The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hope you have got some more sleep Sam.

I am hoping this new vet will be more of the “giving fuss” variety than the last one @Woo2

I think fussing dogs will depend on the owners. If they are happy to extend the lead so you can fuss their pets, then that’s fine. The virus can live on hard surfaces for 72 hours, so I’m mindful of who Pooch goes up to. I definately wash my hands after fussing someone else’s dog.

Sleep ... my kingdom for eight hours!!!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @nita

I have my fingers crossed that Pooch is fine and I’m just fussing, but he’s not in pain and nothing bothers him. It’s quite safe walking him at night, it’s a bit like a gated community, with just a dozen of us here. I might find living in a normal house on a road rather strange when I do that one day

We are supposed to finish at ten, but often run over. I’ve found the last two or three calls of a night tend to be chatterboxes... which is fine, but it can mean it’s hard to get out the door and keep relatively on time. Still, I’d far rather work till ten(ish) than attempt getting up for an early shift. o_O

Yes, if there is an emergency we do stay, someone needs to let the paramedics in and go through what has happened. I’ve had a few late ones, but not too many

I guess we will get tested one day, but the priority is the nhs staff and families, that wouId be iro 2.5 million!! Add in all the tests needed for those who are showing symptoms .. the number of tests that need to be done is massive, just to clear all of those.

I have a friend that’s had it, said it was awful, but is now on the mend, some clients have friends who have not made it through, but so far no one I’ve had contact with has any worries. Full PPE, lots of hand washing, minimum of four laundry trips a week ... I’m doing everything I can think of to keep the risks to a minimum. My lovely man has other issues, not related to this, he’s just very unwell. I do miss him and his jokes

I’m glad to be working, it kept me sane through the farce of selling mums house and then living in a tin can. I think I’d have been dribbling in a corner without the structure and interaction. Obviously not being able to house hunt, or visit the children and grandchildren has given me too much time to sit around, so working is helping me as much as it’s (hopefully) helping the clients

I don’t know what the “facts” are about animals and C19, but I work on the theory that I don’t want to touch anything that I don’t know who else has touched it ... animals, door handles (do less harm .. use your arm), petrol pumps etc. My poor hands live in gloves, but it’s better than the alternative

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch went to meet his new vet today. He was so good. I was allowed to go in with him, masked up of course, but the discomfort was fine by me, if I could be with him

Three needles, not a flinch. So brave, so trusting that I wouId keep him safe. They’ve taken samples and biopsy, so it’s a five day wait to see what happens next. Infection, cyst or “mass”, either benign or malignant

The vet was lovely. Pooch was super brave. I’m £200 poorer :rolleyes: It doesn’t bother him, everyone asked how he’s getting on and very sweet about it

In other brilliant news ... my lovely man is coming home. I’ll see him next week.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Brave pooch and what a lovely relationship you have so that he trusts you in that situation. Fingers and toes crossed that it is benign and can be simply removed.
It is great that you will see your lovely man again.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh I’m so pleased your lovely man is coming home and you can see him soon :) .
Glad you could go in with pooch and that he was very brave . My friend **** tzu had a couple of cysts on his back , luckily they were drained and were nothing sinister , hope the same for pooch. ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
When the vet asked if I’d be ok holding him, or if she should get a nurse, I really, really wanted to say get a nurse, but I knew I had to be brave for Pooch. He wouId stress if I wasn’t there to hold him. I couldn’t believe he just stood there as she stuck him with a needle. I’d have flinched, but he didn’t move, didn’t whimper... brave boy @Bikerbeth ?

Going to have to try to ignore it for the week. He’s got to be ok. Not even thinking about that. I can’t.

So pleased to be seeing my lovely man next week. How will I not hug him????

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m relieved my lovely man is coming home @Woo2 ... can’t wait to see him. He’s a real tonic at the end of a shift. It’s like popping in to see an old friend. We just natter about rubbish. I have the best job in the world.

I’d been told by everyone that the vet would take Pooch and I’d have to wait in the car ... major relief that I got to go in with him. He trotted in, walked off to be weighed (he’s gained a kilo), stood still while being prodded and then accepted the three needles. Bless his heart, didn’t flinch.

The vet did say almost certain he will need an Op to remove it ... I’m going to be so poor. My planned £10k kitchen might be a bit sparce :rolleyes: ... hey ho. I don’t have the house it’s going in yet:rolleyes:?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh for goodness sake ... tests done last Friday, told four to five days for results .... allowed for weekend blah blah blah and phoned on Friday (that’s five working days).

Sorry, nothing back yet, they will get the vet to phone me with an update ...

Monday. No call. I give them till mid afternoon ... still nothing, so I phone again.

Blooming irritated don’t cover it. Results not happening. Lost the blooming tests. Can I bring Pooch in for re-testing. Poor love had another three jabs. So, I get to stew for another five days

Its been a rubbish day all round really. My lovely man told me he almost certainly has cancer as well as everything else. He’s happy as that means he will die sooner. I’m not. But I’m not in his shoes.

“Now I lay me down to sleep forever and a day” - Line from a song rolling round my brain

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Poor pooch being jabbed again and ? To you. Hope they pull their finger out and get them back sooner. I also hope they are all good
Sorry to hear about your man - so tough on you

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Unfortunately the news is not great @Bikerbeth , it is a “mass”, can’t say what kind till it’s removed. Pooch is going in for his Op next week I’m taking a few days off so I can keep him company when he has to wear the lampshade ??

My lovely man is coping well. He still has a laugh, but is showing me his fears now ... that’s only taken a year. It’s nice that he trusts me enough to show