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The park is peaceful @DianeW, which is just what I need. I know it’s been a good move as for the first time in several months, my Fitbit has rated my sleep.

I once worked for someone who said “the day you feel like you are going to work, is the day you should look for another job”. I honestly don’t feel like I go to work, I know that makes me very lucky

I should have sorted the inside out by spring ? The garden needs to be enclosed so Pooch can go out without me needing to go with him. I’m looking forward to being able to sit out the back and feel like I’m in the middle of nowhere.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I would try and get the garden enclosed ASAP if I were you, then at least pooch can toddle out there if he wants to if it’s a day the door can be open for him for a bit....

It will be lovely for you and it will be lovely to put your feet up and chill in your new home once everything is unpacked...I can’t really settle until the unpacking and cleaning is done when I move somewhere new....but that’s just me.

It’s important to enjoy your job, I’m lucky I do really enjoy mine and the people I work with too, although we have been at home since March and I think we will remain so, maybe going in only for staff meetings when it’s safe?

I miss my colleges but prefer home working.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Originally the focus was to enclose the garden ... but I’ve put a stake outside the door with a long lead and Pooch gets hooked on that. He can go a fair distance, in and out, up and down the decking. It keeps him out from under my feet while I’m filling up the garden shed @DianeW ?

Much as I wouId love to get everything in and sorted, I’ve not been able to get any time off, so I’m collecting a car load at a time, cleaning everything and then finding homes for things. It means I’m not leaving Pooch surrounded by boxes for a few hours while I toddle off to work. Boxes unnerve him. :rolleyes:

@Woo2 will be pleased to hear I found a box that says it has an iron in ... it’s on a shelf in the spare room ... I’ve not opened it. The ironing board is still safely in the garage ;)

This “grab the nearest box” method is interesting. I now have champagne glasses and spare duvets, but I’ve not found the stand for the TV, tumblers or the canteen of decent cutlery. As for the basics like a draining rack or heavy vase (a friend bought me some beautiful flowers I’ve had to stick in a waste paper bin), these have eluded me so far. I’m still hunting for the kettle .. but the camping kettle will do for now ?

The slow unpack is forcing me to think about what I want, rather than running out and spending a small fortune on things that I might find later.

If anyone knows of the best way to dye fleece throws, please let me know. I have several large ones that I want to change from beige to either slate grey or possibly black. I’m a total novice.

I’ve unearthed a number of massive cushions 24 x 24, I’m going to make cover slips so I can add colour to the lounge area. The sewing machine is going to take a fair bashing this month. I’ve found throws for a fiver that will make the front of two cushion covers ... bargain ?

I’m off to take big brother fishing, the dry weather meant he was unable to go fir a month, he must be the only person who was praying for rain. This is the first time the Lane has been open and he’s desperate to go, bless him ?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
he must be the only person who was praying for rain.

When I used to race canoe slalom and white water racing (another canoe discipline), I often prayed for rain, canoeing on low level water was boring, left rocks which could damage boats, whereas high water was yeeha and suited my skills but relative lack of fitness (for the level I raced at).

And in winter much more fun to play on big water.

( I might not have found it but have you still got poppet as well - or have you sold with the intention of buying another one later?)

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Dylon do Machine or hand wash in dyes. Try their website. I think a lot of the big supermarkets do usually stock the black ones. I think the website also provides stockists - dunhelm, hobby craft etc

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I think they really need a hot wash to set colour , but I could be wrong ,I have done jeans in the past successfully . I’m so glad to hear you found the iron , really that would of been one of the first things to be unpacked here ? Why is it in a shelf in the spare room ?! I bet it’s gathering dust ! I am envious really , I am a slave to the iron .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im not sure that a fleece would take the dye. It works best on natural fibres, not so well on man-made fibres, and some do not take the dye at all. You can but try.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I had a disaster trying to dye something years ago, the main fabric took the dye to some degree but the stitching didn’t....it looked a bug —er......and made such a mess, never again!!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I wish I had the courage to try white water racing @jugglingmum. I do admire your zest for life

This week I have Poppet. She’s going up for sale as I won’t have the option to use her for at least a year. If I sell her now, I can save the expense of tax, insurance etc, I may buy another, but I don't know. Like everyone, I’m unsure of what next year will be like ... so I’m flexible on what I will do.

For now, I’m just settling into living in a slightly more luxurious field ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I knew about Dylon and have learnt about a few more .. I’m nervous so want personal recommendations @Bikerbeth

A friend has dyed her leather sofa and it’s worked really well. I know of others that have had a disaster. Apparently that is all about cleaning properly before starting ?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I wish I had the courage to try white water racing @jugglingmum. I do admire your zest for life

I started canoe slalom when I was 14, white water/river racing is a similar discipline, just longer boats which go over rapids in a straight line, but needs same technical reading of the water, and skills to keep the boat in the right direction instinctively. You don't really think about it when you are that young and going with friends, I had always skied and water skied and both my parents did adrenaline sports as well.

It's a shame you have to sell Poppet, but the market is very buoyant at the moment, with people trying to get covid safe holidays, so you should get a good price. Hopefully you'll be able to get another campervan or motorhome in the nearish future and go on your travels.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I knew about Dylon and have learnt about a few more .. I’m nervous so want personal recommendations @Bikerbeth

A friend has dyed her leather sofa and it’s worked really well. I know of others that have had a disaster. Apparently that is all about cleaning properly before starting ?
I have used it to redye black jeans and it worked. I also used it on a wool cardigan so maybe as Canary says maybe not so good on man made fibres.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thanks to @nitram I now know you need to wash to remove any conditioner, add vinegar and a hot wash.

The iron was in my line of sight while clearing a section of the garage, I thought of you @Woo2 and put it in the car ;) It’s comfortable on the shelf gathering more dust. I could see the ironing board, but regrettably could not reach it ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve sailed, water skied and scuba dived, anything to do with water, I love it. I tried canoeing when I was 16, but for some reason, it freaked me out. I did ok, learnt how to get back up when up turned, but I didn’t feel comfortable about it @jugglingmum

I just think it’s right to sell Poppet. I won’t get to use her, so it’s the only thing to do

I’m enjoying the peace and quiet of living in a field ???

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve found some dyes that say they are for polyester... I will give it a whill in a week or so @Bikerbeth After all, the colour just will not go with anything now, so it will either work and be useful, or not and they will go in the spare room

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s ok @Woo2 , I know where the ironing board is ... I’ve just not felt the urge to pull it out of the garage ?

The TV stand is still eluding me ... that’s not so good ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s amazing how a whole extra day off can make such a difference. I’ve had just one day off a week since March. I’ve then changed to two separate days a week In September. That extra day has been nice, but as it was two single days, it wasn’t like having a “weekend” off

This week I had two days off together. ? I felt so energised that I went to that ultra cheap supermarket and bought fifteen, yes, fifteen conifers for silly money. Nine bags of compost later ... only the second opened so far. I repotted the fifteen conifers today. They are now placed around the line that will be fenced, so I can work out where to plant them.

Tomorrow I will be potting the fifty six bulbs I also bought today!!

Work felt like a breeze. I floated through tonight ?